Who here thinks that Fallout 2 was one of the best games of all time

Discussion in 'Fallout 2' started by Pepboy2000, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Pepboy2000

Pepboy2000 Member

I have a place in my heart for Fallout 2. It was the game that shaped my future as a hardcore gamer. Sure it had its issues and some bugs that would drive you crazy, but it was simply the best of its kind upon release and in some ways today. The only thing that touches it even today is Wasteland 2.

36 people like this.
  2. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think you're the only one that thinks that, but I'm not judging. Most of my Top 10 favorite games consist of games that nobody else would agree with. Fallout 2 was a fine game. If it's the reason you became a hardcore gamer, then all the more power to you, and I mean that without sarcasm.

One of my favorite games of all time is Final Fantasy Legend III, which was a nothing-special RPG for the original Game Boy.

3. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

I also think that Fallout 2 was one of greatest RPGs ever made. From the atmosphere to your companions, to the End-Boss. It was truly epic. And it is very rare that a sequel surpasses its predecessor. Because Fallout 1 was a really great game as well.

36 people like this.
  4. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Member

I have recently purchased a gaming system and found this game, the upgraded version. I think I am going to have to get a copy of the Fallout 2 and explore this edition of the game. I seem to be getting way more information on Fallout 2 than anything. I played the New Vegas and Fallout 3 at a friends house and then went out and purchased it myself. But now this forum is making me want Fallout 2.

5. Chris_A

Regular

You could try picking up a copy at Good Old Games. They modified the game, so that it can run on more modern systems. And it`s also really really cheap. I think you can get it under 5$. It is definitely worth trying out. And if you liked New Vegas, you will love Fallout 2.

6. cassidy

cassidy Member

While it may not be the absolutely best game ever, it is certainly up there in the top five of all time for me. If it was a gateway to hardcore gaming for the OP I can clearly see how it would rank that high for them, because it really is a fantastic game.

7. bitterestcup

bitterestcup Member

YUP.

Fallout 2 is one of those rare games that took everything you loved about the original and either kept it or added to it, while simultaneously getting rid of what people didn't like about its predecessor.

I don't think it's perfect, but it is in my top 5 games of all time, and I think it deserves to be viewed as an artistic masterpiece.

8. Chris_A

Regular

I don`t think there is anything in Fallout 1 that people did not like, but Fallout 2 took the first one and somehow made it even better. That is a rare feat in the gaming industry, and only a few game series managed to do it. Baldur`s Gate and Mass Effect being a few of those.

9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Well, Fallout 2 is everything that Fallout 1 wasn't but I don't think it was the best game of all time. There are definitely better titles out there, but the game was good nevertheless.

10. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member
    Regular

Fallout 2 is still the best Fallout game to me and I'm sad that there's no one making similar games seeing that there are so many Kickstarter and Indiegogo game projects based on nostalgia greenlighted. Someone, or rather some developer, should do something about that.

11. pspzombie

pspzombie New Member

Fallout 2 is in my top 10 video game list. I actually got my first introduction to the Fallout series with Fallout 3. After putting about 200 hours in on Fallout 3 I decided to check out Fallout 2 because people raved about how great it was. I gave it a try and I initially was a bit disappointed with it. After putting some time into Fallout 2 I began to see why people liked it so much. The graphics are certainly old school but the depth and mechanics are brilliant. If you like Fallout 3 or NV give it a try - I think you will like it.

12. LIGHTSOUT

LIGHTSOUT Well-Known Member

Now, granted, most people who've played Fallout 3 and NV haven't played Fallout 1 and 2 - I personally think they're both great games (especially with the unofficial patches, they restore a lot of content and fix a lot of problems people have). They both have a distinctive kind of charm to them.

13. Snakevenom

Snakevenom Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm probably the only one here who'll say this but I actually preferred wasteland 2 to Fallout 2, There's no single reason but Wasteland 2 felt significantly more deep and I had more fun with it. Fallout 2 was a great game but it wasn't the best, in my opinion.

14. Spectre456

Spectre456 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Fallout 2 was a good game, but I wouldn't say it's anywhere near to the best of all time.

15. harpazo22

harpazo22 Well-Known Member
    Regular

2 was awesome, but not the best game out there. There are tons that were more thrilling to play.

16. Delirium

Delirium Well-Known Member
    Regular

Don't get me wrong, I think Fallout 2 is a great game, but it's not even anywhere near the Top 10 games of all time. There are just way too many games that are simply better than Fallout 2, the other releases from the Fallout series included.

17. razer

razer Well-Known Member
    Regular

It was a good game for its time, but had a lot flaws. I don't think it should even be on the list of top 20.

18. dabdab

dabdab Active Member

Fallout 2 was a great game for it's time and it certainly had a large influence on gamers, however, by claiming it is the top game is inaccurate since there have been many games that have far surpassed the level of Fallout 2 and should deserve their place at the top.