Upcoming Contests, with Treats!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Skaara Dreadlocks, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Skaara Dreadlocks

... And these are not the treats like when old women give you an apple on Halloween, or like when LastLightForum gives you 'bullets'.
    I've been talking with Maurice, and we've agreed to get a promotion for the forum to the works.

What sort of contests there will be, I don't know yet. Some serious, some less serious. Some difficult, some easy. Aaron and I will discuss this closer soon. Meanwhile, you're welcome to come with suggestions, in this thread, to what kind of contests we should have, and ways that we can spread the message of these contests. The best places would be gaming communities like Steam (Don't forget to join our group!), Origin (if anyone even uses that :lol:), GoG and the likes. Other places would be great too, like social networks and perhaps acquaintances in real life if you feel for it.

We highly appreciate every contribution that anyone comes with, and we'll of course do our utmost best, ourselves, to get this in progress.

As for what exactly the treats are, well... Let's just say that if you want to contribute in the contests and be one of the several people who are going to win the prize, you should wait with getting Redux for a while ;)

#1 Skaara Dreadlocks, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2014
  2. Good to know I only have to worry about gameru.net (And the wiki, if we get some additional keys). I got 4A to be the judges for the contest :pop2:

3. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

Awesome! Though, if one of us happens to win, could we get the old lady treat instead? o-O

I'll try to think of some contest idea in the mean time..... There is this one contest idea, which I'm borrowing from another forum (not nearly as great as this one though), that has the contestants record their favorite moments of the developer's current games (in this case: Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light) and upload them to Youtube; but I don't think it's much of a good idea because not everyone has the software and materials to do so :/

I will try to think of some other ones.

4. Skaara Dreadlocks

You what now? Say again, please? :twitch:

:lol:

True, but it's a good idea. Who knows, maybe we'll have so few contestants in the last contest(s) that we can actually do that. One idea I just swiftly came with, is taking screenshots in the game. A maximum certain ammount of screenshots per person, and the best one wins. One contest for the funniest screenshots, one for the most good-looking etc.

Another thought I have is using a quote from the game, like one or more of Khan's mysterious sentences, and ask what's the meaning of the quote and who does it refer to. Questions that rather require a longer answer. As long and detailed and explaining as possible, in fact.

And other types of different Metro quizzes that are a little more difficult than just "how dangerous is demon". Like a bunch of different fun-facts questions about the games, like "How many eyes does a Shrimp have?" and so on. :p

5. I got people from 4A Games to be the judges for the contest with Redux copies as prises on gameru.net.

6. NuclearWastE3

Regular

Hey, that's like the contest I made last year! :p
    It's a good one though. Only problem for me is that I can't figure out how to make Steam take screenshots. Even though I have Steam enabled for it be able to take screenshots, it still does not work! I"ll make sure to figure how to make it work before the contest. Can people on Xbox and Playstation take screenshots?

That sounds challenging.

I just thought up of another possible contest: a Photoshop contest. Most computers should have a simple version of a Photoshop program, like Microsoft Paint, that comes installed as a default factory program on computers ; if not, it is always possible to use an online photo editor for free. People can photo-shop around Anna, Khan, Uncle Bourbon -whatever, just as long it has something from metro in it- into funny scenarios or create a new mutant by morphing all three of them together! Basically, Photoshop anything metro-related into anything... O_O

There is always a story contest, but that didn't work out too well last time. :eek:hwell:

----------------
    :clap:....I'm scared.

7. TotalAaron

TotalAaron The Oracle of Awesome

This is going to be great :D remember that drawing contest we all had that was fun :)

8. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Sounds like a neat idea. I already completed M33R, but I wouldn't mind winning a copy for a friend of mine. He's the only hardcore fan of Metro 2033 that I know in real life (other than him, it's just you guys - my internet buddies). I can't say my friends irl have a very good taste in games. :p If we are doing a screenshot contest, then I might reuse some of the ones I uploaded to my Steam account if that's allowed (though I'd restrain myself from using those that I uploaded to the Metro Wiki). Btw, will the prizes come in the form of redeemable Steam keys?

