Laptops to get

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by Biffy, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Biffy

Biffy Active Member

Hey guys and gals. I will be getting a laptop very soon and I was wondering if I should get something really expensive or get a budget laptop. I want to know if I'd be able to play the likes of GTA IV, Skyrim, Batman Arkham City and so on. I want to be able to mod many of these games and I want to get a budget laptop as I probably wont be able to afford a really expensive one.

So suggest away brethren.

2. Morgan

Morgan Well-Known Member

A budget laptop wont allow you to play Skyrim and not even GTA IV. To play either game you'd need a super decent laptop, possibly something up to $1000 or so. Laptops don't seem to get as much love as desktops since you could just build up a gaming rig for cheaper than most of the gaming rigs that are being sold. Your best bet is to get a more expensive laptop or build your own pc.

3. LazyEye

LazyEye Member

You should definetely build or buy a desktop pc. It's quite inpossible to play Skyrim with budget laptop but i have been able to run GTA IV on my old cheap laptop. It's not complitely fluid but it's pretty playable.

4. alfonso

alfonso Well-Known Member

Although they're pretty expensive, Alienware would be your best choice for gaming. Based on the list of games your planning to play, your gonna want to get a high performance computer to be able to appreciate those those games with high graphics and decent FPS. Alienware14 would do or if you have the budget for it go for the Alienware17.

5. MorgUK

MorgUK Well-Known Member

Let us know what the specs are and we will be able to help you out. Make sure it has a dedicated graphics card from AMD or Nvidia, but we do need to know what model graphics card as some are terrible.

6. Smokey

Smokey Revillution.net C.E.O.
    Regular

IF you're looking for a budget laptop that plays Skyrim, good luck. If money isn't an issue then I recommend the Asus G75 series gaming laptops. beautiful 17.3" full HD display and quite a powerhouse for a laptop. :) I love mine and it's yet to let me down on any game I've run on it.

7. bknight

bknight Active Member

If you're deeply into gaming budget laptops aren't the best choice for you, as mentioned earlier, Alienware ones might be what you're looking for, aswell as one high specced Asus, but the price on these ones isn't cheap, be it the asus or the alienware.

Smokey likes this.
  8. sushiking89

sushiking89 Active Member

If you can buy a desktop. It is more suitable to play games. Laptop tends to spoil easily. If you really want to get one, buy Alienware unless you are on a budget then Lenovo is also good.

9. casiolol

casiolol Well-Known Member

I advise going the cheap route and getting a Toshiba Sattelite C855D-S5320. It ran me around $500 or so and has worked nearly perfectly for the first six months. I'm crossing my fingers since I have had bad luck with laptops. I would never pay below $500 for a laptop as the screens tend to burn out on the cheaper ones.

10. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

If you have not bought your laptop I would not invest in one to play games on just because from experience laptops can be problematic I would never recommend gaming on a laptop they overheat can't be upgraded and just are not supposed to be gamed on.

11. iShootRocks

iShootRocks Member

You're not smart if your going to buy an Alienware, they are so overpriced. Look into MSI if your going for an expensive laptop, they give you the same power for A LOT cheaper. If you want one below $800 that can run most of the new games today at medium-ish settings I'd look at the Acer Aspire V3. I bought mine for $550 and honestly its the best choice I could have made. No, I cant run every game on ultra settings but I didn't have that kind of money. It's a great budget laptop and I have no problems with it. My friend has the MSI GT-60 and he can run basically any game he wants on high-ultra settings. I'd recommend buying on Newegg just because they discount the prices and they ship quickly.

MSI- http://www.newegg.com/All-Laptops-Notebooks/BrandSubCat/ID-1312-32
    Acer Aspire- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314146
    (They don't sell the version I got, but this is the closest thing to it)

12. pxyc

pxyc Member

Eeeyup, I have the MSi GT60. If you absolutely want a laptop and not a desktop, I'd recommend the GT60 in a heartbeat. I got mine for ~$1100, but you can get a lightly used one on eBay for as low as $700. I have the one with the GT670m in it, and I can run BF3 on medium/high settings at 60FPS, which is really nice. It also has a full HD screen, which is hard to come by in laptops. Overall it's a 10/10 laptop, it's not even that heavy either. Stays cool too!

13. MorgUK

MorgUK Well-Known Member

Nice laptop, my friend has a similar one with a 660m or something in it, but it was buggy. It would switch to the intel graphics when in games and slow right down, even when he disabled the intel graphics it kept doing it.

14. pxyc

pxyc Member

Wow, that's really weird. I was having some issues with mine earlier regarding the switchable cards, but I updated the drivers and it worked out nicely after that. If he still has it, let him know about that and hopefully that could fix it. Mine had an issue with the 3.5mm microphone jack in the laptop not working, but all I had to do was downgrade the sound card drivers and it worked again.

15. xlzqwerty1

xlzqwerty1 Well-Known Member

Isn't it odd how Biffy asked this question in august and has not replied since?
    I don't recommend playing games on laptops, overheats a lot and low battery life. If you're getting a laptop, it's probably for school, so just get an Ultrabook and call it a day. Focus on school rather than games brethren. Build a PC for yourself while you're at it, you'll be much happier.

16. MorgUK

MorgUK Well-Known Member

He got rid of it a few days after, he tried everything including drivers/bios and nothing worked. This was a few months ago though. He got a Toshiba instead with AMD graphics.

17. pr0xx1d

pr0xx1d Well-Known Member

The ASUS RoG Series are REALLY cheap for what you get. I got mine for $1,000 4 years ago and it STILL plays like a champ. Amazing quality for the price.

18. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannon Well-Known Member
    Regular

The Asus G75 series is wonderful, but turn the damn windows updates off. Every time I have them on my computer decided to take a crap. Sadly, my computer's mother board fried due to a spill, but prior to that my laptop ran smoothly and gave me some beautiful gaming time.

19. firelily99

firelily99 Member

I do have a PC but for work I have to travel so I would need a laptop to take with me on the road. It would not be used all of the time for gaming but its a nice thing to have when I am traveling.

20. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

If want a laptop specifically you will have to spend 1k and above. Personally, Desktop computers are a million times better for gaming for a lot of different reasons..