Quantcast

Favorite Unit in all the Civilization Games?

Discussion in 'Civilization V' started by OursIsTheFury, Jun 16, 2016.

1. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Well-Known Member Regular

What's your favorite unit in the games? Doesn't necessarily have to be a modern tech / most powerful / most effective in the field, it's just your personal favorite. Mine was the Immortals from Persia. You can get them early enough in the game to outfight any of the other nations' top guns, as well as defensive enough to rely on them to protect your cities. They are also very awesome looking and have a pretty badass name. What about you guys?

2. Sad Puppy

Sad Puppy Well-Known Member Regular

In Civ 5 the most badass unit is the Giant Death Robot, but since it's the ultimate unit, games often end before I can get my hands on one. Spearman and artillery give you a huge edge over the opponents if you get to them first, and so do destroyers.

In Cvis 1-2 one of the best untis was musketeer, since it was barely possible to break those guys with pre-gunpowder attackers when they were garrisoned in cities, and they were cheap enough to provide effective defence even long after the opponents developed canons/dragoons. Other breakthrough unit were Diplomat, and Caravel (Sail in the first game) - first naval unit capable of travelling the ocean.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  3. EleGiggle

EleGiggle Active Member Regular

I really like Knights, I don't know why exactly though :D.
    Perhaps it is because around the time you get the ability to do a lot of knights I kind of want to catch up on other research trees as well, so I often end up having a lot of them and I don't think they are too bad anyway.

4. Sad Puppy

Sad Puppy Well-Known Member Regular

@EleGiggle Well, Knights are good for breaking the neemy line, like all cavalry untits,a nd if you get them when your opponents are still fielding the armies from the previous era, you can trample down a lot of folks, at least in Civ 4-5. I don't think Knight was particularly powerful in Civ 2, back then they were qucikly made obsolete by Crusaders, and then outdated by the arrival of gunpowder.

5. SirJoe

SirJoe Well-Known Member Regular

Since I like to play Egypt my favorite unit has to be the war chariot. They can really be fast and give the game an extra edge in relation to civilizations IV. I think if they brought in some more units in the next version of civilizations it will make the game play all the more fun.

6. gyakenji

gyakenji Member Regular

Winged Hussars! Just cause.. umm... it's cool I guess? At least the history behind the hussars was really awesome, about how they brought about the major victory against the Ottomans.

Gamewise, their ability to push back enemy troops after attacking is nice. Just need to push them back until they hit a dead end, then you get the extra damage since they can't go back anymore. The hussars really saved by Polish empire when the Zulus started going all offensive on me for having lands they coveted.

7. rz3300

rz3300 Well-Known Member Regular

That Chariot is a good one for Egypt, and there are a lot of good ones. I have always gone with the Marine though when I get to that point, and early on the Calvary is king for me.