Quantcast

Things you hate in an RPG?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by lindbergh, Oct 12, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindbergh Well-Known Member Regular

Okay, so all of us here love RPGs. But don't you also have things that you hate when playing RPGs? Here's the list of things that I hate:
    • Repetitive fights
    • Random battles
    • Backtracking
    • NPCs that say boring nonsense
    • Dying just before I beat a boss
    What's yours?

2. drkn335

drkn335 Well-Known Member

One of the things I find most annoying in an RPG is a complicated upgrade system. I don't mind upgrading weapons and armor if it is simple, but when they have really complicated upgrade systems I get really annoyed because it makes me noobier than everyone else. I also hate open PvP worlds (where you don't get a choice to join it or not) because I constantly get killed. And I hate filler quests! I don't want to take this parcel/letter to [insert name] do it yourself!

3. Teemo

Teemo Well-Known Member Regular

There is only one thing that I absolutely hate on almost every other RPG I've ever played. And that's the leveling system. I tend to farm monsters for items, on every RPG, to see what they drop and what not, and by doing it I also gain lots of experience points, this resulting in playing a rather non challenging game as far as fights goes. It's a big disappointment that in order to enjoy a game, you have to "rush" it.

4. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

The only thing I cant stand in some RPG's is farming for rare weapons and armor I know their supposed to be rare and all but a 0.05% chance is crazy you have to have extreme luck on your side.

5. Rocketman

Rocketman Well-Known Member

I hate random encounters. It's so frustrating when you need to get through a dungeon and end up in a battle every 2 squares. Then I get even more lost because I get distracted. It was the main thing that ruined my experience in Pokemon games.

6. Zlyuka

Zlyuka Well-Known Member

I do really hate complicated equipment building systems like there were in DAoC and Ultima Online. It's where you had to do exact match on every equipment piece and calculate them all together so no stat/skill goes over caps.

For example your character can have +70% of every resist and now you have to go on Mission Impossible: craft and collect every item with 70% cap in mind so your resists look like 65%/69%/70%/63%/70%, and if you go 71%, that extra 1% is wasted.

7. Vegany

Vegany Member

* When every 5 steps you take you hit a battle. I much prefer seeing the monsters and having the ability to evade.
    * When they have a HUGE world and don't give you faster means to back track or travel around until a lot later in the game.
    * When there isn't a save point before a boss ( Yes I actually had this happen. This was in Arc Rise fantasia in the tombs. It took 30 minutes to go all the way through everything, and they just never put a save point before a boss that can instantly petrify your entire party. I went through this about 6 times before I just gave up and watched a let's play. Too much grinding to get to an acceptable level to beat him)
    * Bosses are way more powerful than they should be for the level of enemies you fight in the dungeons.

8. annelions

annelions Member

I also hate backtracking. "Go get 10 bat wings", so you return with the bat wings and you get 2 new quests, one is to collect 15 bat livers and the other sends you in the opposite direction to collect slug slime. Grrr! If this were real life, I would smack you with those bat livers before handing them over. Why couldn't you tell me you needed them before I went and got the bat wings? :mad:

9. chartedlife

chartedlife Member

I really hate backtracking or just item hunting in general. It sucks when you are sent on a sidetrack that only leads to more sidetracks to finally take an hour to get back to the original line. This along with grinding will make me just give up on a game completely.

10. TheViper

TheViper Well-Known Member

I really hate random battles and repetitive fights. It seriously gets on my nerves so much.

11. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect Well-Known Member

That's what the max repel were there for. But seriously, nothing is more annoying than these random encounters, particularly when you're in no state to engage in more fights.

12. Efrahinu19

Efrahinu19 Member

Has to be the repetitive fighting, same enemies but just random spots. Grinding has to be the worst of it though, killing so many of the same thing can get dull and boring. If only the developers can bring in a wild card like a tough enemy that will change according to the players method of fighting. I think that would be neat and something different than the same thing over and over again.

13. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

I played many RPG's in my life, and all of them have their flaws. I hate long cutscenes that can't be skipped, repetitive dungeons or fights, stupid bots, bad control or interface and uninteresting endings.

14. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

Yea that can be annoying, but most rpg games have items where it stops random encounters for an x amount of time.

15. TheViper

TheViper Well-Known Member

The repetitive fights is what kinda made me not want to play RPG's anymore. It just got boring overtime and I ended up picking up Duke Nukem Forever. I would rather play a crappy game then to just do the same thing over and over again.

16. Zlyuka

Zlyuka Well-Known Member

Dying when you fight a boss when said boss has 1% hit points left usually means you can beat this boss, just need to try harder. It's hardly annoying but in fact very nice - but only when you haven't killed that boss before or are still learning the fight after a few kills.

17. BroknKyboard

BroknKyboard Well-Known Member

Too much grinding. I'm okay with some grinding, I've even come to expect it, but having to kill hundreds of useless slime-like creatures just to get one level is really annoying.

18. Rice

Rice Active Member

I absolutely hate random battles (though thankfully they don't exist as much in RPGs now, rather they're enemies you run into to engage in battle) the sudden encounters began to get quite annoying that I'd always use money to buy an item that would lessen them, if there was one. It honestly made battles quite repetitive at times, especially if I was backtracking and was too overpowered for the area. That and grinding. It's honestly not fun defeating the same combination of enemies over and over just to be a decent level; usually I just went into boss battles extremely underleveled instead, despite it being a struggle.

19. kimjongchill

kimjongchill Active Member

I personally can't stand the fantasy aspect to most RPG games. Dragon Age and Skyrim are two prominent examples.
    The random battles, the repetitive tasks and dying are all things that have been keeping me away from the genre recently.
    Oh, my attention span has decreased over the years, so that's a major reason why I don't play them as much any more.

20. courageoflions

courageoflions Well-Known Member

1. Needless items that have a minor effect but are magical in nature. Especially when they are in excess (in the 100's+). Where's the splendor and awe in having a "Magic health potion" when you have nearly a thousand of them as well as "Resist 0.56% frost damage" potions littering your bags?
    2. X amount of Y quests. These "Fetch this, kill that" routines get really old really fast and just feel like reskins of the same quest.
    3. Simple combat combined with a small ability pool. Nothing is more mind-numbing than clicking the attack button until you've defeated the enemy.