Playing and studies

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic!' started by mwin43587, Jun 7, 2015.

1. mwin43587

mwin43587 Well-Known Member

For the students out there, has it come a time that your studies was affected by your addiction in playing? :)

2. Burt Povski

Burt Povski Well-Known Member

Not at all... sort of. Well, sometimes I prefer to play games over studying because of how boring studying can be. So I guess in a way it has affected my studies. But then again, I did alright on my exams.

3. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think addiction to gaming is not really healthy to both your academic and social life. :D You just have to have a bit of self control, and it`s all good.

4. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Kinda. But the thing is... sometimes I don't usually study at home, I prefer to study on my school's library. I always get distracted when I'm studying at home so Library is my best option to get focused on my studies. I also spend 1-2 hours study there almost everyday and when I get home I get to play.

5. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member
    Regular

I tried to manage my time well but alas, gaming filled my leisure hours with joy. I was an average student but above average in English and History so I thought that was good enough to pull my grades up to the honors crowd but no. But who cares, right? No regrets! LOL

6. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

Yes.. sadly yes. I failed 1 year because of my addiction to videogames. Luckly I learned the lesson and I just this year finished the high school!

7. anadrotowski

anadrotowski Well-Known Member
    Regular

I work hard before I play. I mean, I'm there for an education, not for fun and games. I get all my work done and make sure I study for that upcoming test, go to work, and then play a game before going to bed.

8. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member
    Regular

I can certainly say gaming is not a good thing for studying. I am at the moment studying in a college and releasing Fallout isn't going to get me better numbers. However, I take the time when I close the computer and study for exams but somehow gaming seems to always win the battle between studying and gaming.

9. evelination

evelination Well-Known Member
    Regular

Certainly playing games is oftentimes more fun than studying, and obviously it has affected so much in the course of the years. I even missed an important exam due to being addicted to games in a period of time, but I tried to look retrospectively and see that it didn't help me at all.

10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Studying was always boring for me when I was still in school, but I had to balance it out. Too much school wasn't good but neither was too much time playing video games. You have to do both! :p

11. Nkara

Nkara Well-Known Member
    Regular

It's important to find a balance. I started off with the idea that I could do both, play games and study. When I started into my more advanced classes, the games had to go. I barely had time for real life stuff, without the games getting in the way! I told myself that after graduation, I would pick it back up if I had the time available. My luck, I rolled into a job just before graduation that had 50+ hours a week, plus commute-- now that it's the slow season, I'm finding some time to try playing again!

12. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member
    Regular

Ugh, reminds me of some really bad memories. I had a lot of trouble separating my gaming from my studies in the past and I paid for that. Learned my lesson though.

13. HalfBeard

HalfBeard Well-Known Member
    Regular

Not really. I usually can't really relax and enjoy video games, TV, etc until I have my work done. So thankfully, in a weird way that doesn't become an issue :D

14. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member
    Regular

Work first then play. I hate having stuff hanging over my head. It's hard to feel enjoyment when my mind keeps going back to stuff I have to do. I hate studying but it needs to be done.

15. daredevil

daredevil Well-Known Member
    Regular

Not really since I always have time for both. I finish all my school stuff first because I don't like having them hanging. Then I'd go play after. When I have vacant times in school, I play with my PSP but only after I've read the topic on the next class I have.

16. Ridge

Ridge Active Member
    Regular

Right now between two jobs, two kids, a wife and night classes I only allow myself a half hour a day for games. I can't let games take center stage right now...

17. Nkara

Nkara Well-Known Member
    Regular

Good call. It's rough to juggle everything, but even just a few minutes of downtime with a game can help refresh your head.

Good luck with your classes!!

18. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I would have to say that in a way, studying and school as well as life itself has affected my addiction to play games.

19. overcast

overcast Well-Known Member
    Regular

I try to keep things separate. And that way it is getting better so far. i work on this as of now. it's not something that is always working out for me. I guess we learn from our experience from what I have seen.

20. Blader70

Blader70 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'm almost the opposite. While I don't necessarily play games, I do tend to listen to music or goof off when I'm studying.