Quantcast

Why isn't there a superhero RPG?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by William Quah, Mar 4, 2014.

1. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

I know there's DC Universe but that's MMO, I'm talking about RPG. I think it'd be really cool to have either a Justice League or Avengers RPG. There are a ton of story arcs out there that make great story for an RPG.

2. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

To be honest I am glad their are not more I personally am not a big fan of the superhero type games I love the movies, but to me playing a superhero rpg just doesn't appeal to me that much.

3. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member Regular

Actually, there are a lot of superhero RPG's. It's just that there aren't any for the westernized market. In the Asian market, there are tons.

I wouldn't mind a superhero RPG made for the westernized market though. It may not necessary appeal to me, but I believe in choice rather than restrictions based on my own feelings. Just because I dislike something, it doesn't mean everyone else have to be limited to my tastes.

4. CeliVega

CeliVega Well-Known Member

I guess it's the way that the superheroes are portrayed. I think it wouldn't work well with RPG with the superheroes that we are already familiar with. Superman Lv1, Batman lv1......Superman learned flight in level 5! Learned heat vision in level 10!

Yeah......I don't think people like the idea that their superheroes have to learn something that they should already be knowing very well. But it could work well with a nice plot though. Superheroes are stripped off their powers, so they have to learn everything from scratch again......Yeah, that might work.

5. William Quah

Actually that's not a bad idea. Maybe they don't learn their powers but level up their powers instead. Everyone gets their powers by default and have to level up to improve those powers.

6. CeliVega

Well, assuming this is a RPG for DC superheroes, what about superheroes who have no superpowers? The Bat family in general, they have no superpower to begin with >_> Giving them amnesia? As you slowly regain your lost memories you get your knowledge/intellect and fighting skills back......I think there's something lacking......should be something with more impact >_>

7. William Quah

As I was saying, they don't lose their powers but they have their powers and abilities but they start at level 1. In this case, Batman gets his abilities and gadgets but they are weak initially. After you start leveling up, you apply points to his abilities and gadgets. Pretty much like the concept from DC Universe but it's RPG as opposed to MMO.

8. CeliVega

Ah, I see. But what happened when there's a sequel for the game? Most RPG just roll with starting from level 1 again, but that's just odd >_> "I learned this skill from the first game!" "You should know this skill by now!" I guess that's one big problem to solve if we need a RPG based superheroes game.
    Oh and I love DC Universe, what kind of power origin do you start with? Meta, Tech, or Science?

9. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

There are two very good superhero RPGs for the PC. Check out Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Freedom Force. Marvel Ultimate Alliance is available for consoles as well, I think. Freedom Force is a bit older, but also very fun, and you can design your own Superhero from scratch.

10. forte210392

forte210392 Active Member

Actually, almost every superhero movie has been followed up with an RPG. These include Iron Man, Spiderman, and even Wolverine. For me, one of my favourites would be the Dark Knight series. So far, my favorite out of these would be Arkham Asylum.

11. Chris_A

The Arkham series is very good. One of the best licensed game series available. I`m really looking forward to Arkham Knight, the new sequel.

12. pr0xx1d

pr0xx1d Well-Known Member

How could you forget City of Heroes?!?! One of the biggest and coolest MMORPGs ever in gaming history!

13. William Quah

Those are not RPGs man, Iron-Man is action, Spider-Man is open world, and Wolverine is hack n slash. Arkham series is considerec action adventure. Just because we can level up that doesn't make them RPGs.

14. Chris_A

Sadly, City of Heroes and Champions Online, while offering tons of customization options to players, lack any kind of good or engaging content. I tried playing Champions for a while, and stopped after only a few days due to the horrendous grinding you have to do in those games.

15. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

Superhero games keep to the action, beat 'em up and open world genres but that's cool by me. These genres fit the Superhero theme better, in my opinion. They usually have some light RPG elements too, at least, but pretty much every game does nowadays haha.

16. Aymie

Aymie Active Member

I would play one, but it would have to be decently made and my decent I mean amazing. On the edge of my seat waiting for the launch and slightly foaming at the mouth. Most people I know would rather this not happen because too many "cooks in the kitchen" would ruin it by altering story-lines.

17. Lucky120

Lucky120 Well-Known Member Regular

Well there is one I know of and it is Marvel Ultimate Alliance. I have played this game actually, but I do not play it anymore. There are a few of them, but you know you have to search for them and see if you like them. I thought that the marvel was okay, but I really did not play it that long.

18. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

Now that Lucky mentions it, Marvel Ultimate Alliance is apparently pretty damn good. I remember hearing it was basically Pay 2 Win when it came out but now it's a true Free to Play game. I have two friends who play it a lot and they've enjoyed it greatly without spending any money. It also plays similarly to Diablo, I believe? Not sure.

I have not tried it out myself, but yeah. It's worth checking out for anybody who wants a solid superhero RPG. I mean, it's free. Nothing lost by trying it.

19. Jun Yun

Jun Yun Well-Known Member

Are there games wherein I could play as Darth Vader? loljk. Marvel Ultimate Alliance is great, try it out. I've played it once on my friend's house.

20. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannon Well-Known Member Regular

I'm sure that eventually there will be a Super Hero RPG. Along the line, someone is going to realize how much revenue they can bring in from it and it will be made-especially considering how big super heroes are right now in the film and gaming industry.