Flashpoints were a bad idea

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Old Republic' started by heyhowareyou, Dec 26, 2013.

1. heyhowareyou

heyhowareyou Well-Known Member

So I enjoy this game a lot. The only thing that ruins it for me is the community. The concept of Flashpoints being cinematic experiences with multiple paths was a good idea, but in practice it's a disaster, for me at least. I have never been able to complete a Flashpoint on my own because as a player I want to enjoy the game and watch the cutscenes and understand the story. This invariably pisses everyone off because I don't choose to skip the cutscenes if I've never seen them before, and then I am immediately kicked from the group. This happens EVERY TIME. Literally not once has it not happened.
    And in general the whole idea of voting on responses and paths is just clunky and unsatisfying to me.
    Leave all that stuff for one player.
    Or am I missing something?

2. Oakster

Oakster Well-Known Member

Well flashpoints can definitely be enjoyed for the story, it sound like you've just been paired with asses who want to rush through everything.
    Instead of just joining the queue, try asking in general chat if anyone wants to run a flashpoint taking it slow.
    There are more people like you and me that don't want to rush through everything and you might find a couple of new friends this way :)

3. Rocketman

Rocketman Well-Known Member

I think it's similar for any MMORPG. Most people have already seen it and they don't want to see it again. I guess there's not really a solution other than what LoTRO did which is give you huge buffs so you can solo the instance, but that's unbalanced since you're still getting really good gear. I guess the unofficial method is to watch the cutscenes on Youtube.

4. MonkeyKarl

MonkeyKarl Member

Flashpoints are cool the first time you do them, but then they just become a spacebar spamfest. There's a reason a lot of MMOs usually convey their stories in boxes and speech bubbles. It was probably a great idea on paper, but it's panned out badly for them since.

5. Oakster

Oakster Well-Known Member

At least you can skip the cutscenes, WoW has the annoying habit of having NPC's walking along slowly while speaking, leaving you to jump around them until they get to the destination. I think SWTOR's solution is better.

6. jesuitical

jesuitical Well-Known Member

Flashpoints are brilliant, but as said above you just got paired with a bad group. I know that a lot of people don't speak anymore because everything is automated, but just say something in the beginning about you not doing the fp before and you want to experience it. If they don't want to, they leave. Sometimes.

7. dinomarino1

dinomarino1 Well-Known Member

gotta love the general public! i always get mtched up with asses. i still would rather have a kotor gamewithout the mmo aspect