Quantcast

Most disappointing RPG sequels?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by rosacrux, Dec 25, 2013.

1. rosacrux

rosacrux Well-Known Member

I had high expectations for Final Fantasy XIV, Dragon Age II and Chrono Cross and all of them disappointed me.

2. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

I'd say it definitely Final Fantasy 13. After 12 I thought FF13 would have tried to improve but it's not what I wanted. The new combat system I felt was too confusing at first and the story is forgettable.

3. Rocketman

Rocketman Well-Known Member

Dragon Age II for me. Knights of the Old Republic II was an excellent game, but they forced an early release which cut out so much good stuff from the game.

4. William Quah

I think I'm the only one that thinks that Dragon Age 2 was better than the first one when it comes to gameplay mechanics. Hardcore RPG players didn't like the streamlined combat but I enjoyed it. My gripe with the game was the lack of environment and exploration found in the first game.

5. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I would say either FF X-2 or Dragon Age 2.

6. heyhowareyou

heyhowareyou Well-Known Member

By far the most disappointing sequel (if you can call it that) in my opinion is the Xenosaga series. Xenogears is by far one of my favorite video games, and I was pumped to play Xenosaga and was vastly disappointed.

7. lord1027

lord1027 Well-Known Member

Dragon Age II was a piece of crap... Origins was pretty good, I expected something better from the on their next game, but it was a huge disappointment. Also, I'd say about the same for Fable III, IMO it was ****. I'm still playing Fable: The Lost Chapters and it's much better than Fable III.

8. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

Fable 2 and 3 were pretty disappointing. Quality sure went down between games!

Fable 1 > Fable 2 >>>>>> Fable 3

9. WorkingGamer

WorkingGamer Member

Would defnitely agree with the Fable sequels, though I do not think the first one was all that good either, and that is really the only one I can really think of at the moment that absolutely seemed wretched to me. Also I think Rocket is right that KotOR 2 was not awful but it could have been better, then again it did have quite a bit to live up to.

10. William Quah

Final Fantasy XIII and all its sequel. Sure they are not related to the previous FF games in any way but FFXIII strayed so much from the traditional FF games I didn't really feel like I was playing an FF game. There was no vibe to it.

11. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

Mmm, in RPG's? I'd have to sayyy FF 10. It was just so bad in terms of protagonist even compared to the emo cloud. WAH WAH WAH it felt like a drag to play or even finish for that matter. KOTOR II didn't disappoint me at all actually it's my favorite of the two because of the great writing about the neutrality of the force and what not!

12. lindbergh

lindbergh Well-Known Member Regular

Chrono Cross disappointed you? Why? It's one of the finest RPGs on the PS1. It had such a great story (but it kinda bogged down near the end) coupled with a lot of memorable characters. Did the alternate dimension piss you off?

I do agree with FFXIV. It wasn't what I was expecting from a Final Fantasy game.

13. MrFreshh

MrFreshh Well-Known Member

Dragon Age 2. Dragon Age Freaking 2. Origins was absolutely brilliant in both storyline and the world that they built. Dragon Age 2 had improved combat, though pretty much everything was dumbed down. It was CoD-like in it's ambition. Everything looked flashy but they had forgotten what the game was about. The world was so limited and boring and the story wasn't that great either. Don't even get me started on the companions, either. Boring.

14. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

Everytime someone mentions Dragon Age 2 I remember the whole Hamburger Helper incident. That was funny...

15. averycagle9595

averycagle9595 Active Member

I'm just glad nobody's mentioned a single Elder Scrolls game yet. Phew...

16. AlecD

AlecD Well-Known Member

To be perfectly honest, EVERY SINGLE FINAL FANTASY THAT CAME AFTER 7! No RPG can ever really match up to that masterpiece of a game. It had one of the best storylines ever written for any game along with having the most cutting-edge graphics of it's time. Shit, I still go and play it every now and again on my old playstation. Original disks too. ;D

17. t0rnad0

t0rnad0 Well-Known Member

The Mass Effect sequels were very disappointing for me. They turned the games into overly simplistic shooters rather than RPG's. I still enjoyed the story and the world that Bioware had created but the actual gameplay was very disappointing.

18. Lodismel

Lodismel Well-Known Member

I would have to say that Chrono Cross was pretty disappointing. To be fair I'm not sure how you follow up something as great as Chrono Trigger. I think they just stepped too far away from the original. That's a Square Enix trend though. Even if they come up with a winning formula they don't stick with it. Which can be a good thing.

19. dinomarino1

dinomarino1 Well-Known Member

fable 3 had all the makings of being a class a game and it failed hardcore

20. kelemenur

kelemenur Active Member

Dragon Age II for me as well. Words cannot describe the disappointment I've felt. Origins/Awakening was truly an experience me, and the sequel didn't live up to it at all.