Quantcast

Has Square forgotten its Chrono franchise?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by lindbergh, Nov 22, 2014.

1. lindbergh

lindbergh Well-Known Member Regular

Chrono Trigger was a very popular game on the Super Nintendo. A lot of gaming enthusiasts list this as one of the best RPGs ever made. A sequel in the form of Chrono Cross was released for the PS1. It was also a success. It's also one of my favorite RPGs ever. But today, it seems like square is just content on focusing on Final Fantasy. Have they forgotten that they have other great Role Playing games outside of the FF series? Will there be no sequel to Chrono Cross? Or a remake maybe?

2. Arma45

Arma45 Active Member

They may have forgotten about it. Perhaps we should remind them of the goldmine there sitting on. If they do make a reboot or remake for it, Hopefully they won't destroy it as many games have been completely butchered by some.

Chrono Cross and Chrono Trigger are definitely some of the best RPG game ever made for the SNES and the Playstation console. I would love if they brought it back with all of its elements.

3. Mike_Check

Mike_Check Member

It would be interesting to say the least. #2 is right, we'd have to cross our fingers and hope that a remake didn't turn into a "re-imaginering" and just suck outright. Squar has given us a few other awesome rpgs tho over the past few years. Lost Odessey and The Last Remenant both come to mind. I know the reviews were mixed for thesee games, but I think thts beacause everyone reviewing them was expecting the next new FF franchise.... now thats a series of games that has been copy and pasted so many times they should just drop it and keep it as an mmo name. Just do a much better job then their past mmo attempts.

4. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member Regular

There's been no indicator that there will be a sequel or remake. For years Square's been closing down fan made sequels and the like. A few years ago Mitsuda (original composer for the Cross/Trigger series music) released a musical CD with a companion book that's supposed to be the spiritual successor to the game franchise. Other than that, it's been pretty quiet on that front.

5. chronomantic

chronomantic Member

It's pretty much dead, sadly. The higher-ups are all about the money. I think there's a quote somewhere where one of them said that if we wanted to see a sequel we needed to just buy more. The series has so much potential, I think with a great team behind it you could do wonders with it. It's worth noting that the Chrono Trigger port did very well, there's the proof that many people are still interested in the franchise.

6. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member Regular

They've been feeding us that tripe for years. People still buy and pay for it but it's to the point where they're not even going to consider following up on the series. It's a huge shame really because it's a good franchise, but I guess they're more focused on their Eidos acquisition.

7. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Member

I don't think that Square has forgotten about this series at all. It's become somewhat of a cult phenomenon and it's would just be stupid to ignore that. I truly believe that we will get another Chrono trigger and it'll come out of nowhere. Square are finally getting close to finishing up that Final Fantasy they started eight years ago, so anything is possible.

8. RobertNick

RobertNick Member

I doubt we'll see other than the Android port, which is pretty crappy itself. Chrono is a damn masterpiece, it's a shame Square has been ruining its best cashing series. I'd love a sequel, I'd play the hell out of it and stay in for days just taking the whole game in, but seems farfetched to expect a sequel, at least for now. Maybe some fans will decide on building a fan-made game, that's most likely to happen.

9. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

Yeah, Square has left it on the table instead of appeasing the fans and cashing in on the opportunity at the same time. It's a shame.