Metro Costume

Discussion in 'Other' started by Lanka, Jun 6, 2012.

1. James the tunnel rat

i'm working on a little metro loadout myself...but I'm having trouble identifying the camo that some rangers wear throughout Last Light and 2033 Redux, its white, blue, and black.

Attached Files:

2. M21 City-1 or Gorod Splav.

[​IMG]

3. NuclearWastE3

NuclearWastE3 The Toxic Avenger
    Regular

Well, I've finally done it and decided to dress up into my Metro outfit. It's rather plain, but what the hell, right? :D
    When I took the pictures, the sun was setting and it was also cloudy, so I had to use some crappy contrast/brightness editor to make the objects, in the photos, easier to see (and I didn't have anyone help me take the pictures, so it was rather difficult). I had also taken a bunch of other pictures -with my machete and pellet pistol- but they looked rather crappy (maybe I'll try again, another time). Let me know what you guys think :)

This one is my favorite:
    [​IMG]

Me, posing like a redneck:
    [​IMG]

Looking good:
    [​IMG]

Just standing:
    [​IMG]

#163 NuclearWastE3, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2014
  4. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Lookin' stylish right there, Nuclear. :D

5. NuclearWastE3

Regular

Thanks, Bamul! :)
    I had to set up my background junk-props, twice, because it had collapsed in on itself when I bumped into it. And as you can see, I was wearing my asbestos filter :p

6. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of your coughalicious death from lung cancer... kidding, of course. :p

7. Skaara Dreadlocks

Nice, Nuclear! :D
    Is that that Islaeri gas mask?

8. NuclearWastE3

Regular

It sure is! And thanks, Skaara! :D
    That one time Autumnal Wanderer was asking about buying a gas mask and what size he should get, Bamul mentioned that the size of the mask does matter opposed to me saying that it doesn't. Well, that same day, I checked the inside of my mask and it had the number 3.1 printed on the inner left cheek. Just thought I should mention the size.:)

#168 NuclearWastE3, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2014
  9. Skaara Dreadlocks

And does it fit well? Do you have an average-sized face/head?

10. NuclearWastE3

Regular

No, not too well. I mean, in reality, I guess it would be best to be wearing some other type of head protection, such as a hooded jacket, but really, the mask seems to fall short of my cheek bones and have small gaps, on the side, where I can kind of fit my finger through (kind of like gills on a fish). I can tighten the straps, on the mask, so I could do the hand test and my mask will collapse in on itself when I breath, but the "gills" will still be there once I breathe out -and I don't think those "gills" are suppose to be there, even tough the mask does seal around my face when I do the test.
    I looked online to see if I could find any different sizes, other than 3.1, for the Israeli M15 gas mask; but the only thing I found was that their are only two types of sizes: kid size an adult size (the adult size is suppose to fit any adult face from ages 12+ no matter what). So I don't know what size I have. It's weird, but just make sure, if you're going to get one, to look for one that is listed under as "adult size."

And I really don't know if my head/face size is average :p. I have an oval like face and stand at about 1.88 m, if it helps any.

11. Skaara Dreadlocks

I've looked at prices on Ebay, and my British S10 SWAT gasmask seems to be averagely more expensive than the israeli version - probably for its design and quality. I think the British mask is a newer model than the Israeli one. Anyway, I do too get the "gills" on the cheekbones, but if I tighten the straps a lot, it fits very very well and really sucks itself against my face all around the edge as if there's always vacuum, although there's not. It does get very uncomfortable after not long, and it really feels like the straps are too tight, but I guess that's the way it's supposed to be, and there's no getting around it - at least not if you want to stay absolutely sure there's no air coming in through the edges.

