Quantcast

Is Pokemon just for kids?

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by lindbergh, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Ram Levy

Ram Levy Well-Known Member Regular

I honestly don't think its only for children. It is indeed aimed for children, but it turned into a classic game that fits all ages, even adults :)

2. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member Regular

In my opinion it isn't only for kids - it is for all people no matter of age. I actually know some older people still watching Pokemon on television.

3. camsdad

camsdad Active Member

The show I would say is for kids and always will be. The game however for the most part is an RPG, which people of any age can enjoy.

4. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayer Well-Known Member

I loved the show when I was a kid but now, no not really. I honestly think that this series is meant to be played by kids. Even though it has it's fair share of adult fans it's still meant for kids.

5. queenbee

queenbee Well-Known Member

I don't think anything is 'just for kids'. If you enjoy it, do it. Happiness is an incredible thing, and how you get enjoyment (as long as it doesn't hurt anyone) your own business. Not only that, I think it should be admirable.

But if you care what society thinks, then sure, most people regard games like pokemon - actually, just games in general - as hobbies for kids, and it's probably targeted as such. Then again, there are a lot of sly little jokes and innuendo which are clearly only noticeable for older audiences.

6. UObeki1

UObeki1 Member

I dont think its just for kids. he TV show probably. But the games remind of of a more calm and relaxing time in my life which I'm sure anyone of any age can relate to.

7. Burt Povski

Burt Povski Well-Known Member

I don't think it's JUST for kids. I mean, anyone can play it, but it's just more enjoyable for kids. I don't know about you, but I think Pokemon is going a bit crazy now with all the new versions. I can't even keep up with them anymore!

8. wulfman

wulfman Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^^Agree. Adults may or may find it entertaining but it is geared for children. When Harry Potter gained acclaim I read the whole series.

9. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1 Well-Known Member

The show was not to bad, but it is surely geared towards kids. I have fun playing the video games though. It all depends in my opinion.

10. Brady2121

Brady2121 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's just for children. Although I no longer watch the show (It just got too complicated), I still enjoy playing some of the classical games.

11. gats

gats Well-Known Member Regular

Pokemon is definately marketed for kids, but the games are complex enough for an adult to enjoy if you look past the childish graphics.

12. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member Regular

The shows are still aimed for kids but the games I hardly think are just for children anymore. Back in Pokemon Platinum during the scenario at Lake Valor, your character comes face to face with a completely destroyed lake and hundreds of dead and dying Magikarp lying around. The grunts stand around bragging about the mass slaughter they just committed. Sure, the games as a whole seems rather childish but there are moments where adult situations comes through.

13. Arma45

Arma45 Active Member

Do I think it is only for kids? Short answer is no.

Long answer. It is marketed and geared toward children, yes, however, I know several people in the ages of 20-30 years old who still actually play and enjoy this game. Nothing wrong with that.

Perhaps they may not watch the show but the games are still played since they have known it. I have known it for nearly 12 years or so and others who I know, Know the game for around the same time frame and they still enjoy it as much as they did when it first came out.

14. primaLucid

primaLucid Well-Known Member Regular

I know a lot of older people who play Pokemon. Sure, there are many kids who play Pokemon and some may perceive Pokemon to be a kid game due to a cartoony feel of the Pokemon, but for most of us Pokemon was our childhood. Most of the adults who play Pokemon currently played Pokemon in their childhood, so there is a sizeable adult population that plays Pokemon currently.

15. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member Regular

I watch ed Pokemon when I'm 8 and that was 10 years ago. And I still love it until now. I think TV show are for kids but the game is for everyone.

16. Divbyxero

Divbyxero Member

Absolutely not! Heck, even I (18) once in awhile break out my old Pokemon games. I still have some cards that I am too sentimental to give away! Although, I am probably going to gift them to my brothers for Christmas.

17. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

The series is getting so boring and stale that it's not going to be for anyone soon.

18. GoldenWing

GoldenWing Member

The game themselves aren't limited to only kids, people from any age may enjoy them. It'll always have kids as their main objective demographic, though, so there'll always be people thinking it's exclusively only for kids.

It's still a relief to meet people of my age that still plays Pokémon, though

19. sorrowscall

sorrowscall Well-Known Member

I think the anime is geared towards a younger audience while the game itself is geared towards fans of all ages; which explains why the storyline is different in each game and not a continuation of sorts. However, lots of adults also play Pokemon as a form of Nostalgia so who is to really say? I mean, it could be for kids. However, I think it's meant more for a general audience.

20. GoldenWing

GoldenWing Member

I don't think nostalgia is what makes adults play...after all, wouldn't it wear out with the newer games? I think it's more likely because it really is appealing to all ages.