Your weapon of choice.

Discussion in 'Pointless Fun' started by Autumnal Wanderer, Oct 17, 2014.

1. Autumnal Wanderer

Autumnal Wanderer Level 28 Ranger

I made this topic, because I think there is a lot of weapon nerds like me so I would like to ask you two questions. Firstly, which weapon is your favourite, which you would use mainly in a post-apocalyptic scenario? Of course I would like to see some reasoning behind the choice :p. Secondly, which weapons you would keep in your stash/ hideout?

So, let's begin with my favourite weapon, the greatest of all, best of the best, the ultimate, you know what I mean :D.
    When I started to interested in this kind of stuff, mainly because of the Metro 2033 novel, I started to think as a roleplayer that how I would approach this thing. I am a stealthy guy pretty much every time (except Warhammer 40k, but that is a different matter) so I thought about some keyword what kind of expectations should complete my weapon. The keywords are: STEALTH; INFILTRATION; OBSERVATION and so on. So I would need a weapon which very silent, has a scope on it, and capable not just automatic fire but also longer range precision shot. I have searched a lot of weapon, but with time I found my love on a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. wiki, (and also read about in the Metro 2034) which is the VSS Vintorez. When I saw the first picture about it I knew this is it. Of course it is have some cons, but I managed to love this weapon whit thoose. Not to mention that the low capacity mag fixable with AS Val 20 rounds mag, or the SR-3 Vikhr 30 rounds mag.
    [​IMG]

My Armoury:

Submachine gun:
    Well, I thought a lot about this, but in this case I would choose an AKS 74U with silencer and Cobra red dot.

Shotgun:
    This will be a longer one. My choince would be the Saiga-12 with foldable stock, Cobra red dot, and might be drum mag. The reason is when I played Metro LL for the first time I almost used the Shambler which has a really long reload time, and I found the Saiga which is using AK like mags, which is way more faster to reload which could save your life.

Of course I would have other weapons Just in case, but theese are important ones, especially the Vintorez. I would keep it with me every time.

2. Dogpatch

Dogpatch Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want to be hauling around half a dozen weapons like we usually do in these kind of games, or anything that's unnecessarily cumbersome. And certainly not anything that might be considered particularly rare in the metro, for spare parts etc. So I'd stick with the 'classics'. I probably feel the way you do about the VSS, but with the AK-74 being my favourite weapon of choice. Especially for its reliability and versatility. Whether in games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R or Metro, that Kalashnikov is as much a part of my character's story as anything else. Makes me giddy just thinking about it. So I do love the AKS-74U, too. The Kalashnikov in a neat little package, perfect for the confines of the metro, what's not to love? I wouldn't leave my home station without it. And with a range of attachments, like a scope, suppressor, flashlight, or whatever you can get your hands on, makes it such a versatile weapon you probably won't need much else...

But such close quarters in the tight tunnels calls for a scattergun, no doubt about it. I absolutely LOVE a simple double-barrel shotgun (NOT the bulky metro-made Duplex). An old side-by-side shotgun, cut down nice and short. That would do the trick! Small, easy to handle, fire and reload quickly. Comfortable to carry, and simple to maintain.

So:
    - AKS-74U
    - Double-barrel shotgun, cut short.

Anything more would be unnecessary, I think.
    This is just in a Metro scenario - other post-apocalyptic setting weapon choices would be very, very different.

3. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

In real life I've only fired a Glock pistol (can't remember which one exactly), the vz. 58, the TT pistol, the Nagant M1895, and the SKS. So I don't have much experience with real fire arms other than those. The SKS was probably the most fun and pleasant to shoot out of those, so I wouldn't mind using it in an apocalyptic scenario since I'm already familiar with that gun. As for weapons I've never used, I would love to try the AK-103, the VSS Vintorez, the VSK-94, and the Vis pistol. In a Metro-like scenario, the AK-103's stopping power and automatic fire would be fantastic. In a more realistic scenario, I would go for something lighter and probably suppressed.

4. Potarto

Potarto Well-Known Member

Well, my favorite gun changes all the time, usually inspired by some kind of game or movie appearance. I love the look of the M14, Five Seven, as well as most bullpup weapons.

As for actual apocalyptic scenarios, an AR-15 would be pretty invaluable over here. Accurate, common ammo, and plenty common itself, so if mine ever broke I could just throw it in a bag alongside a few other ones and beat the crap out of it until a fully repaired gun materialized, a la Fallout. :p

5. Skaara Dreadlocks

I remember we had a thread like this before, but it's really old and lost somewhere in the forum, so it's good that we get a new one up and running :)

What kind of weapon I'd use depends a lot on the situation, so I can't really say. I like crossbows and bows, but despite how they are silent with retrievable ammo, they're not as practical as many might think; first off they're very difficult to aim and hit with, it takes way more practice than real guns. Secondly, the arrow tends to break upon hitting the target, especially with crossbows, because they're so powerful that the arrow just goes straight through and disappears in bushes or cracks against a background wall. And if it doesn't, it usually gets stuck in the target and is difficult to pull out (from what I've heard). They also do less damage, and take more space.

