When is virtual reality coming to MMORPGs?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by BroknKyboard, Dec 15, 2013.

1. BroknKyboard

BroknKyboard Well-Known Member

It would seem like RPGs and MMORPGs are by far the most suitable types of games for introducing virtual reality, yet no studios have even entertained the idea or speculated on it...
    How many years do you think it will be before we have a highly functional Virtual Reality MMO?

2. dresdor

dresdor Well-Known Member

Probably within the next 10 years, probably closer to 5. I don't think technology is quite there yet. It will not become mainstream for at least that long, probably longer

3. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I hope not anytime soon or if it does you have the option of turning it off I can only imagine virtual reality having many side effects like headaches, nausea, and seizures just to name a few.

rabst likes this.
  4. Astdua

Astdua Well-Known Member
    Regular

Soon hopefully, at least a primitive version of it.

One of my shh secret wishes is, that within my lifetime stimulated virtual reality becomes advanced enough offering hours and hours of immersive gameplay, where you can just login to a world and stay for days, playing with your friends and having adventures.

It's actually not that far off, technology has been amazing lately...

5. Rice

Rice Active Member

I would have to agree with this; I'm somewhat on the same boat, hopefully not anytime soon. It's a definite possibility in a decade or so, even if it may just be a simplistic version I just wouldn't imagine it being all too healthy. I don't even want to know the amount of eyestrain it would cause, seeing as I'm a chronic migrainer, electronics have a pretty bad effect as is. I wonder if it would be somewhat similar to the 3D that the 3DS creates. Even if it was relatively "safe", I wouldn't imagine it for being safe for a prolonged period.

On the other hand, if there was an option to turn it off, how would it function otherwise? By controls, interaction with other players in an VRMMORPG just seems odd.

rabst likes this.
  6. soupsalad

soupsalad Member

The technology for this is actually in development right now so it'll probably come sooner than you expect. There's a device in production called the Oculus Rift which is pretty well along in development and you can even order a development kit yourself to try it out. It's not true virtual reality because it's just the visual aspect but it's a good step in the right direction.

rabst likes this.
  7. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

Yea the technology is defiantly their, but they have to do a lot of test or else it will end up being a repeat of the virtual boy.

rabst likes this.
  8. BroknKyboard

BroknKyboard Well-Known Member

I think the technology is their, it just needs to be adapted to MMORPG game-play. So far we've seen goggles (the Rift), 3-D treadmills, and advanced body motion sensors (the Kinect). Theoretically speaking it could be achieved within the next few years but practically speaking none of these companies would even be willing to try combining their devices, and by the time one company has all elements in check it'll be years from now...

9. kellykr09

kellykr09 Active Member

I hope in the next 10 years or so. I would love for them to create a virtual reality RPG. Too bad technology hasn't advanced to that point yet. I would pay some serious money to get my hands on something like that. It would probably become a profitable market, especially for gamers who tend to be a little more introvert.

10. fireinyourwords

fireinyourwords Well-Known Member

I would love to do a Skyrim game with the Oculus Rift. I can't even imagine joining the real world if this was a real game. I thought it was immersive enough on its own, but to have the Virtual Reality aspect? My family would never see me again.

11. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

Probably in about 5 years or so. We are NOT quite there yet but we are getting there. Closer to 10 for anything like Sword Art Online.

12. Tersuss

Tersuss Well-Known Member

Well considering the recent release of the Oculus rift or rather I should say re-release as the idea for it came out many years prior to now but there was no market for it, let alone no computer with a processor powerful enough for it to run, however I would see it taking anywhere between 5 to 20 years before we see any kind of total immersion gaming technology, I certainly hope it doesn't take that long because I'll be well into my forties then ha.

I would like to see a game much like Sword Art Online come out for it when the technology is available though.

13. t0rnad0

t0rnad0 Well-Known Member

I think Oculus Rift is going to be a huge success and get more game developers to design games with the technology in mind. MMORPG's would be a great candidate for virtual reality so I really can't wait for the technology to take off.

14. llllllllllllllllllll

llllllllllllllllllll Well-Known Member

Damn, you beat me to it. There will be a Sword Art Online 2 this year by the way, I'm so excited for it. :D

15. gats

gats Well-Known Member
    Regular

It will probably be at least 10 years for this to happen. We would need both advances in computer hardware and worldwide internet infrastructure for this to be mainstream.

16. Delusional

Delusional Well-Known Member

As soon as the Oculus Rift is available for mass purchase, a lot of game developers will implement it in their games. It's amazing to see what this device can do. There is also a device that really let's you walk and run in real life but I don't know if that will ever be successful.

17. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

Yeah, It's going to be pretty freaking sweet dude. Yeah, it's going to be a long while until anything really neat when it comes to virtual reality. Oculus Rift is just the tip of the iceberg.

18. Psybe

Psybe Well-Known Member

I would say pretty soon considering the riff thing becoming big recently.

19. thejamal

thejamal Well-Known Member

hopefully soon.

MMO's would be the most conducive game that would work with virtual reality. Unfortunately, we have to wait for technology to catch up.

20. Lostvalleyguy

Lostvalleyguy Well-Known Member

I think the timeframe on VR in games depends a lot on the level of immersion you are looking for. The technology exists for 3D glasses and audio now. Even with the fastest processors and good internet connections, however, you would know it is a game because the graphics are not reality. With the advent of accelerometers in technology, we can now mimic on the screen our actions in the real world. A more immersive experience will require this technology be improved somewhat before we can truly see live action.

I think 5 years is realistic for a pretty good 3D experience on a limited scale. 10-15 years from now and we should be seeing more immersive games and a much more complete experience.