Fallout 2 - Character Build.

Discussion in 'Fallout 2' started by Oblivious, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Oblivious

Oblivious Well-Known Member
    Regular

I've started playing the game recently and I've only reached Klamath so far.
    Combat has been a (pleasant) pain because I put many points in Intelligence, took the Gifted trait and tagged Small Guns. I had no idea that most initial fights would focus so much on melee combat and that finding a weapon would be so hard. (I was obviously conditioned by FO 3)

Do you know if things will eventually balance out a bit? Can you talk your way out of many fights later on? (in general, no spoilers please.)

Do you have any general tips about how to approach combat temporarily? (aside from me hitting enemies then running away. *Repeat this turn after turn until enemy is dead*)

2. Skuttie

Skuttie Well-Known Member
    Regular

You're fine. The start of the game is very, very unfair towards characters that aren't strength/melee/unarmed but as you go along you can do more without combat and your current build will be much easier to use.

3. Oblivious

Oblivious Well-Known Member
    Regular

Thank you for the reply, it gives me some hope to keep playing.

With less than 40% chance to hit, each combat takes a great while. I mean, there are no other means at my disposal, other than patience and dumb luck. :p

4. Skuttie

Skuttie Well-Known Member
    Regular

You're welcome, keep pumping that small arms skill during level ups and it'll soon be around 90% and you'll get some super ammo efficient weapons around mid game.

5. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah, Fallout 3 messed me up too since I wanted to go all gunslinger, but ended up having to poke enemies to death and run when more than one enemy shows up. It's frustrating, but it's also more rewarding when I do become strong enough to bash people in the face without out loosing so much health.

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Did you continue playing the game? As Skuttie said, the game is pretty unfair at the start towards the not-strength focused characters.

7. Nuka-Cola Girl

Nuka-Cola Girl Active Member

The beginning was a nightmare for me too as I focused on a charismatic character. My character barely made it out. I took a break after way too many rage-quits. Now that some are reporting it gets better, I may have to get back to Fallout 2.

8. Delirium

Delirium Well-Known Member
    Regular

I made the very same mistake. Like Nuka-Cola Girl, I focused on making a charismatic character. Worst Fallout decision of my life. You wouldn't believe how many times I died in the span of 30 minutes. I don't even think I've died that many times in a game before.