Quantcast

How Important Are The RPG Elements To You?

Discussion in 'The Division' started by Cyborg Superman, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Cyborg Superman

Cyborg Superman Well-Known Member Regular

Although I haven't heard too many details on what exactly the RPG elements in this game will entail, it's all over the game's description that this game will have them in some shape or form.

I am stoked to hear that it'll have an RPG element, to be honest. I'm a sucker for level progression, unlocking feats & skills and getting that sense that I'm getting stronger. I love upgrading stuff, and finding a perfect, all-powerful character build at the end. I even like when the weapons themselves have progression levels where they become more powerful as you become more proficient. It makes sense that the more you use a weapon, the better you'll be with it.

It becomes a "sub-game" and gives me purpose beyond just completing objectives. Every action I take in game now has a purpose beyond just completing a task. It's working directly into my level progression so I always try to gain every skill and bonus I can, it's the completist in me.

It's something I'm really excited about and what will set this game apart.

2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

Very important. Nowadays I play a lot of games not only for the gameplay but also for the story. RPGs have been my favorites for a long time now, and its elements are a must-have for me in most of the games.

Cyborg Superman likes this.
  3. Amazon XD

Amazon XD Member

It really depends on how the systems work out. RPG elements just for mechanic-sake isn't really good in my book. However, if done properly (like a intuitive weapon leveling system) I'm all for more RPG elements.

4. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

For me in a RPG these "elements" are the most important ones honestly and the stoyline that will be built too of course around it.

5. Codygr89

Codygr89 Member

The only RPG element that I'm not too concerned about with this game will be the story.

It's going to be hard to get a good story line in a game like this, so I hope people don't completely shun it because of that :/

6. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member Regular

I love RPGs, so I'm cool with RPG elements. Level progression and the gradual development of a character is neat-o. Nevertheless I would like some balance with hand-eye skill, the kind that requires good reflexes and sound in-combat judgment. I don't want to spend all my time in a shooter sitting in menus and fiddling with statistics.

Given that multiplayer seems to have a large role in Division, I'm really wondering how important the RPG elements are. Yes, they probably help you formulate the background of a character and what they can do in the battlefield, but that might not mean much to dudes who come flying in and start tapdancing on your skull, which is what usually happens in online shooters.

7. FuZyOn

It depends on how the gameplay will be and also how many people are going to play it, but I think this game needs at least some RPG elements to keep multiplayer alive if they choose to go with the more character-oriented route.

8. Benetnasch

Benetnasch Member

Most of the games I play are rpgs, so I would say fairly important, but a game with less or without is not a deal breaker for me. I will probably play it anyway, as long as the story is engaging.

9. Cyborg Superman

I hear what you're saying; it's nice to play a shooter by relying on your instincts and not on any bonuses. You need a good balance though because it is fun to tinker (or at least I enjoy it).

The mighty level 80 slaughtering the lowly level 5 - you're right, it always happens in online gaming. I'm curious as to how that's going to work in this game. They may have a system to try to pair you with the nearest levels (or +10/-10 levels)? I guess it'll depend on how the Dark Zone actually works; we know it's an instance, but will there be any division by level? I don't think the servers can handle everyone in the same instance at once.

Do you mean it'll be kept alive in terms of people trying different roles and making new characters, or just the "carrot" of trying to level your character to unlock more skills and perks?

10. FuZyOn

Both, actually. As long as we have a lot of combinations and different quests people are going to love it, kind of like WoW. A lot of people like to "grind", and they will spend a long time doing that to get their character better.

11. Celerian

Celerian Well-Known Member Regular

Very important. I will buy this game for the RPG elements mostly.

12. Cyborg Superman

I just hope that it has a good reward system. When it comes to RPGs and MMOs, I want to be doing things that are rewarding and worth while. If I'm constantly grinding or doing stuff and there's no benefits, I'll lose interest fairly quickly. Getting XP is one thing, but unless this translates into making my character better (and therefore making my playing experience better), then I'm all for it. If all I see is a meter going up, that means nothing to me.

The whole point of having RPG elements in a game is to give the impression that your character is growing by gaining experience.

13. acmoore423

acmoore423 New Member

The RPG elements of a game make them very entertaining to play. Looking back at older games like Sacred 2 got me into this style of game. Now I enjoy looking for loot to help level up my weapons and armor at the same time finding ways to quickly level up. The online MMOs are good at helping feed my RPG addiction. Sadly, as of late, I have found that the RPG market is not as good it was. Though I still enjoy games like Torchlight. Is there games out I missing to play? Let me know: I love to find a new good RPG.

14. Spectre456

Spectre456 Well-Known Member Regular

RPGs are my favorite kind of game, so the RPG elements are quite important to me. I'm not saying I wouldn't play the game if it had no RPG elements, but the fact that it has them will make it more enjoyable for me.

15. SinisterSpydio

SinisterSpydio Well-Known Member Regular

Very important, as the RPG elements make me want to play the game for a lot longer.

16. Cyborg Superman

It depends on what kind of RPG you're into, what you've played and what platforms you own. If you enjoyed Torchlight, I'd suggest Torchlight 2 and any of the Diablo games. You might also like Guild Wars 2 since it's also similar.

17. alexiskilgannon

alexiskilgannon Well-Known Member Regular

RPG Elements are pretty important to me. I go into a RPG hoping to Roleplay and create a character.

18. Delirium

Delirium Well-Known Member Regular

Very! I grow up playing RPG games so if this element is incorporated (properly) into the game I'd be really happy. It doesn't have to be perfect and it doesn't have to be entirely RPG and anything like that, but it'd be really nice to see that there are RPG elements in the game that are strong enough to stand out on it's own.

19. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

As long as it's not like Mass Effect, where theres a weird mix where I wasn't liking neither the RPG stuff nor the shooting mechanics, then it's fine. I'd focus more on the shooting side of things in my opinion, since we're talking about a shooter and that's what you mostly do in the game. If the main gameplay loop of the game is extremely fun, the shooting in this case, then it'll be harder for me to get bored with it.

20. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member Regular

Role-playing is my favorite genre and of course being able to play with different styles is important to me. I just recently saw a video about skills trees and what not and from the looks of it doesn't look like there's a lot of options there which is a tad disappointing. However, in the same video they said that there will be weapons mods and although that's pretty much becoming the standard for modern games, I'd say it's still pretty cool.