Other than that, it has a really fitting shape over my face. The chin goes well into its guard and so does the rest of the face. It has a drinking tube of course, and with a sucking-tube that moves to the side when you open the valve with the little handle on the outside, so it's in front of your mouth when you want to drink, and out of the way when you don't want to drink. You can also buy Red Plexi-glass lenses (they smelled like cinnamon when they arrived in the mail, and they haven't stopped smelling cinnamon ever since), and the smart thing about these is that you don't have to go through a difficult operation to switch out the transparent lenses with the red ones; you can just simply smack the red lenses onto the outside of the transparent ones, using a rubber-edge around the red lens that attaches onto the outside of the transparent ones that are king of sticking out from the mask itself. It's a little difficult to begin with, but once you've practiced with it for a while, you can even manage to put them on/off when you have the mask on.

Also, there's two different S10 types; One that has an entrance for two filters at a time, and one that only uses one filter at a time. I have the latter, which means that on the side where there's no filter entrance, there is a round plastic-thing with lots of holes on it, looking like a little speaker. I haven't understood how it works yet. It might be broken, because every time I speak very loud with the mask on, the little speaker-thing kind of sounds like it activates and makes this weird radio-stativ-wave noise and kind of makes my voice lighter so it sounds louder. I think. You can also get a hood for the mask. Either way, it's a really good mask. I just wish I had the versin that can hold two filters at once, 'cause that looks a lot neater :p

-Also, there's the number 3 imprinted on the left outside of the mask, kind of hidden behind the filter. I haven't measured my height in a while, but I think I'm slightly above 1.80, and have a pretty average face.

#171 Skaara Dreadlocks, Dec 7, 2014
  12. Aaron

Aaron *Currently orbiting Pluto*
    Regular

I decided today to put on all of my crap and take a couple photos since I haven't done so here in a while. So here they are, and by that I mean one...

[​IMG]

I was to lazy to put on my dirty boots, sue me...

[​IMG]

I did take the time to have fun with all the filters and stuff though...

[​IMG]

This was back in the summer at my local paintball field rockin' only a pistol and knife.

[​IMG]

This is an old one from last year for Autumnal Wanderer, your not the first one to surprise the camera!

#172 Aaron, Dec 7, 2014
  13. Skaara Dreadlocks

Nice as always, Aaron! Except.... Please explain to me... what's with the gas mask? :lol:

14. NuclearWastE3

Regular

Maybe. I don't know what year mine was made, I just know that it was still currently used in Israel when I bought it. Since then, I know that they have issued one more variation, of the Israeli mask, that comes with the drinking tube spout, just likely our British S10. Oh yeah, funny enough, I decided to look up a picture of the"British S10 Swat gasmask" because I had forgotten how it looked, and two picture of you came out -one with you wearing the S10 and another one where you have a rebreather.
    Well then I guess my mask fits correctly then? I don't know. But it fits exactly the way you've described yours. Mine felt very tight too, and it was uncomfortable, at first, because the mask has little metal brackets that allows that mask size to be adjusted, and those were pressing in, kind of hard, on my head; I sort of got use to the feeling of it after 5 minutes, though.
    The chin area of my mask feels like it could slip from under my chin and re-position the mask if I made a harsh sudden movement with my head. My version of the mask does not have the drinking tube, but I know that the latest version (which came out about after 1 year that I bought mine) comes with the drinking tube attachment. I'm not sure if I should by the latest version simply because I think the mask looks strange with it there, but for survival purposes, it makes sense because you never know when you might need to drink some water.
    :lol: That's great. maybe they're suppose to be like that so that it acts like a warning when you need to change the filter. Once you start smelling the cinnamon lenses, then it's probably time to switch out the filter (I don't know if that's it's purpose, but that's the only thing I could think of on why they smell like that). And the way way you put on the extra lenses on the mask sound similar to the way I change out the lenses for a military flash light that I have. You could actually see the flash light laying on the floor, next to the metal trashcans, in the pictures that I took.
    Mine has the same speaker thing as yours. It's located right under the filter port. I've never tried speaking loudly into it until you mentioned it. I just tried it and I get the same radio-staicy noise when I speak rather loudly; but then it seems to turn off. To me, it also sounds like when you blow, lightly, into a kazoo and it make that little vibrating noise. I read once, that that is actually a speaker/voicebox and it's suppose to amplify your voice. It's not electronic, but it's somehow suppose to make your voice easier to understand than if it wasn't there.
    Yeah, that would be cool. You'd look like a veteran of the metro :)

