Quantcast

Stealth mechanics, what do you know ?

Discussion in 'The Division' started by Steve Dawson, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Well-Known Member Regular

There are a lot of conflicting stories about the stealth mechanics on The Division, with some reviewers claiming there will be virtually none on PVP and only a minimal amount on PVE. Do you think that stealth is a vital part of gameplay for this type of title, or do you consider it secondary to other considerations ?

2. Yosh

Yosh Well-Known Member Regular

I think it's probably going to be the case where some characters rely on stealth, while others rely on brute strength. It'll be an important factor on characters that like to use an element of surprise to maximise damage.

3. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

We already see some kind of stealth mechanic when they're hiding behind covers, positioning themselves before actually opening fire on the enemy. But that's just it, I really hope there's more stuff.

4. Dawnish

Dawnish Member Regular

Some stealth has already been shown, such as the hiding behind covers and positioning. Really hope there's more though, it just doesn't seem right to only promote one type of gameplay... I mean, wouldn't you rather have options? Well I guess we'll wait and see, hopefully there's more focus on stealth then we've seen.

5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

I don't think the game will be based on stealth. The game seems like it will focus more on direct combat rather than strategy, but we might have some stealth missions as well. I hope they don't focus on just one style of gameplay.

6. harlek

harlek Active Member Regular

Based on what I saw so far, I think the stealth mechanic isn't going to be a huge deal here. Although I would say it would add more diversity to the game if they actually added one but I think they're going to focus more on the 'shoot and hide' aspect of the game.

But then again there's really no sure confirmation so the best thing to do as of now is to wait. The one sure thing we know though is that you can take cover and that's as stealthy as it can be.

7. Cyborg Superman

Cyborg Superman Well-Known Member Regular

Yeah it seems to be using a cover system like Gears of War, not so much a stealth type of play. Also once you go Rogue in the Dark Zone, everyone can immediately see you. I also notice this kind of radar thing in the game where you see everyone's location as red boxes or something like that. So I don't think this'll be stealth focused at all, unfortunately.

8. beccagreen

beccagreen Well-Known Member Regular

Is there going to be a stealth system even? I mean I haven't seen every demo video out there but I think the only stealth thing in the game is the cover system (which reminds of GoW)

Well it's an MMO and probably has some RPG elements to it so who knows, maybe there's a 'class' system or something that might utilize stealth but I don't think it has.

9. karamara

karamara Active Member Regular

I don't think there is. So far I think there is none since you have that radar thing and even if you can hide in the environment your radar and your enemies radar would pick you up and point at you with a big red light.

Although wouldn't it be great if they have a decent stealth system in the game? Kind of like SC's spy's versus mercenaries?

10. Steve Dawson

That would be great, although I know it won't be as good as that. It just seems a shame that such an important element of this type of game is going to be a low priority for them. I'm still hoping that they are just keeping it quiet at the moment and we'll have a nice surprise once the beta testers start reporting back on whats present or not.

11. karamara

I agree with you on that. Besides, wouldn't it make more sense to add a stealth aspect to game since it's basically about surviving and not getting shot? I mean it's established that the world (or at least America) in the game is pretty much in trouble and food and water is scarce so being able to utilize sneaky tactics, at least for stealing supplies would be a great addition to the game mechanic.

12. Steve Dawson

Yes, it adds so much, a whole new dimension to the game. For some players, like me, a good stealth system is my biggest form of defense. Having players with varying play styles makes the game better and more varied for everyone, even players who don't use the stealth system themselves, because they have to deal with players who will make use of it.

13. karamara

Exactly! Isn't that the main point of MMO RPG's? Being able to rely on your teammates and your own 'role' to benefit the team and yourself? I honestly think that this game would be 10 times more fun to play if they add those elements in. Imagine hunting down a thief that stole your supplies and starting an all out faction war because of that, where everyone has they're own strengths and disadvantages.

14. Ishmael

You know what? I totally forgot about that. That's a real shame and it's also disappointing if you can literally see anyone on the map. I mean at least make us SPOT them before showing us where they are...!

15. karamara

Totally! I mean look at other games with a radar system, they don't actually show you where the enemy is until you know there is an enemy there or until you find a way to map them out. But then again this game wouldn't probably have a stealth element to it so there's really no point complaining. But still, a game like Skyrim which is not based on stealth is smart enough to hide enemy locations until you're really close to them can pull it off, then why not do it here right?

16. ilivetofly

ilivetofly Member Regular

I really hope there is a incentive to use stealth in PvP such as increased damage on hit when "under cover" or in stealth.

They will have to balance this out or else we will constantly see everyone hiding around the first object they find and this will result in the PvP getting stale and boring.

17. Ishmael

Yeah I hope there's some tactics that you can engage with a team. It's still a Tom Clancy game so it has to live up to that name, with tactical combat, stealth and so on. I know this isn't Ghost Recon or Rainbow Six, but still that name should mean something.

18. Steve Dawson

Absolutely, just the Clancy name will attract fans of previous Clancy games, who will all expect something with similar Clancy themes. Ubisoft will be sure to try to keep the die-hard fans happy as well as have enough original elements in The Division to attract new fans. Team tactics are still a bit of a mystery in terms of exactly how effective they will be and how they will work at the moment but I think that they will be an important part of the game.

19. Cyborg Superman

Cyborg Superman Well-Known Member Regular

The more hands-on articles I read from people who've played the game, the less it seems like stealth will be a part of this game. It seems to be more towards the Gears of War direct approach with a cover system, and not so much sneaking around. It's not necessarily a bad thing, as it never presented itself as a stealth game to begin with, but it'll definitely only appeal to a certain type of gamer.

20. Ishmael

Oh well, I hope there's enough variety in other places of the game. There has to be something to spice up the shooting mechanics.

: stealth