Quantcast

Top down view or 3D Zelda?

Discussion in 'The Legend of Zelda' started by Skycube, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Skycube

Skycube Member

Which do you prefer?

I like the top down view games better just because it reminds me more of the original. Plus I am not the best at puzzles, so I find the puzzles in the top down games a little more manageable.

Zelda ALBW is my favorite Zelda game so far, but I am eagerly waiting for the Wii U edition.

2. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

Sounds like you're stuck in the past. Also, there are no plans for a Wii U edition of the game, as far as I know. Why would there be? 3D Zelda games are so much better than their top-down counterparts.

3. digitalsatori

digitalsatori Active Member

I'm very much stuck in the past. I loved the old top-down Zelda games, along with the old Ultima games, Dragon Warrior, etc. Don't get me wrong, the new games are great - but they don't have the same magic for me that the previous games did.

I'd love an updated Zelda game with an isometric view and the modern day graphics.

4. May102014

May102014 Active Member Regular

Me either. I definitely love the old school type Zelda games. I prefer the top down view, it helps you see the puzzle more. Add to the fact as if playing with the top-down view wasn't confusing enough. Though 3D would be lovelier. I'd still go for the first edition games.

5. ato2000

ato2000 Member

I prefer the 3D games. I find them more emerging and just more fun. The top down view games have better puzzles, but 3D puzzles can be a very complicated and disorienting. I think most people like the top down view just because nostalgia and I have a lot of great memories too, but the 3D games are, at least for me, better.

6. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

3-D puzzles are more challenging and more interesting to play, ration out where to jump what to do, what is grapplable what isn't. Etc. On a 2d version you sidescroll. On a Top-Down, you only gets bits and pieces. I feel TOP down is excellent for hand helds because they have to make the puzzles that much more harder because you have one dimension less to work with so you get creative.

7. Obvcynicae

Obvcynicae Member

To me, the 3D games are superior to those that are in top down view. I prefer the way that you can see your character moving and manipulate it in that manner in the 3D games. I suppose another reason for my preference is just the fact that I prefer the graphics in the 3D games over those of the top down games. Finally, the additional challenge provided by the 3D games, as mentioned by a few other users here, is also appealing to me--while I may not like it very much the first time I play through a game, I will almost certainly like it the next time.

8. gadin210

gadin210 Well-Known Member

I personally like the 3ds and such version of playstyle. Im not a avid fan of top down view

9. Shimus

Shimus Well-Known Member

Top down is where it came from, and Top down can still be alive and well on the consoles I find /handhelds I mean.

But the world has shifted into 3d so you're going to find a lot of 3d fanboys and people saying 'I can't stand the dated top down graphics'. But just like everything else, the games had to originate from somewhere.

10. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member Regular

I like the 3d view. Not that I hate the top-down view but of course most people like realistic game nowadays.

11. RolePlayer

RolePlayer Well-Known Member Regular

Side scrolling view. Then top down. Then 3d view. I like the 2nd game on Nintendo followed by the first Zelda game.

12. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Well-Known Member Regular

I have never gotten the chance to play any top down Zelda games. I have played only the 3d ones so I can't say which is better. I can usually solve puzzles as long as it has nothing to do with water temples!

13. anadrotowski

anadrotowski Well-Known Member Regular

I prefer the top down, along with the style that goes with it. It really gives a nostalgic feel to the game.

14. loulou

loulou Member Regular

I think the fact that I never got a chance to play Zelda until this past year and having my first game be Ocarina of Time answers this: 3D. I don't mind top down since I grew up on NES games, but the 3D looks so nice, especially on the newer remakes. There is just something about it that seems to pull me in more and feels more engaging, though I can understand why people would like top-down more.

15. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

I like top down Zelda more for the puzzles and the dungeons. But I also like 3D Zelda more for the exploration, the environments and the combat.
    It's hard for me to choose, honestly. I wanna say top down because those two things I listed there are what I like the most about Zelda.

16. Jboh

Jboh Active Member Regular

I don't know if I can choose between the two, haha. I like the item and dungeon design of the top-down Zelda games much more, but the 3D games have a much more cinematic feel and (in my opinion) much better combat.

17. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

Supposedly the new Zelda game they're making is going to be like a 2D Zelda in world design, but with 3D environments and exploration and combat. The best of two worlds. I hope it's good.

18. vegito12

vegito12 Well-Known Member Regular

I would go for 3d as top-down games can be frustrating at times as you have to be aware of what is going on and it can be easy to have someone attack you if you are not paying attention in the game and not everyone will find the top down view games as they were different to the games people are used to and does require some getting used to. I did play some of the Zelda games which were top down view and it was alright if you were alert and not good if you were half asleep or just woke up as you may not feel like playing the game, and may make the wrong move and get attacked by the enemy and lose a battle that way. I reckon if a new one was made now it would work out as the graphics are good and also the characters would be better looking and story can be enjoyable for the people who are new to the series or want to give this game a try.

19. DeathXXXXGun

DeathXXXXGun Member Regular

By far, I prefer the 3D view on this game. I love the interaction you can get with the game in LoZ Phantom Hourglass and Twilight Sword. They are both amazing, as are the rest, and I completely love the 3D view. Birds eye views are too simplistic and restrictive, but they do work as well. This is but a simple opinion of mine ^^ Great question, man!

-DeathXGun

20. TheRedCap

TheRedCap Active Member Regular

While top-down Zelda is classic Zelda, I personally prefer the more immersive 3D experiences. The story tends to be richer and the game play is more varied. Ocarina of Time is considered by many to the greatest game of all time due to its revolutionary take on 3D fantasy action. Also there tends to be more hype surrounding the 3D releases then the 2D ones for the 3DS.