Is Everquest Next going to be A F2P game?

Discussion in 'Everquest Next' started by wowtgp, Aug 25, 2013.

1. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

I really want to play this game right now. They have some really cool features integrated into this MMORPG which makes it stand out from the rest of MMOs.

But my question is this; is it going to be a f2p game or subscription based game? What is your prediction?

2. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I think they should go F2P because it has been proven that people spend waaay more money on F2P it's ridiculous also by keeping the game F2P will give it a larger audience as well because I am sure that their are better P2P mmo's out their.

3. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

But I don't think they are going to go FP2 though. hey will go for either a subscription based game or B2P game.

4. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

Maybe you will have to buy the game, but I don't see the game going P2P because it would be a bad business move people are less likely to give it a try and when ESO comes out they will have to compete with that game which a lot of people are excited for even with the monthly fee.

5. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

Yes, P2P will actually be a horrible idea, especially after ESO coming into existence.

6. alfonso

alfonso Well-Known Member

It really depends on the popularity and number regular players. If the number of players start falling when ESO comes out, they'll have to make it free. A smart move, in my opinion, would be to shift to F2P before not after ESO comes out.

7. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

I doubt that ESO is going to last any long before it switches to F2P or B2P. They can't afford a subscription based game now, they just can't now.

8. Zlyuka

Zlyuka Well-Known Member

Eventually yes it will be, almost all MMOs become F2P with a large cash shop when they age and lose playerbase that is willing to pay monthly fees.

It was the same story with EQ1 and EQII, I even recently got a email from SoE offering me a lvl85 character in EQ 2 for free. And my wizzy was lvl80 when I quit some years ago.

9. toms1

toms1 New Member

Hopefully they won't make it free to play. Every free to play based MMORPG I've ever played has turned in to a complete pay-to-win massacre. This isn't an issue as long as the purchasable items are merely cosmetic, but once small stat upgrades (through armour, weapons etc) come in to the equation then things start to get a little bit hazy.

I've been looking forward to EQ next ever since that first gameplay video, but if they do make it F2P then I won't even bother with downloading it.

10. pr0xx1d

pr0xx1d Well-Known Member

I'd still download it honestly if it was F2P (not at first, though). I feel that quality MMOs are the ones that charge (minus WoW, which I lost desire for YEARS ago).

11. Lodismel

Lodismel Well-Known Member

I think it really depends on how successful it is after the first few months. This is something that we've seen with many other MMOs before. A sub fee isn't the worst thing ever, but it has to be worth it. Free to play has its own share of problems.

12. DomDom

DomDom Well-Known Member

As the other guys have told its am atter of success. The same thing that happened to the Star Wars MMO. They just simply start losing alot of their subscribers after the initial content has been played through and have to switch to other business models.

13. t0rnad0

t0rnad0 Well-Known Member

I don't really want it to be F2P but I also don't want another $14.99 / month game either. They should maybe try charging $9.99 and seeing if that price point can be successful.

14. gats

gats Well-Known Member
    Regular

I would be willing to purchase the game for $50-60, but I wish it won't have a subscription fee. I don't mind it being free to play as long as the item shop doesn't go out of control.

15. DomDom

DomDom Well-Known Member

Maybe a good combination would be around 3-5$ monthly with some payable items in the game. That way you have a base fee and additional things that can be bought.

16. meta_mach

meta_mach Active Member

I wouldn't pay a subscription for it but would pay for expansions and cosmetic items. If it became pay to win I would almost immediately quit playing. But cosmetic items while developing new paid content I would be ok with. I don't like the idea of buying a game and then not being able to play it unless I buy the ability to again every month.

17. DomDom

DomDom Well-Known Member

Most people feel like you, thats why the f2p model is much more succesful than the subscription one. I think LoL has a great model.

18. meta_mach

meta_mach Active Member

WoW was able to get away with a level 20 trial type thing. I don't see why other games wouldn't be able to do the same thing. Even if it was only the starting areas that are open to trial/demo members. If it is a quality game there should be nothing to worry about.