Quantcast

How long before you replay an RPG?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by lindbergh, May 14, 2014.

1. lindbergh

lindbergh Well-Known Member Regular

Do you replay an RPG that you have already finished? I seldom do. Which RPGs did I replay? Xenogears, a few Final Fantasy games, Chrono Cross... When do I replay them? I replay an RPG when about 5 years has passed. I think there's no point in replaying an RPG right after you have finished it.

2. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member Regular

I never replayed any console-based RPG's before. Though I may give Legends of Dragoon a second take in the future if I get the chance to.

For PC, I normally replay a game like Fallout 3 a day or two after I finish it. If not, then I uninstall it and about a year later, I would install it again and play it again. The biggest difference between console RPG's and PC RPG's is that for computer RPG's, there is often a large world to explore with lots of side quests and multiple endings. Console RPG's normally have a linear or semi-linear path to the end goal.

3. Jun Yun

Jun Yun Well-Known Member

I replay RPGs that have multiple endings all the time. I guess it is pretty much self explanatory why lol. And its great to have a good replay value in an RPG.

4. Catalyst64

Catalyst64 Well-Known Member

I have never replayed an RPG game. Most of the games I've played take so much time that it's just an overall better experience to play a new game and not replay the old one. I already know what happens, what's the point?

5. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

I replay the Souls games right after I beat them. Considering the PvP and NG+ mechanics, it feels more like continuing my playthrough than replaying, honestly.

Other than that specific case, I usually take months or about a year before I replay an RPG. Recently, I've been thinking of replaying Persona 4 Golden, since I beat it a long time ago and want to do a max Social Links playthrough.

6. thejamal

thejamal Well-Known Member

Don't really ever replay a RPG after I beat it. Just feel my gaming time is spent better elsewhere. For alternate ending games, I just go spend some time on Youtube and watch the alternate endings that I missed. It's good enough for me just to know what happened rather than replaying the game.

7. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

Depends.. but I usually wait 6 months or so..

8. Lucky120

Lucky120 Well-Known Member Regular

I tend to replay and RPG after a few months. I love replaying RPG's, so I usually will wait like a month or two and then I would replay them. Sometimes I would find myself replaying them only after a few weeks it just depends on how I am feeling.

9. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

I don't have a specific time frame to replay old RPGs. If I happen to want to play it again I'll start it up. I mostly like to replay old Final Fantasy games on the PS1. Mostly probably a year or two in between playthroughs, usually when there are no new games to play.

10. Arya

Arya Well-Known Member

No specific time, but generally quite a few months/years.

11. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member Regular

Usually when I have finished one RPG game I start another. After a few weeks I will start playing the same game again if it was good enough.

12. rachael

rachael Active Member

It really depends on whether or not I have other games to play, and how much I liked the game. If they're a new game, and I enjoyed it, I will usually replay it within a few months. Sometimes if I'm playing a franchise, and I enjoy it, I'll replay the whole franchise within a few months. And sometimes I won't replay them in years, or at all.

13. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

I replay RPGs all the time. If the story is engrossing enough and different gameplay styles are available, then I have no problem going at it for a second or third time. Time in between play throughs doesn't really matter.

14. WAVWirmer

WAVWirmer Well-Known Member

Ive replayed many a RPG in my gaming career. The time in between finish and replay varey depending on the game and how I feel at the time. The one Ive replayd the most so far has been FFX, FFVIII, Chrono Cross, And Legend Of Dragoon. Recently Ive replayed Legend of Dragoon just finished the first disc the other day.

15. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayer Well-Known Member

It depends on the game really. If the game has no replay value then why bother? Except for maybe nostalgia but other than that no. If the game has a lot more to offer for example Skyrim. I've replayed that game countless times and somehow I still manage to find some bits and pieces and that are new and I've never seen before.

16. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

RPGs are the only games I tend to go back and revisit nowadays. The beauty of these games are that you could always go back and fins something new that you didn't find in your first run. It's really satisfactory.

17. obliviousme

obliviousme Well-Known Member Regular

I wait at least a year or two maybe to play the game again. If only we could delete our memory after we finish a game so we can experience it all over again soon, especially if the game is really good. That would really be awesome. :)

18. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

Well, I don't really replay any RPGs except if I could choose a different ending to the story, which even then feels a little strange when I know a lot of things before.

19. qag

qag Well-Known Member Regular

It really depends on the game. If the game has really good replayablity with stuff like, New Game + features and what not, I can see myself replaying the game almost immediately after beating it. Though.. Nowadays I find myself with less and less time to replay lengthy RPGs multiple times.

20. West

West Well-Known Member Regular

It generally takes me a while to get around to it. I like enjoying an RPG's story, and I think that it loses some of its original magic when you playthrough twice. After I beat FE:A, it took me a while to play as a Robin of the opposite gender. I'll never forget my first playthrough of that game, but I still enjoyed the second.