How can you make your buildings look better?

Discussion in 'Minecraft' started by shuffz, Aug 13, 2014.

1. shuffz

shuffz New Member

I always end up making square houses with the triangular roofs. Can you give me and everyone else on this subforum some tips on how to make buildings look better and not the same just like any other one?

2. ItsZiggy

ItsZiggy Well-Known Member

You're really limited in terms of shape, but I think the key to it is just messing around with different building materials, maybe building some sort of design or word out of different colored blocks or even windows.

3. Blazadidle

Blazadidle Member

If you're building big blocks then adding the roof, why not try building a couple other big blocks and joining them before putting the roof on?

You could make an 'L' shaped house, and put the entrance on the bottom bit of the L facing up into the empty gap which you could fill with a garden or a tree for example!

Just join a load of shapes, break anything that looks out of place then stick a roof on top ;).

4. wvboarder

wvboarder Well-Known Member

Ok, picture this. Make a lava hot tub in the bottom floor with a glass top. Then put a glowstone block in the very middle and go upstairs and start a waterfall down onto the bottom level right abothe the glowstone. On two sides of the hot tub dig water exits where it can flow out. BOOM- amazingness.

5. tomocar

tomocar Well-Known Member

There was a thread on this forum a few weeks ago where a user linked to the wiki, so here is the link he posted. It's a guide on different types of roofs you can build! I was having the same problem as yourself and I found the article really helpful!

6. Whitewolf2578

Whitewolf2578 Well-Known Member
    Regular

That sounds pretty good actually. Well done, I will have to try that out.

7. mcjonesqwe

mcjonesqwe Well-Known Member

Try laying out the floor plan first.... and don't make a square. Make some weird shape, and make some parts higher than others. Also try experimenting with different building materials like wood/logs, stone, and brick.

8. insertkittyface

insertkittyface Well-Known Member

Contrast with building materials is basically what I work with.. because you are pretty limited.

9. Alunny

Alunny Well-Known Member

You will want to change the shape of the house to change the shape of the roof. L shaped is the best idea, but if you're that worried try balconies, try having a slope in one direction and a higher bit on the end like this:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Also you can build rooms out of the middle and see if that helps any :)...because then you need some roof on the bottom around that middle room and some roof on the top... breaks it up a bit and makes it more interesting.

[​IMG]

10. Arya

Arya Well-Known Member

Use different materials, and also use stairs for the roof.

11. LIGHTSOUT

LIGHTSOUT Well-Known Member

Make them span out, and try to not just make it squared from an eagle eye perspective. Make it multi-room with some rooms that serve to be decorations, variety is key. Don't have too many things (messy is bad), and don't have bare rooms (emptiness is also bad).

12. srofltank

srofltank Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think that adding more layers of blocks can make the roofs of my buildings look for more realistic rather than having just a straight out roof. Along with that, I like to change blocks to make buildings look more detailed compared to using only one block.

13. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member
    Regular

There are tons of things you can do, but you'll want to get away from the box building shape. It's important to create round buildings, buildings with partitioned roofs, and buildings that take advantage of unique design elements.

14. kaitheteen

kaitheteen Well-Known Member

Decorate the interior, change the textures, use different types of wood. Don't use that much cobblestone! It'll make whatever you're building look like a castle.

15. BulletsFrozen

BulletsFrozen Member

I would like to respectfully disagree. Don't limit yourself in terms of shape. Think about building huge, not 20x20 wooden boxes, but huge buildings. Hey that's what Minecraft is about. Just keep thinking, big and trying and you will eventually get it. And I cant tell you from experience, once your done and look back at the master-piece you have made, it is the greatest feeling ever :D.

16. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

The thing is, you really have to make sure you make the building nice and large. That was a big problem when I first started building is that I would limit myself because I thought it was necessary..

17. Balaal

Balaal Well-Known Member

Building in layers is what helped me a lot. Making each layer much different from the last.

Alunny likes this.
  18. ItsZiggy

ItsZiggy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I posted that and almost immediately realized how wrong I was haha. The possibilities are unending on Minecraft thankfully. It just takes some imagination :)

19. johnnear

johnnear Well-Known Member

Well, spend more time designing it I guess. As for me, well, I don't pay much attention on my base though but I do love building a great looking house. I would suggest try and experiment with different materials, explore more design structures, instead of a normal house why not build a long house or a triangular one? But to say the least you're really limited to just blocks so it's kind of hard.

20. ThisGodlyGuy

ThisGodlyGuy Well-Known Member

Adding pretty colors and blocks such as diamond blocks and glowstone.