I am beyond hyped for Overwatch!

Discussion in 'Overwatch (MOBA)' started by JC_224, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

If you are really that hyped over it and really have the money why are you setting it aside instead of doing the pre-order?

2. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

At first I thought this game was just a tf2 clone turned south, but now that I see it has been blizzardified, I really love the approach to gameplay. Nothing has me as stoked for a game as this one :)

3. Nytegeek

Regular

It isn't a clone at all. Blizzardified or otherwise...

4. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

I have been hearing a lot about this game in the past but I never gave it much attention but now that I have I'd say I am hyped as well. I'm going to be recommending this to the kids in my family as well and I'm sure we will all have lots of fun playing it together.

5. Nytegeek

Regular

I'm sorry, but from your post it doesn't sound like you know anything about Overwatch at all. If that is the case it would have been better to move on to a topic you know instead of posting something that raises your post count but doesn't add any value to the discussion. You could have at at least asked a question or two about if you wanted to feign interest.

6. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member
    Regular

I wish I could be playing it right now. But the way they're handling beta invites I'm sure I'll never be able to play it before the full release. :(

7. StillWinning

Regular

Uh, they definitely, definitely drop cloned a lot of elements from team fortress. I played team fortress for a long time and the parallels are clear as day. It's not a complete clone, no, but I don't know any advanced TF2 player that does not see the obvious resemblance in many features that are essentially doing exactly what TF did but with a new spin on the gameplay.

8. Nytegeek

Regular

Clone is a bad description since it is an all or nothing term. Similar with transplanted features maybe, but not a clone.

9. daredevil

daredevil Well-Known Member
    Regular

Overwatch is definitely one of the most hyped game in the MOBA genre. To be fair, it has bits of FPS as well in its gameplay. You are right though, it's incredibly hard to be even selected in the open beta.

I do know that Blizzard picked some gamers to test out the game. But honestly, judging from some of these gamers' streams, they aren't even that into the game. I can name a few that plays the game because they truly enjoy it.

As for me, I'm glad to be even part of the open beta. I'm definitely getting this game once it launches. I cannot preorder since my country isn't always on the preorder list of these games... Sigh.

The characters you've chose are pretty solid. But for me, my favourite would always be Reaper. I think he's one of the lesser chosen heroes as well but he can deal pretty much big damage. But it takes lots of practice to even understand how to play him.

10. Nytegeek

Regular

I'm starting to think that maybe Overwatch is being over hyped a bit. Blizzard is well known for advertising and hype though, so it doesn't really surprise me.

11. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

The gameplay is almost identical. You could add a few heroes to Team Fortress 2 and nobody would know the difference. I am usually loath to call games a clone, but Overwatch is almost identical to Team Fortress, even HoTS is more different than LOL and I would not call that a clone but Overwatch is TF with different heros.

Nytegeek likes this.
  12. qag

qag Well-Known Member
    Regular

Honestly, it's pretty fair to call Overwatch a clone. There is an insane amount of similarities. The modes are basically the same, with the major difference being that Overwatch has a mode that combines Payload and Capture. So many of the Overwatch heroes are very obviously inspired by TF2 characters, Widowmaker is sniper, Hanzo is a huntsman sniper, etc etc.

13. krnd

krnd Well-Known Member
    Regular

Overwatch is a fairly fun game, I didn't really care if it was too similar to TF2 or not, it was expected that they'd be direct competitors so I focused on actually figuring out whether I enjoyed it or not.

$40 isn't really a price I'd be willing to pay though for a slightly refreshing game under the same genre of TF2

14. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove
    Regular

My friends have been playing it, but I never bothered to get a beta key, sooo. It looks like a fun PVP FPS game, but it seems some what repetitive. More like a game you play on downtime or something to just chill and play with friends. The trailers looked amazing though! Though I heard it was planned to be an MMO, but it got scrapped and remade into what it is now? Pity, the story potential seemed really awesome.

15. Spectre456

Spectre456 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think many people are in your shoes after trying out the beta. Which is great, because as a multiplayer only game we'll need a huge community to keep it alive in the long run.

16. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Well-Known Member
    Regular

Most new games have this kind of hype surrounding them, last time it was Fallout 4, and it really didn't deliver as much as the people who waited for the game expected. Only through various updates and DLCs did Fallout hold up to the standards, although not to a great extent. The thing is, no game has ever reached and lived up to the hype, so I am reserving my praises for this game until I have played it myself.

17. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Seems like the hype wasn't for nothing, the game looks really good so far and the gameplay is solid. I can't wait to give it a shot soon enough.

18. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

You just need to give it a few months after release. The game is doing fine, but does it hold up as something worth buying? As someone who played TF too much, I quickly got bored with Overwatch since it was just the same gameplay. If you didn´t play other similar games, it will probably have more value for you.

19. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member
    Regular

I've been playing since launch day and haven't got tired of it. I think the amount of content and gameplay variety is more than enough. They already confirmed a new character per month so that's pretty cool, I'm really liking the way they're handling the game in general and they're already fixing some balancing issues. I've bought the Origins edition and I think the game is totally worth it for that price.

Remember that gamers got addicted with way less: think of League of Legends and the fact that everyone in that game just plays that one mode in that one map all the time.

20. StillWinning

Regular

Skins are kinda buggin me....the gold feature for skins took away a lot of the specialness of them. I seriously hope they make actually legitimately difficult skins instead of just the type of stuff that's to be bought, sold and traded for...