Quantcast

What's your least favorite nation to play against?

Discussion in 'Civilization V' started by jasonr299x, Aug 1, 2016.

1. jasonr299x

jasonr299x Active Member Regular

Personally, I hate playing against Germany. The huge boost they get from defeating barbarians early makes it a lot harder to fight their units early on. I have a very aggressive playstyle, so it bums me out to see German units having such a big edge over me early on. I've gone as far as turning off barbarians in my games, simply because it was too annoying to deal with. I guess that's a lame way of dealing with the problem, but I don't like having my Civ games any harder than they should be. Anyone else?

2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

Yeah, the germans are quite annoying and when I was learning how to play I turned them off as well, it was too hard. I'm now having trouble with the Italians, they develop quite well in every campaign I play and it's starting to get on my nerves.

3. Casiox

Casiox Well-Known Member Regular

I personally enjoy playing against Germans, It somehow feels like I am giving it all trying which makes me come up with good strategies and moves to successfully beat them down, they're quite hard as well but I always manage to make them run away from me.

4. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member Regular

I like playing against the Germans the most as I find them the most challenging. At first I hated it but as I got better I eventually started enjoying this the most since the other ones got a bit easy for me though they are all equally entertaining.

5. jasonr299x

I think the Germans are definitely a nice addition to the game if you're looking for a challenge. However, I usually play Civ as a game to chill in, not to work my hardest at winning. I've spent so many years playing competitive video games, and now, I just want to lay back and let the game go smoothly. I usually end up trying to make some changes to the game that'll make it slightly in my favor, but not a complete stomp. If you enjoy a challenge, more power to you. I just enjoy being able to relax while seeing my civ ramp up to something unstoppable :p

6. AgentD22

AgentD22 Member Regular

I hate playing againts the native american civs in this game. But I hate it in a good way, because I think the devs wanted me to feel this, so hear me out.

The one thing I hate about any game, is a CIV trying to take resources away from me, and the Indian civs always spam cities so they always become a huge problem for me, but I do love that I hate them, any kind of emotional connection I get to the game is always positive.

7. jasonr299x

That's weird, I've never heard of someone disliking the Native Americans! To be fair though, I see where you're coming from. I usually just take over some small city states as soon as I start, so I'm never too short on resources. Having the Natives taking away all of the land off the start must definitely be annoying. Come to think of it, I rarely play against them, so I can't really give a good opinion on the civilization. To each their own though, everyone's gonna have a different opinion of the matter. For example, apparently my friends love playing as and against Germany. Not sure how, but that's just the way life is.

AgentD22 likes this.
  8. bluesnow

bluesnow Member

The Zulus.... they're so aggressive and they have pretty decent fighting bonuses.
    Their civilization also spreads really quick... one turn they have once city- then it feels like 30 minutes later they have 5 more cities and have encroached on my borders taking all the near by natural resources.

The Shoshone are also pretty annoying because they will plop down their cities and their boarders will be huge. I actually love to play as the Shoshone, but if I find they're anywhere near my civ in early game I will usually restart rather than deal with the rage.

9. jasonr299x

Yeah, the Zulus are pretty annoying too. They're probably my favorite civilization to play as, though, so I can't blame anyone that plays as them. However, I definitely agree that they're one of the more aggressive civilizations. I usually leave them enabled, but when I'm going for chill games, I'll disable most of the hostile civilizations and just roll over all of the passive ones. That's one of my favorite ways to play the game, but most of my friends play the game for a challenge, rather than a chill time. The way I see it, if I'm looking for a super competitive game, I can boot up an FPS or fighting game and try my best to win. Civ is best played as just a way to unwind, in my opinion.

10. DeeDee

I totally know what you mean. Most of the time I do just play some of the easier comps and I only sometimes play the challenging ones if I'm feeling particularly chipper or focused that day but yeah most of the time I do prefer just zombying out and playing somewhat on autopilot growing my forces.

11. jasonr299x

That's exactly how I play. It's so relaxing to just come home and make as big of an army as possible while watching a movie or show on my other monitor. Back when I had time to play the game all day, I focused on the challenging aspects of the game. Now that I only have a few hours to play each day, I try to play more relaxing games than stressful ones. My logic is that I'm stressed throughout the day, so why should I be stressed at home? Especially when gaming, which is supposed to be a fun way to pass time. Although I will admit that I usually go for a super long gaming session on the weekends, and I'll try to get some challenge in then. But during weekdays, I try sticking to cruising through the games.

12. DeeDee

Yeah now that I think about it I think I kind of like playing this sort of like a casual game or as close to it as I can like something like plants vs zombies or something. I usually try and find a way to play games like this as much as I can especially when I play while watching something on tv lol.

13. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member Regular

I like to play against native american . It is very difficult

14. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member Regular

the Zulus is fucking annoing!

15. HappyKoi

HappyKoi Member Regular

I turn off barbarians sometimes, so the Germans aren't quite as annoying, and I often turn off City States. The Zulus are pretty annoying. The Songhai annoy me on island maps because of their bonuses, but the Romans are awful, too.

16. gyakenji

gyakenji Member Regular

Gandhi. Within a couple turns, he already wants to be your friend. I thought he was nice and all, and we had a nice relationship.

Fast forward to many years later in the Atomic Era, and suddenly Gandhi becomes all annoying and covets my land and stuff. Finally, boom! He just nukes out my cities.

Definitely the worst villain in this game.

17. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member Regular

I think it really depends, but for some reason I have always had difficult experiences with the Zulu. Maybe I am just remembering things in a weird way, but that always seems to cross my mind whenever I encounter them. Sometimes the English really get my goat too.