How complicated is EVE online?

Discussion in 'EVE Online' started by Gloomer, May 15, 2015.

1. Gloomer

Gloomer Member

I was thinking about investing some time in an MMO and I've heard good things about EVe except for the fact that the learning curve is a little daunting. Can anyone who has played the game clarify how complicated it is?

2. tarverten

tarverten Well-Known Member

EVE online is not like the other mmo's. The learning curve was intentionally set so steep to force out players who cannot adapt. Honestly you will need about a year to have a decent set of skills, and in that year you will lose thousands of ships.

3. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Well-Known Member

It's just like any other MMO really. Honestly though investing some time into mmos are really useless especially eve where it takes a freaking near eternity to get any real rewards for your time and effort

4. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Well-Known Member

EVE is probably the most difficulty MMO to date. But on the plus side, no game has anywhere near the number of players and base that it does, including WOW. It's worth it if you go into it with the understanding that it is a tough game and be willing to be patient.

5. KyubiChan

KyubiChan Active Member
    Regular

I played EVE for a small bit of time. I think it is a great game, however it is quite hard to understand, the learning curve is high. It does seem to have a very good community though. When I had first started playing a GM had whispered me asking if I needed any help with understanding anything with the game. I have never encounter anything like that in any of the MMOs I have played and I thought it was really nice. :) I may try to give that game another chance at some point, it is cool flying into space, it seems kinda calming.

6. ISKMogul

ISKMogul Well-Known Member

The learning curve used to be much steeper than it is today. Everything from the tutorial system to specialized groups within the community have been revamped to help new players and keep them in the game. That being said, it's not an easy game and it will take time to learn all the intricacies and mechanics. The best piece of advice I can give a new player is not to stagnate. Don't do the same things day in, day out. Repetition gets boring pretty quickly in EVE

I'd say if you have an interest in playing, sign up for the 30 day trial and jump into EVE University, Brave Newbies, Karmafleet, or Pandemic Horde. Each of these newbie-focused groups have a history in the game and have different goals. So find the one that works for you. Most of the major groups in the game have public subreddits you can use to ask questions and figure out which one is best for you.

7. Fozz

Fozz Well-Known Member
    Regular

The learning curve is steep compared to other MMORPGs, but, if you take the time to actually read the instructions and ask questions, you can get the basics down enough to enjoy the game in a week or two (it was less for me). But that learning curve is what makes the game appealing. Not anyone can just go in and master the game, it takes time and dedication. Thereby, achievements and progression is more rewarding.

8. dellmininotebook

Regular

It takes time to be an expert of this game. It could take six months to a year to learn the skills and features of this game. I think it is fun to play the difficult games as they keep busy in it until you don't get bore of it.

9. overcast

overcast Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think it is fairly okay and I am guessing many people loved playing the game for sure.

10. Z-wall

Z-wall Well-Known Member
    Regular

In my opinoin Eve Online is the most compicated MMO out there

11. Mildredtabitha

Mildredtabitha Well-Known Member
    Regular

This game needs you to play with a professional next you so you won't give up quickly. I think there could be available tutorials online so that it won't have to take a year to understand the game.