I'd go for the long version of the HK G36; not only does it look more awesome than any other gun I've seen, but it works as both close-range and long-range because it has two in-buildt scopes: a red-dot and another more long-ranged scope. The rate of fire isn't that high, but the caliber-size makes up for that.

I don't know much about pistols, but I'd go with something that's easy to handle, and not a handcannon. Also one that's fairly common, like a 9mm so bullets aren't that rare. Perhaps a Beretta M92, with a silencer. As for melee, there is nothing that beats a katana. It has a great range and it's firmly strong, yet it doesn't weigh too much and it cuts very well with the momentum of how long it is.

As for the VSS Vintores, I love that gun. I've played a lot of DayZ in Arma2, and my favorite choice of weapon has always been the VSS. It's rare to find in the game, but the few times I've found it, I've gone "AWW HEEELL YEEEEE, I'm droppin' this weapon for the VSS!". It's silent, long-ranged and effective.

6. Aaron

Aaron *Currently orbiting Pluto*
    Regular

Well currently my favorite weapon to fantasize about would have to be the AK-12. As much as I like the beautiful 7.62 id much rather be carrying 5.45 x 39 for the same reasons the RF does. It's lighter, more controllable (especially in full auto) and more likely to wound rather than kill which is much better for me and worse for them.

For pistols and especially in an apocalypse I'd want no other pistol than a Ruger .22/45 suppressed. Ammo is for sale at every hardware/sporting store, ultra light ammo and pistol, rugged and reliable, unbelievably quiet and underestimated. Never underestimate a .22lr...

Post-apocalyptic scenario weapons for me vary wildly like Dogpatch said but in a "regular" apocalypse without zombies and stuff I'd go with a Canadian C7A2, basically a copy of an M16A3 but Canadian :)

If there's zombies hanging around though... I'd go back to my Ruger .22/45 suppressed.

7. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

Im going to cheat now

[​IMG]

8. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

This is something I have thought about ever since discovering the fact that semi auto weapons are legal here.
    My conclusion so far is the HK417 (the 16" barrel version). As reliable as an AK, accurate out to 800 meters, lots of customizability (this is a main point for me in an apocalyptic scenario since I will only carry one rifle) and common ammunition (.308). It is also only 92 centimeters long with the stock collapsed, making it around 8 centimeters shorter than an M16.
    With this I would carry both super- and subsonic ammunition, An Eotech sight, a 3x magnifier, a Schmidt & Bender PM II 4-16 x 50 scope, a Magpul CTR stock and a suppressor.
    For a pistol I would carry either a Glock 10mm or a Sig P220 .45 ACP, both due to reliability, the second one due to accuracy and ergonomics. Again, Sig is a highly respected manufacturer, which is another main point for me (like the Heckler & Koch rifle). You just can't have your only weapon break down in a scenario like this.

So yeah, those are my thoughts on weapon choice.

9. Skaara Dreadlocks

Ah, I forgot to mention the AA12: Full-automatic, drum-mag, light-weight, almost recoil-free because it has a counter-weight thing that goes active when firing. It's actually possible to hold it up with one arm and go fully automatic without dropping it, or it flying up into the air. And best of all, it can use explosive shells ^-^

10. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

I like shotguns and rifles. Pistols, ehh.
    I don't really care what kind of shotgun it is; just as long as I get to load shells into it, I'm happy. I like pump action, but I could go for a classic hillbilly type and go for a double barrel shotgun -either side by side barbell alignment or over under, but I prefer over under (like the one in the picture below):
    [​IMG]
    For rifles, I would either go with the M1 Garand or the Mosin Nagant. I think rifles are the most practical in the long run. Of those two, the Garand would be the best to use in a post-apoc synario because it's semi-automatic and acuurate; but then again, the Nagnat looks cooler, and I also gotta consider looking good in the wasteland....hmmm.
    For a pistol, I would just want a simple six shooter. I think loading bullets into the cylinder is fun.

Basically all shotgun can use explosives shells, Skaara. ;)

11. Skaara Dreadlocks

... I know that, but...... NO SHOTGUN IS THE SAME WITH EXPLOSIVE SHELLS OKAY

12. Svetlana Pretrenko

Svetlana Pretrenko Well-Known Member

For my guns I'd go with my AR-10 converted to 30-06 and full auto or semi auto select fire with the bayonet lug off a trench shotgun and the sword bayonet off it as well tactical light and a ACOG sight as well with high cap 60 round mags with wooden stock and forestock pistol my custom .45 jetblack blue nightsights spade symbol on one side of the gun suicide queen of spades on the other for a pistol and for a shotgun my Benili M4 Tactical with folding stock and short barrel.Sorry I picked guns I own but I do love my irons xD

#12 Svetlana Pretrenko, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2014