Quantcast

What Temple in Ocarina of Time was your favorite?

Discussion in 'The Legend of Zelda' started by Shimus, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

From any of the primary temples to the young Link's deku nutty experiences which temples stick out as your personal favorites? I have two.

First Personal Favorite:

The Forest Temple:​

From the Eerie echo of this tune to the total isolation it left behind, I was a kid going through this temple. The warble was really creepy and yet mysterious. The boss fights were entertaining and the wolf fights at the entry were pretty fun. Not only that, but the Minuet of the Forest was a very beautiful song when they played it unison. This is also a bit of a bias because I remember Saria calling for help and I wanted to rush to save her. Yknow, Hero of Time isn't much of a hero if they don't save the damsel, yeah?​

Second Personal Favorite:
    The Shadow Temple:​
    From the need to use the Eye of Truth to discover pathways, to the shifting pathways on chains that lead to Stalfos fights, I really liked the layout of the dungeon. In some spots the falling through the floor if your weren't paying attention was annoying as well. Not only did this temple have some wonky mechanics that make it memorable... it had one of the most TROLLSY bosses of all time: Bongo Bongo
    What do I mean? I mean, you fight through all of this creepy stuff. And the best they can throw at you is this? ​
    [​IMG]

Not only is it's visible weak spot obviously the giant red eyeball that stands out against pale skin.. the fight begins.​
    BOOM​
    BOOOOM​
    BOOOM​
    BOOOM​
    Suddenly link is flying around. I'm thinking this is fun! Nope. He dies in a few eye pokes. Oh wait! He has another attack? What? It's not an attack? He just increases his rhythm? Dafuq. Good one, Nintendo. Gooood One.​
    [​IMG]

So, what are you favorites? Why?

2. Mage-a-Holic

Mage-a-Holic Member

Maybe I'm masochistic but my favorite temple in the game was the Water Temple, by far. I spent so much time running around that place trying to figure out how to raise the water levels and keep Princess Ruto in check that I actually learned a lot the dynamics by memory. When I played Ocarina of Time again years later I could run through that place with my eyes practically closed. You also get to fight the famous shadow link and acquire the longshot. I've always been a fan of puzzles and blues my favorite color so that might also have something to do with it. My only gripe with the water temple, besides me wanting to rip my hair out the first time I did it, was the boss fight. Morpha was one of the most boring bosses in the game, but Shadow link makes up for it tenfold!

3. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

I'd have to agree on the Water Temple. It was challenging and a little unfun at times, but I loved the experience nonetheless.

4. Nolan Watt

Nolan Watt Well-Known Member

I know I'll get a lot of flack, but the Water Temple was super rewarding after getting through it.

5. anadrotowski

anadrotowski Well-Known Member Regular

I couldn't stand the Water Temple. It was a cool and interesting temple, but after the end of it, I was just glad that I finally made it through the watery hell. My favorite has got to be the Fire Temple. It was one of the most appealing temples in my opinion and it was just an enjoyable ride throughout the temple.

6. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

I liked the fact for the Spirit Temple you did pieces in both the past and future to trigger certain things, and where one of my favorite items, the Mirror Shield, was located. It was so pretty. With the Hover-Boots, the Master Sword, and the Mirror Shield, and red tunic or blue tunic, Link truly looked badass.

7. Natalie89

Natalie89 Member

I always liked the Fire Temple. I found the Water Temple (both the child Link and adult versions) too difficult and always ended up frustrated by them!

8. Dame6089

Dame6089 Active Member

My favorite was always the Spirit Temple. I really liked the aesthetic and sound of that temple. Also, it is the first time you encounter an Iron Knuckle which is awesome. The witches at the end are probably my favorite boss not only from the gameplay, but also because they have personalities unlike most of the other bosses.

Shimus likes this.
  9. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

That's exactly why I enjoyed the Spirit Temple. It held such an atmosphere of "awe" when you first visit it as a kid and adult, exploring different segments of the Temple. Then the Iron Knuckles, and the the Iron Knuckle Boss guarding the Mirror Shield was a fun fight, and then Twinrova was a fun boss. Redirecting their elements to hurt the other while dodging the other was probably one of the more fun boss mechanics in OOT.

10. Dame6089

Dame6089 Active Member

Great point with entering as a child first then taking it on as an adult. While I think that Ocarina was revolutionary for how it use dthe time traveling back in the N64 era, they really would have made an even bigger impact if more of the challenges involved having to go between child and adult Link.

11. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

True. Or just more temples in general. The game already did feel expansive, even with their limited world because of the back and forth time travel. They probably just could have hidden some more temples somewhere. But then against, that's my fanboy talking for dungeon crawling. So not every dog can have it's day.

12. Dame6089

Dame6089 Active Member

Yeah more temples would have helped. Essentially, once you become an adult, they made it seem like a downgrade to go back to a child. And the game really only required you to go back two times (Well, Spirit Temple) after becoming and adult.