How is it now that EA owns it?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Old Republic' started by Morgan, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Morgan

Morgan Well-Known Member

When Lucas Arts was sold off a while back, Disney bought it and gave the gaming right to EA for some time. Has EA changed anything about The Old Republic, or is it the same old game Lucas Arts created along with Bioware? I ask because I'm in no way a fan of EA, their practices annoy me a lot and I can't stand how they act at times. Anyways if it's the same old game with updates, I'm going to grab it. Well I'll grab it anyways.

Morgan.

2. Cutler4Life

Cutler4Life Active Member

It seems pretty much what I have noticed. I don't think EA has any plans to change it up that much. It still is a really quality game, try checking out a steam sale or something, they have great deals too.

3. Thordar

Thordar Active Member

Well they certainly seem pro-active in updating the gaming experience. So many firms just buy up games like this and leave them to rot but not the case here I think

http://www.ea.com/uk/news/tag/star wars

4. Hook&Anchor

Hook&Anchor Active Member

They are gonna take care of this game. EA is smart, they know many people still play this game and it worth there time to update it. They have so many possibilites and $$ to do it

5. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I think EA is not going to mess with the game to much they could screw it up big time EA tried to make a racing MMO and that game failed badly so besides update and patches I don't think they are going to mess with the game when it comes to EA it's about money 1st and players 2nd.

6. heyhowareyou

heyhowareyou Well-Known Member

It's still a great game. Doesn't have the best community, but it's very fun to play EA hasn't really changed much.

7. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member
    Regular

EA became its publisher and not its developer. So long as EA doesn't start enforcing its own policies on Bioware, then all is good. That is until Bioware gets some weird ass idea they should do something drastically 'bad' to mess up the game.

8. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member
    Regular

Don't dredge up threads that are over 18 months old.

9. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Well-Known Member

It seems like EA owns nearly everything now. Hopefully they do things differently this go around and let the devs do what they've been doing as opposed to turning the game into udder nonsense.

10. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

EA owns Bioware, so, by default, they own anything they release on the market, including Star Wars: TOR.

11. ISKMogul

ISKMogul Well-Known Member

While EA does some dumb and even terrible things from time to time, it hasn't seemed to translate to all of their products turning to crap. SWTOR is pretty solid as long as you know what you're getting into. The F2P makes it hard to enjoy without spending money, so I'd suggest playing it if you don;t mind spending money on it only. Other than that, it's a surprisingly solid game with few bugs and a lot of content.

12. Fozz

Fozz Well-Known Member
    Regular

Not great, I preferred Lucas Arts. I don't like very many products by EA. I feel as if they are in it for profit as opposed to creating a good game.

13. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

This thread is old news. I wonder why it hasn't been locked or archived. Anyhow EA is only the publisher, it's not like they develop it.

14. flickerthestar

flickerthestar Well-Known Member
    Regular

Sometimes I feel that EA alone doesn't attempt to push for those games to squeeze money out of its customers. I strongly believe some of the developers come up with these ideas themselves and EA gives them the thumbs up.

15. Nytegeek

Nytegeek No namby pamby hand holding over FUD. EXTERMINATE!
    Regular

EA is a publisher. They don't develop the game.

Cyborg Superman likes this.
  16. Shounenbat

Shounenbat New Member

EA seems to be much kinder to The Old Republic than they have been to Battlefront, at least so far. I hear you with your criticism of EA. Their games are either fun or broken, and the company's attitude leaves much to be desired. I don't like EA, but I don't think they're going to ruin Old Republic; they'll just hurt the other Star Wars games!

17. coolyfrost

coolyfrost Well-Known Member
    Regular

I don't play The Old Republic but I know a lot of people that do. Apparently the game is as good as ever and it gets a ton of updates. Therefore, everything seems great although EA has taken over, which is surprising to say the least.

18. qag

qag Well-Known Member
    Regular

EA hasn't changed the game all that much, it's still a high quality MMO, with a large amount of content, updates and patches. The differences after EA has taken over are minimal at best, if you enjoyed the game back then, you're very likely to enjoy it now.