Quantcast

Too much hate for the 3rd

Discussion in 'Mass Effect' started by Zombie Lad, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Zombie Lad

Zombie Lad Well-Known Member

I understand that the 3rd was hated by many fans because your decisions in the previous 2 games didn't factor into the ending of 3. I was a bit annoyed by this as well, but I thought the ending was well done. Could of been better, but it's something I agree with. Now I know there was DLC released to a new ending, and I enjoyed my outcome as well. I just don't see why people were so mad about it. I know the developers promised that your actions would matter, but they still made these masterpieces for you, so why complain?

But to each his own right? Discuss whether or not you like or hate this game.

2. BattleAxe

BattleAxe Well-Known Member

I really liked this game, probably one of the best RPG's I've played after the Elder scrolls series on consoles. I never played any of the other games in the series, so I can't judge comparing it other games expectations.

3. Nickey22

Nickey22 Active Member

I was quite disappointed the way the game ended. I was expecting some crazy ending, but what I got wasn't what I wanted, especially since everyone had the same ending. The developers promised that your actions throughout the games would impact the ending. I still enjoyed the game, but when you put so much into this series and have an ending not worthy of your time, it kind of irritates me. ​
    When they released the DLC, I was happy about it. I'm happy to see developers listen to their fans. Now if every developer would actually do this. ​

4. SwordHungry

SwordHungry Well-Known Member

I thought it was an ok game, nothing special but was entertaining for the most part. I hadn't played the 2nd one, so it was all completely new to me. Is the 2nd one any different and is it worth picking up?

5. The ending for the third pretty much ruined it for me. Then I watched this video. The indoctrination theory, while not the official ending, is the ending I chose. It makes so much sense, and to be honest makes the entire third game a lot better. I suggest you watch the video and then go back and play the third game with it in mind; everything makes a lot more sense, although it could just be me.

6. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member Regular

Can't say I was a big fan of the 3rd one. I played through it mainly to get to the end... it didn't have the same feel as the previous 2 ones did. I'd give the 1st and 2nd ME 10/10, they are easily one of the best games I've ever laid my hands on. Unfortunately I can't say the same about the 3rd one, it wasn't bad but it was missing something. And the whole forced multiplayer thing is so annoying!!

7. Game

Game Member

Well, I do agree that there's a lot of hate going around for the third, but some of it is justified. I mean, the ending, to some people, is the most important part. It's the part where you finish playing (mostly), it's the last memory you'll have of the game. If one person rants, that's trivial. But if hundreds rant, they probably have a point.

8. kelemenur

kelemenur Active Member

Never got arond to playing the third, to be honest. All the hate from the community kind of put me off, plus I started uni a few weeks before it came out. The first two were awesome though. Is it worth a shot anyway?

9. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

It was an OK game it was not my favorite Mass Effect game, but I enjoyed the game the 1st time through once I beat it I didn't play it too much after that.

10. jardantuan

jardantuan Active Member

I haven't played the third yet. When I moved out, I bought a new Xbox, but when I tried to recover my save files from the Xbox my brother and I shared, I realised he had decided to delete them to "make space". I was naturally furious.

I haven't since found the time to play through them both again before getting the 3rd. It's on my list, but it might not be until next summer that I actually get a chance to work through that list...

11. jbepp

jbepp Well-Known Member

Mass Effect 3 was a HUGE disappointment for me.
    I loved the first one and liked the second one, but the third was atrocious. Your choices didn't matter and it was way too linear compared to the first one.
    And the ending... my god. The ending made me feel that the choices I had done until that point were useless since I could just choose the ending that I wanted.

12. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

Mass Effect franchise was probably the best game I ever played. The ME 3 ending was disappointing at first but after the patch I started appreciating the creators viewpoint and the way they decided to end the series. It could have been 10 times better but overall the franchise was amazing.

13. jcannon

jcannon Member

I never finished it. I've barely even started it, to be honest with you. I just did not have fun with ME 3... I couldn't even tell you where I am in the game because the story didn't drag me in enough. I don't remember any new characters. I think Kaiden is with me, again? Every time I try to remember where I am, I start remembering the end of Mass Effect 2 and getting angry... (not that it was bad, I just did poorly at that ending.)

14. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member Regular

I know how you feel. The only reason I played through ME3 was to see the storyline come to an end. While the ending certainly wasn't anything spectacular it was still worth it.

15. Martin

Martin Member

The ending disappointed me, but in fairness the games leading up to it were amazing. I think that set my expectations somewhat higher than they otherwise would have been. Also, the original version was a little confusing. If the mass relays blew up, did that mean that they took their star systems with them (the answer as it turns out it is no, but that wasn't entirely clear to begin with). And any ending which leaves players uncertain as to whether or not they destroyed a vast amount of known space isn't really a good one.

16. Gyrfalcon

Gyrfalcon Member

The Mass Effect series was, by far, one of my all time favorites. The characterization, cinematic scenes, and sheer amount of detail to world building left me awed. I can't say that I adored the ending of the third game, but I was content. Even though all three endings felt pretty much the same, if you take the time to really think about the consequences of each of the three choices, there's a ton of room for creativity. If they'd spent more time fleshing out the epilogues of what happened for Control/Synthesis/Destruction, I think it would have made players much happier, if not the state of ecstasy many desired.

17. rosacrux

rosacrux Well-Known Member

Mass Effect 3 was as good as the previous 2 games. The ending was awful, but the game was beautiful. I enjoyed that the customization was deeper and the story missions are mostly amazing.

18. rapo96

rapo96 Member

Even though the best one in the series for me is the second one I think people disliked the third too much; sure, they dumbed down the RPG part and made the story very linear but it was an overall enjoyable experience and I felt the combat was smoother and more fun than the previous two games.

19. WorkingGamer

WorkingGamer Member

I certainly do think that 3 got a bit too much hate then it really deserved, I mean sure the ending originaly was not the best ending but people should think less about an okay ending and more about the sweet rollercoaster that was the whole story; also how your decisions actually affected the game internally for the most part and you could actaully be a little less Good vs. Evil about it.

20. Linkzelda41

Linkzelda41 Member

I also feel that the indoctrination theory is what can really salvage this game. People were presuming that even if the theory was plausible and could extend to the next Mass Effect, they felt that would be a cop-out for the developers to state that they probably messed up somewhere in the process. However, if you look at some articles and even the twitter accounts of the developers, they were obviously foreshadowing that there’s going to be some connection.

Whether or not the whole experience was actually a dream, I think the indoctrination theory is what can sustain the game from having some continuity. However, there have been statements that the next Mass Effect won’t really revolve on what happened with Shepard. Either they’re hinting there’s going to be another Mass Effect after that, or they plan to hopefully distract the fan base a bit before they can come up with a better story plot.

I guess people just don’t like games that give subjective endings and forces them to speculate, and use a higher level of cognition for once. It’s a simple tactic for the fan base to be interested (somewhat) and anxious to see how the developers can make or break the franchise.