Random Music Thread

Discussion in 'Movies, TV & Music' started by Potarto, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Skaara Dreadlocks

I love Russian (or slavic) music. Don't know if these are Russian, but I've always presumed so, and I like them. I heard them for the first time in GTA IV, on the Vladivostok FM channel. Don't know if they're really Russian, though.

[YOUTUBE]?v=_-pIVd4lGMw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]?v=juj70YsSvAc[/YOUTUBE]

And this of course:
    [YOUTUBE]?v=jCWvOCFDvcw[/YOUTUBE]

#261 Skaara Dreadlocks, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2015
  2. Both are.

[1] [2]

3. Skaara Dreadlocks

So what do you think of them, you being russian and all? I'm guessing you must dislike it; I hate norwegian rap myself. Norwegian music is okay, but norwegian rap.... Just no.

4. I'm not a fan of either.

Russian rap is trying to emulate a music genre born in a black culture. They try to make something they have no idea about, it's kinda hard to grow up on the streets when it goes down to -40°C in winter. There is some nice music, but it feels like knockoff in general.

Delphin has some neat music, but I'm not a fan of the musician himself and not particularly interested in his genre. One of his tracks that I do like is this one, a music video with the footage of the 1980 Olympic games in Moscow, when through great effort the city was transformed into an actual communist paradise from propaganda posters for a few months for the whole world to see. A nostalgic thing I guess:

[YOUTUBE]P47V4SASwGc[/YOUTUBE]

5. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I see where you're coming from and I get what you mean, but also disagree and I personally think the reasoning behind your opinion is contradictory. :p What I mean is that rap is from this point of view no different from many other genres with black roots (rock music and many of its derivatives, for example) yet you don't dismiss Russian rock music for this reason. Besides, Russia is an absolutely huge country so it's not like it goes down to -40 in all cities. And I know that much of European Russia has really hot summers.

Plus I'm sure that much of Russian urban housing is similar to that of Poland or other former Warsaw Pact countries (as most of the houses in the larger cities were built during this period), with yards in between the tower blocks and all that, which are full of street culture or lack thereof. Obviously it differs depending on where you live and what sort of family you come from, but children and teenagers (especially if they were from impoverished backgrounds) in cities across Europe grew up on these streets and formed their own street cultures - in the 1990s that was often expressed through hip-hop. Actually, many of the popular music genres like rock, punk, metal and rap in Eastern Europe arrived from the West. Very little of it really originated in Russia or wherever. The local artists simply adapted it and added their own touches to the same general idea so that it fits their own culture. The same was done when these types of music were "created" by the WASP community through combining and adapting the rhymes that people of African descent had brought with them to America through the slave trade.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a dick, you can think whatever you want to think about Russian rap. In fact, I am not that familiar with Russian rap, but I do really love much of the Polish rap and I'm aware of some brilliant stuff from Czechia and former Yugoslav countries too, so I feel somewhat protective of Slavic rap in general and I think it's underrated. :lol: There is of course plenty of terrible Slavic rap as well, I am not denying that, and some of it does feel as though it is simply trying to imitate a different culture, but the best rappers out there add local touches that give the music and words their own unique flavour.

6. But I do :D

A large part of Russian rock music sucks :( There was a huge surge of bands in all kinds of imported genres after the iron curtain fell and, as with everything people rush to try because it's hip and cool, it sucked diiiick big time.

I'm cool with that, don't worry.

7. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

I see. Well, like you said, it's true for many things that Eastern Europeans got easier access to after the Iron Curtain fell. The same applies to consumerism and economy, which is why half of Eastern Europe is now more privatised and less devoted to welfare than most of the Western European and Northern American territories they wanted to copy so badly. :eek:hwell: But yeah, back to music, I agree with you though I think the same applies to other genres as what I said about rap - the best artists are those that add local touches and adapt it to their own culture. :)

8. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Polish song about vodka:

[YOUTUBE]Hds3_ke551k[/YOUTUBE]

Silesian song about beer:

[YOUTUBE]XmdPKXqPGXE[/YOUTUBE]

9. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

[YOUTUBE]hk__Fo_7gxU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]W7mrXnH-dMQ[/YOUTUBE]

10. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

[YOUTUBE]v48p1tESboA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]vIwNHiCdycU[/YOUTUBE]

#270 Bamul, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2015
  11. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

A few songs about Батько Махно:

[YOUTUBE]MRXfL-9Z3tM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]jro5Cx1kG7A[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]CZqOhz5JtdU[/YOUTUBE]

#271 Bamul, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015
  12. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

[YOUTUBE]iFdiR5jlvMg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]GZMrUJQ3bXc[/YOUTUBE]

#272 Bamul, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2015
  13. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

I felt like posting the original video to Cheeki Breeki video Skaara posted. The song is different (no longer the bandit's song from S.T.A.L.K.E.R.). I use to like this version a lot, but, ever since I saw the Cheeki Breeki one....Man, it sucks now. The Cheeki Breeki one is too damn awesome. Nontheless, I'd want to party with the people from the video. :D

[YOUTUBE]APnPH9u8-zs[/YOUTUBE]

Some 80's heavy metal:
    [YOUTUBE]_UC4RqKSZE4[/YOUTUBE]

Some sick 80's guitar riff (very short) at the very, very beginning and plays throughout song( sort of):
    [YOUTUBE]8wBVThr_qhw[/YOUTUBE]

14. Cruz

Cruz Active Member

15. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Gogol Bordello is great. :)

Also, in case anyone was ever wondering, here is where the Stalker bandit radio melody is from:

[YOUTUBE]bOlm-rsdCBM[/YOUTUBE]

16. rolfwar

rolfwar Well-Known Member
    Regular

[YOUTUBE]uSQt4ckq-dg[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]WGjjSAm2Vvc[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]62cgzX7bZnk[/YOUTUBE]

#276 rolfwar, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2015
  17. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular