When is virtual reality coming to MMORPGs?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by BroknKyboard, Dec 15, 2013.

1. ProNine

ProNine Well-Known Member
    Regular

Be patient, we have got the Oculus Rift already which is a great step in the gaming world. Everyone is really hyped about so developers must be working hard on it.

2. breadandstuff

breadandstuff New Member

Virtual reality is something that has interested me greatly recently. With big name companies like Valve, Facebook, and Sony, throwing their efforts into the ring, you can bet that there will be some quick advancements made in this field.

The money is there, the interest from consumers is there, and it is a new market for them to explore. It would be crazy if game developers were not already considering or planning to use VR on MMORPGs.

I am pretty excited at what the next year or two will bring. If the first wave of VR products are released and the sales are made, you can expect more big names like Microsoft trying to get in on the action.

Until then, I will be looking for updates on any news that anyone finds online! Please share any with everyone here if you find some.

3. lefttowrite

lefttowrite Member

There are probably devs working on this as I'm typing. Virtual Reality devices are exploding in the mainstream right now. I've seen numerous feature articles of people testing virtual reality for things such as video, games, and other mediums of entertainment regarding sight. Just imagine a game with an indepth storyline, twists and turns. To be fair though, I'd honestly fear for my life if I was playing BioShock or another heart-racing FPS with a virtual reality helmet. For a calm adventurous ROG I'd be all for it and I know the makers of big games are as well.

4. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

But this is just their prototype. I've also watched conferences, trials, and demos. Each player said it felt way too heavy on their head after awhile and caused discomfort. It's nice to see where it's come, and where it can go, but it's not quite where it needs to be, even in the Oculus stage. It has to start somewhere, to be certain, but it's in no means ready.

5. sorrowscall

sorrowscall Well-Known Member

I think we're a bit closer than 5 years coming to a virtual reality MMO thanks to products like the Oculus Rift becoming more and more available in congruence to other products also becoming more available for MMOs and MMORPGs. If we continue to delve into research and products like that at the speed and professionalism we're going, we could see it becoming available in the next 2 to 3 years; with the 5 year mark being when it becomes more widely available.

6. Briggs

Briggs Well-Known Member

I don't think it'll be much longer at all. We have all the individual technologies. We just need to take the time to put it all together.

7. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

I think it's going to take some time for it to get support because it's not so much realistic at the moment. I think that MMORPG games themselves need to support VR, it would need a lot of editing to make it comfortable for both users, and developers would need to update a lot on the game when it comes to movement and all sorts of world environment before it is implemented.

8. rightct

rightct Well-Known Member

I think that Microsoft had the incentive of promoting a virtual reality-like sandbox to be available in the future. I don't know what their project's named, but if I find out before you, I will undoubtedly tell you. :)

9. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Well-Known Member

Sadly, even if MMORPG comes to virtual reality, I most likely won't be able to even try it — mainly because I'm poor and usually get nauseous when I play most 3D games.

10. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

I can relate to that so badly. It's a bit unfair that only the so called "rich" or "middle class" can offer such devices. I know for sure, I can't afford it.

11. Touchstone

Touchstone Well-Known Member
    Regular

It depends really on the advancement of technology. Considering the Oculus Rift and similar technologies are coming out, I think it's only a matter of time.

12. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

It is a matter of time. But Oculus Rift has a lot of imperfections which give you the sense that there is no virtual reality, it's just a direct screen through lenses. The movement makes you sick.

13. superbobby

superbobby Active Member

I think this is the next big leap to MMORPG games. It will revive the MMORPG genre when it comes out.

14. Kyler

Kyler Well-Known Member

Absolutely.