Quantcast

Sneak bug? Always getting detected even at 100 Sneak?

Discussion in 'Skyrim' started by deathbyprayer, Oct 17, 2014.

1. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayer Well-Known Member

I just realized this last time I played Skyrim. I was playing a Level 40 Redguard Thief with a Level 100 Sneak. Now at first I thought it was just the enemies leveling, since most of the time games with leveling feature would make enemies stronger as you level up higher, but I think it's not the case.

Back before I was in the Dark Brotherhood missions I used to be a ninja. I can even sneak up in front of people. Usually all I would do is get into a higher spot where the enemies can't access and I would just arrow down the enemies while sneaking without ever being detected and that was at Level 60 Sneak, I can even sneak past a bandit right in front of him while wearing heavy armor.

But just recently, once I've finished the Nightingale quest I noticed that I've lost the ability to sneak! It's really annoying since I play the game stealth style all the time. Is there any way to fix this? It seems that once you reached a certain level or finish a certain quest some skills just reset or bugs out.

2. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

Sounds like an unfortunate bug. Do you have any extra saves from before the point you noticed the sneak skill bugging out?

3. deathbyprayer

Yeah that's the problem, I almost always overwrite my saves because I hate clutter on the Load and Save menu. It was a real bummer because I got some sweet armor already and I'm so confident with my stealth skills that I never really paid much attention on other skills aside from my usual offense like Two Handed and Archery skills. So every time I had to fight close combat, I end up running away and getting drunk drinking health potions just to stay alive.

4. WAVWirmer

WAVWirmer Well-Known Member

The only other trick to help fix these types of glitches is it unintstall the game or any mods you have and re installing. If your running any mods some have been known to negate the effects of some skills like what happening with you sneak. Or you could try and just try and make sneak legendary and start it over and get it back to level 100. Hope it helps

5. deathbyprayer

I don't have any mods installed in my game. I'm running it vannila and I never really liked the idea of mods anyway, not until I finish the whole game. I tried reinstalling the game and just turning it 360 degrees but it seems that the save file carried the bug with it I think. I'll the legendary thing, but I think it would be best if I just level up my other skills.

6. WAVWirmer

You dont have to level up the other abilities to get it to legendary. In fact its almost better that you dont because that way when you make sneak a legendary youll get all the skill points back and you can allocate them onto the other skills. And since it seams like you sneak around a lot youll get sneak back up to 100 in no time.

7. deathbyprayer

Yeah I understand that, what I'm saying is that I would level up my other skills too just in case the bug still gets in my way. I really hate how this bug has had it's toll on my game.

8. WAVWirmer

My very first main file was ruind because of a dumb glitch that caused me to not be pick locks so you can emagine how that can cause many problems. Then I had a Ice Spear in my chest that never went away.

9. deathbyprayer

I had the same problem but with my inventory! I once picked up this peculiar looking flute from a cave or ruin somewhere and I have no idea what it's for but it looked important so I took it and then when I went to Solitude, it turns out that it's a quest item for this lady who lost her flute or something so I was glad I took so I don't have to go back to the ruin but the game glitched which caused me to not be able to give her the flute let alone take it away from my inventory which really sucks.

10. WAVWirmer

Yea that happens all the time when you pick up a quest item before you start the actual quest. Its happened to me many times. Once with the lady who lost her brother, the same with the flute lady, and again with an old man who lost his Ax. I always keep a back up file before i enetr any cave or what ever.

11. deathbyprayer

It's really annoying, I mean how could the testers have missed this. They can't be that naive to think that "Oh the players would definitely play this game linearly so we don't have to worry about that". I really hate having to back my files because I tend to be lazy and I just save and overwrite and it brings me out of the enjoyment of the game to have to be careful every time as to make sure that I don't break the game.

12. beccagreen

beccagreen Well-Known Member Regular

I had the same issue with my game once but I never really paid much attention to it because I thought that the enemies where just leveling up as I am so I never bothered sneaking anymore and just went on full combat with magic spells and one handed weapons. It's always a good idea to have your other skills hones as well.

13. WAVWirmer

I forgive them only because the rest of the game is that dang good. And the small crippling glitches are far and few. Some are pretty funny and nice to look at and have a good laugh at. Its a shame that something so minor as staring a quest to soon can ruin a story line.

14. deathbyprayer

Yeah that's the saving grace of this game, it's so good that you tend to forget the things that ruin it. So far I never really encountered any game crashing glitch. Yeah it's annoying, it makes me think that the game is rushed into release without proper testing.

15. deathbyprayer

That's what I thought to at first but it's just way too obvious that it's bugged out. Unfortunately for me, I never really got a hold of the wonky combat system and more often than not I got killed almost immediately after being detected.