9. Skaara Dreadlocks

That's what I expect they will.

Things are going a little slow, with a lot of IRL stuff going on, and we're waiting around for Aaron to get a word in before we start anything, considering he's admin too. :)

10. NuclearWastE3

Regular

Whoa, Aaron's also an admin?! Nice!! Where was the ceremony with all the balloons, the music, and food?! :D

Well, I don't know how long you've been a secret admin for, Aaron, but congratulations!

11. Aaron

Aaron *Currently orbiting Pluto*
    Regular

Sorry for the waiting people but I have returned from Pluto (Definitely a real planet) to take part in this. I'll start making small conversation with Skaara shortly to get this going.

And yes I'm an admin, slightly incompetent, but still by title. And for a while to, like a year or something.

12. NuclearWastE3

Regular

I guess your name being blue threw me off. Well, since you're an admin, and admin names -at least here- are yellow, I don't think you should change your username to yellow. It works for skaara's name and avatar, but for you, ehhh. Its not Aaron-like. Plus, the blue goes very well with you avatar :D.

@Skaara: Not saying that when you were blue, your name and avatar looked funny, Skaara. They went together as well.

13. Darkbringer

Darkbringer Huntsman

*retarded post, please delete*

14. Skaara Dreadlocks

Well, practically you're right that he is a Super Moderator, but so am also actually I. We're rather Moderators with extra powers, than Admins with limited powers. But, considering there's nobody ranked higher than us on the forums, we technically are Admins. Aaron and I have the same powers, the only difference is that I went to the edit-menu and changed my rank to Admin so I got a yellow name. The change did nothing more than that :p Thought despite me and Aaron being the same rank, I like to think to myself that I'm higher ranked than him because I was admin before him and I was the one who chose to up-rank him ;)

But then again, it's not like I'm worth than Aaron, or Aaron and I worth more than anyone else. We're all cooperating and doing what we can with the forum. Let's not forget TheStalker and Komodo Saurian, who're both equipped with Moderator powers and are deleting spam and making other contributions. With that said, I do have some minor plans brewing, regarding what we're talking about. More than that I won't say :laugh:

EDIT:
    About the contests, it's going a little slow because Aaron and I are able to answer about one message to each other per 12 hours, because we've got so different timezones. He probably comes home from school/work about an hour before I go to bed, or right after. At the same time, we've still got IRL stuff that we do. But fear not, we'll be quick about it! :)

#14 Skaara Dreadlocks, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2014
  15. NuclearWastE3

Regular

:-O
    Yes, you four do an excellent job in keeping the forum clean from spambots as well as making sure everything is neat and organized. Once in a while, a spambot may get in through our deferences, but it's not a big deal. That can be blamed on Harley. :heh:
    ----------
    No need to rush. Besides, Aaron just traveled the entire distance of our galaxy in a matter of hours -perhaps even a day- and was willing to communicate with us shortly after his arrival, back here on Earth. With that determination, tis be the only true way a peasant, like I, can show his'm gratitude and let the all mighty forum-lords travel back up into sky city and have a millennium's worth of rest before they descend back to the people of the metro. :)

16. Aaron

Regular

What ever you say Skaara, just don't hurt me again...

And the only reason its a little slow other than the timezones is that I work between 4pm and 3am which doesn't leave me much time, but I'll be tryin ma best!

17. TotalAaron

@OtherAaron how the hell did you get to pluto in the first place? and how did you get there in the few hours between shifts?

18. Aaron

Regular

A better question to ask is why I didn't bring you anything back.

As for the upcoming contests I'm still waiting for Skaara to agree to the details I sent him in a PM some days ago. For once it's not me who's late!

19. rolfwar

rolfwar Well-Known Member
    Regular

It's just going to be US only anyways, like always.

20. TotalAaron

I think this breaks rule number 48.9A

"Trips to pluto must be authorised by both Aarons with gifts to the non-going party"

So BAN HAMMER!!!