Quantcast

How did I miss this game before now?

Discussion in 'Dragon Age' started by Kleineganz, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Kleineganz

Kleineganz Well-Known Member

I just started playing Dragon Age: Origins a couple of weeks ago, when EA/Origin was giving away free downloads of the game. I hadn't ever played it before and I thought I'd give it a try. I have to say I'm really enjoying the story line of the game so far and I can see why so many people are eagerly awaiting the next release (after getting into it I started looking more info up online regarding the game).

2. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member Regular

If you are enjoying the game so much, don't be limited by the free version, you can usually find the Ultimate Version at Steam Sales for very cheap and it adds a ton of excellent DLC and an expansion.

3. GenevB

GenevB Well-Known Member Regular

As Strykstar said you can get the Ultimate Version very cheap on steam sales, you should try it if you like the experience of this game so much, it adds tons of DLC an I'm pretty sure you won't regret spending a few dollars for such big improvements.

4. jackdenileth

jackdenileth Member

And if you really enjoy the experience and don't mind "ancient" graphics, you might want to give Baldur's Gate a try, as it's very similar, but much more expansive.
    However, seeing as the release of Inquisition is right around the corner, playing the Dragon Age series would make more sense. The second game might have its problems (endlessly recycled dungeons and a smaller world), but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Especially since the protagonist can finally talk, which adds a lot of depth.

Kleineganz likes this.
  5. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

I couldn't stand the second game, although I'll be giving Inquisition a try when it comes out. Welcome to the series. It's mostly good with a few issues here and there. Same as all other game series.

6. ariana_

ariana_ Active Member

EA was giving away free downloads of the game? I paid $10 for my copy :( Oh well, I suppose I supported the company. I am glad that you are enjoying the game, as it is one of my favorites!

7. Kleineganz

I was actually planning on getting it through Origin (I don't do Steam) once I completed playing through the original base game, and then also getting Dragon Age 2. I read through the thread saying that Dragon Age 2 wasn't as good, but I still like playing through each game in a series. It may cost a bit more through Origin, but the cost wasn't why I hadn't ever tried the game before. I wasn't even aware of it for some reason.

8. Kleineganz

That's cool. I did find it annoying that I never hear my avatar talk, considering that I had to choose a voice for her.

9. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member Regular

I played Dragon age before and discovered it again as the origin was sharing the game for free. It is really fantastic to come across a game you have played before and have liked of it.

10. queenbee

queenbee Well-Known Member

Sure, but you'll always get people saying this sort of thing, and people with strong opinions generally yell the loudest. Similarly, negative reviews stick in your head more than positive ones. Let me assure you: Dragon Age 2 is a terrific game! It's definitely different, and there are pros and cons to that, but it is certainly worth the money.

If you're thinking about DLCs, Awakening is easily the best one. It's practically a second, stand-alone (admittedly shorter) game.

But anyway, I'm really glad you enjoyed the game! Welcome to the Dragon Age community. (It will drain your soul.)

11. GamerPerson

GamerPerson Well-Known Member

It's a game that I think got overlook because people were getting into Mass Effect a lot more, same game company, after all. How I heard about Dragon Age was about a year or two, after release of the first one, via G4.

12. Kleineganz

I never played Mass Effect either. I've been more into WoW, The Sims, and SimCity.

13. GamerPerson

GamerPerson Well-Known Member

Well, if that's the case I'd have say the same. (Currently on a Sims Medieval kick myself.) I usually read about games now when it's talked about in groups of friends or E3. Sometimes, I check with game reviewer on youtube to see if the game is any good or if there's any games to catch my eye.

14. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member Regular

I also started playing that too when Bioware was giving Dragon Age:Origins on Origin :)p). And it was really good. And I wished I knew this game before.