Edit: Nice ones, Aaron. I really like the custom mask, especially the painted on radioactive symbol and the metal spikes :D. Also, I didn't even notice you weren't wearing any boots until you mentioned it :p. I thought that (whatever it is) the string looking thing next to your foot was the shoelaces to your boot and you didn't feel like tying them. Hey, and did you make the camouflage on those pants yourself? I noticed that it doesn't cover the entire length of your pants.

#174 NuclearWastE3, Dec 7, 2014
  15. Aaron

Regular

The gas mask was just a standard GP-5 (Or whatever it is) that I've had for years. I painted it up as an art project for school. The swirl eye is a pain though cause I can't see through it.

And the pants and jacket are not home made, the uniform is a Russian Gorka-E in Summer SS camo (Partisan). It's authentic and I use it for my Russian paintball setup.

[​IMG]

#175 Aaron, Dec 7, 2014
  16. Skaara Dreadlocks

Ohnoes! I'm on the interwebs! D:
    But yeah, when I think closer, I think mine is older. On the right outside of it there's a circular logo with stars in it, saying "Avon 1989". I don't know if that means the model is from 1989, if the mask itself is from 1989, or if the company "Avon" was founded in 1989. :noidea:

I don't know if the hand-test includes breathing outwards, but it should; there can actually become pressure in the gas mask when you're breathing, at least in mine. I've taken a close look at the system of the whole breathing mechanism, and it's not very complicated. There's simply a flat rubber circle in the entrance for the filter, and it only opens for air when you're breathing in. At the out-breath area it's opposite; the rubber circle only opens for air passage when you're breathing out. In my mask, the out-breath rubber circle doesn't open too easily. I actually have to breathe outwards for a very short ammount of time, and I can feel the pressure building up in the mask, before the rubber circle suddenly pops open, making this weird click-noise. I'm pretty sure it's a purposely in-buildt safety-mechanism to make sure that there's so much air going outwards before it opens, that no air can go into the mask from the outside. So ultimately, no air should be able to escape anywhere else but the designated exit-area.

Hmm, that re-positioning sounds weird. I wouldn't know anything about that. As for the drinking tube, I was once at a cosplay-cafe, sipping coffee with the drinking tube in my gas mask ;)

Hahahaha, I highly doubt that :lol: I think it was just a nice gesture by the salesman, or it's been shipped in the vicinity of a lot of cinnamon :lol:
    I'm not completely sure what the red lenses actually are for, but as far as I've understood it, they're for seeing contrasts in the dark. When using them, I can see that bright things like lamps becomes a lot more illuminated than when not using them. And everything becomes a cool red color :D

Wow, that's pretty neat. I didn't even know about that when I bought the mask.

Awesome! Which of them is you?

17. Aaron

Regular

None of them are me! It's just a picture of Russian troops to display the uniform lol

I wish I had gear like that...

18. Bamul

Bamul S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
    Regular

Very nicely made, Aaron. I'm loving that gas mask. :D

19. NuclearWastE3

Regular

Okay, cool. That's interesting that the camouflage on the pants is laid out like that, though. :)
    --------------------------
    I will be trying to do some night time shots of me walking through some "spooky tunnels" with a lighter. Don't know how it will work out, especially since the only tightly enclosed thing that I could use to represent a tunnle is my bedroom closet :p

20. m1shooter2

m1shooter2 Well-Known Member

So I know I've been pretty dead lately, but my love for Metro has not subsided. Anyways, alongside my FSB Spetsnaz gear that I've gotten lately, I've also gotten some kit for my Metro cosplay that will bring it to what I always wanted it to be when I started this some two years ago. While I'm getting the last bits sorted out, I thought I'd show you guys the completed Kalash as a bit of a teaser.
    [​IMG]