GW2 Guilds (Joining Multiple Guilds)

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2: General Discussion' started by Xerran, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Xerran

Xerran Senior Member

I decided to open this as a new thread for discussion, rather than a reply to something Unknown mentioned.

I had a long debate with others, when the guild info first came to light. This system of joining multiple guilds, really puts a strain on guild leaders. It'll be up to them to keep their guild populated and interesting enough for their players to do events with them, rather than the "competition". I understand the system being an introduction to a "lets all just play together and have fun" aspect, but the idea of a guild is to stay connected with like-minded ppl. You cant stay connected to someone who can float around where ever they want. This system is almost akin to having a constant PUG (Pick-Up Group), where anyone can join anything anyone else is doing at anytime.

Im personally against the joining of multiple guilds, as it breaks away from the "club" format that its suppose to have. If you want to keep in touch with others from another guild, well thats what "friends-list" is for.

Now, what if you have multiple friends from another guild, and really want to join their guild? I understand these situations would make this system an improvement, but if you dont want to leave your original guild, then you obviously still enjoy your guild. I understand joining 2, maybe 3 isnt bad, but what Im afraid of are those that'll join 5-10 guilds. I really hope Anet puts a guild limit one char can have, hopefully this will balance out this system they want to imply.

1 person likes this.
  2. DonQuitto

DonQuitto Well-Known Member

i like Multiple guilds idea, that means i can play and keep simple contact with US guys in another guild and EU guys in another guild.

3. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

Did they say any about specifics concerning limitations? I highly doubt they'll allow us to join as many guilds as we desire... veerry likely there will be a cap at probably 3 guildes or something along those lines. Then again i might be wrong. If you can join 5+ guilds that's just ridiculous.

4. FatCheeseMan

FatCheeseMan Active Member

From a personal standpoint I doubt I would join multiple guilds even given the option. I enjoy the camaraderie that comes from being a singular guild.

5. Unknown

Unknown GW2PC Mod - Forever Unknown

I think they will implement a limit to the amount you can be in. Or what stops everyone from joining every guild on the server? However I could see having 3 guilds being nice.. one that is dedicated towards pvp, one towards pve and last a crafting guild.

If you think of it that way it doesn't sound so bad.

6. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

In most progression guilds they will not allow you to be in multiple guilds. I've never had any issues with that. It makes sense as you contribute to your guild mates and they pay it forward to other guild mates. In fact I think its a good system... on the flip side you sometimes gear out noobs, craft all their stuff, show em the ropes, and they hop to another guild.

7. Delvie

Delvie Well-Known Member

I believe the reason they decided on multiple guilds is because of the weird way GW1 does guilds. If I remember right it's your account that belongs to the guild which for GW1 means all of your characters are in the same guild. That causes problems with the folks that want to escape from dealing with their guild by making an alt.

Personally I think they need to relook at this. In their current plans they've stated that only one guild chat would be active at a time - that you'd have to switch which guild was 'turned on' to see that guild's chat. What a lot of people want instead of multiple guilds is multiple chat channels - so the current plans won't meet their needs.

Another group of folks just want to create banking guilds to have characters able to share bank slots - this isn't just small guilds - I've known lots of big guilds who create mini guilds to handle banking of resources. We don't know much at all about guild banks so we'll have to wait and see how this will work.

For me each of my characters is their own person (yes even Suitcase in LOTRO who is my mule) and I would prefer to specify which character is in which guild only once.

Actually another consideration is how many folks does it take to start/support a guild? Is it by account or character?

8. Knives

Knives Well-Known Member

Seems like they don't want us to know till we play D:

9. Microasian

Microasian Asian Power

Will there be restrictions/requirements to creating guilds?

10. Caledon

Caledon Teef

Eh, I'm not a big fan of the multiple guild thing. Creating/Joining a guild with a single guild requirement would solve the problem, with each member understanding that in order to be a member they have to be exclusive. If people don't like it, they can always decide to leave. In the end, everybody would be happy.

11. AlessiNightsong

It's different and I'm not sure how I feel about it till I get a chance to see it in person.

12. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

You mean in game? I'm still unsure how I feel. I'd like to see the press do something on guilds.

13. Xerran

Xerran Senior Member

I highly doubt we'll hear anything from the press, regarding guild workings. I have a feeling that guilds will be one of the last things worked on, via public beta.

14. Disparity

Disparity Member

That's a shame I was also looking to hear some more details on it. For a game called "guild" they sure do like to retain guild information. -_-

15. Deezy

Deezy Best in the World

I don't know if any of you guys have played FFXI but they did something very similar with "Linkpearls" it wasn't as bad as some of you are thinking it brought the server together. Then again that was PvE focused game and the internet was a more... friendlier place back in 02.

16. Unknown

Unknown GW2PC Mod - Forever Unknown

I know exactly what your talking about and i'm surprised I didn't think of it before. People did have multiple guilds back then, in fact nobody had a problem with it. It made it nice for high level players, some would also join lowbie linkpearls and help them out then switch to another link pearl when it was time to take down a NM. It sounds kinda ridiculous but it was extremely chill back then.

17. Silas

Silas Well-Known Member

I kinda like it, it is just another choice you have and people will stay with the guild they like anyway. Also it gives you the opportunity to play with your own friends and maybe a different kinda group with other friends.

But i agree to the limit thing, there should be a limit of 3.
    What i wonder tho... wouldnt it be weird to fight your own guild ? I mean lets say youre in 3 different guilds and youre currently playing under one, wouldnt it be a little odd to then face a guild youre also in ?? lol
    Maybe guilds from other servers can only face eachother, aw well im sure they make something good of it :)

18. Deezy

Deezy Best in the World

Things where really chill I agree. Well, apart from the server marriage drama. :p

19. Fishmonger

Fishmonger Active Member

you have to remember that alot of people will only join one guild..scroll up, and its not like everyone will be able to just click on a guild and be in it right. you still have to be invited so im sure the elitest guilds will be sticking together, and playing together. the multiple guilds gives you more options...i think thats what their doing with it. if one crew is dungeon exploring and you feel like pvping...see what your other guilds are up to. you can still have pride in 'your' guild, the one you are 'really' part of. but it just opens up more people to game with. i think its genious.

20. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

Personally I appreciate loyalty, and building a concrete group means you don't need other guilds for anything. I'm not against it, I just think if you do it right you only need one home.

1 person likes this.