Quantcast

Fable 3 was a trainwreck, admits Molyneux.

Discussion in 'Fable' started by William Quah, Feb 27, 2014.

1. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

Truth be told I thought Fable 3 sucked. Although it was similar to Fable 2 but I felt that nothing was right with Fable 3. It's been a couple of years since I touched it so I can't elaborate on what's wrong but the feeling is still there. Now that Peter Molyneux himself admitted it, then my feelings were correct.

2. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

Do you have prof that Peter Molyneux said this otherwise it doesn't sound legit I too have not played Fable 3 yet, but I have seen game play videos of the game and it didn't seem that bad maybe compared to the other Fable games it's not as good.

3. rachael

rachael Active Member

I will forever defend the Fable games, they are my first xbox love, and I will stick by it until the game series ends completely.
    In my opinion, Fable 2 has been my least favourite, and I think Reaver is the real saving grace. But in the case of Fable 3, I liked it, I liked the changes, and I liked the fact that if you played as a female hero, she wouldn't transform into a hairy pro-wrestler wearing a dress, she still remained feminine, and thats the thing I hated the most of F2, that the female hero ends the game looking like shrek when he takes that potion to make him handsome.
    I liked Fable 3 a whole lot more than Fable 2, but I think, if they released it separate from the Fable series it probably would have received more positive reviews.
    I am just looking forward to getting my mitts on Fable: Anniversary to compare that to :the Lost Chapters.

4. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

There wasn't necessarily that much wrong with Fable 3, although overall the game still felt lacking for some reason. I'm not sure why myself.

5. Kittyworker

Kittyworker Well-Known Member

Its been 7 years since Molyneux helped produce a good game, I'm not really expecting much out of him anymore. He had some amazing ideas in the past but I think he is all tapped out. Godus is even more of a trainwreck than even Fable 3. They had completely resdesigned the game multiple times since releasing it on early access. Its clear at thing point they don't know what to do with the game.

6. Metalhead

Metalhead Member

Godus was doomed to fail way before its release, from the first trailer actually. People still have hope in Molyneux tho, and he might just surprise us.
    As for Fable 3, yeah, total failure. Shitty story, shitty optimization, it actually takes away a lot of features away from the game when you compare it to the first one. It should have been otherwise.

7. sorrowscall

sorrowscall Well-Known Member

Fable 3 just couldn't live up to it's predecessors no matter how hard it tried. I share the sentiment that something about it just seemed off. I can't really put my finger on what exactly was wrong with it, but it was definitely something; and it takes a big person to admit it when his game doesn't pan out.

8. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Well-Known Member

Well, by his own admission, he's always oversold his games and made them sound better than they actually were. But obviously, he can't say that while he's making it since that would destroy sales.

After Fable 2, the series tanked and is now relegated to Kinect games and the upcoming f2p game.

9. MrZ0mbiesFanatic

MrZ0mbiesFanatic Well-Known Member

I played Fable 3 and I kind of enjoyed it. It wasn't as fun as Fable 2 was, but it wasn't bad.

10. Athilea

Athilea Well-Known Member

I, personally, very much enjoyed Fable 3. I've beat the game more then once. It was a fun game and had some interesting features in it. Not everyone is going to like it, and that's alright. Not everyone has to like all of the Fable games.

11. a1b3c6

a1b3c6 Member

I thought Fable 3 was okay, though at the same time I think it was the worst game in the series.

Fable 1/TLC had fun, fairly simple R.P.G. game play mechanics, a standard but good-enough story, and a world that was a blast to explore.

Fable 2 improved the game play, but made combat way too easy. Never being able to die was a really bad idea honestly. Still, it had a good story, and a world that was every bit as unique and fascinating as TLC's.

Fable 3 was like a hollowed-out version of Fable 2. The game play was simplified and streamlined, sure, but it was done in a way that made the game dull and boring. It was somehow even easier than Fable 2, which just made the whole experience that much more not-fun. The story was as interesting as Fable 2's...at least until you became king, where the game play fell apart even more as well. And besides Aurora, I felt very little interest in exploring the world. It was just...not that interesting. There was nothing to make you want to veer off from the main story. I didn't feel like exploring was as worthwhile, but for me, exploration was a trademark of the series.

The whole game was just meh.

12. Obi

Obi Well-Known Member

Fable 3, for me anyway, was barely replayable. The areas had basically nowhere to go and had loading screens that just lasted too long to travel between different areas of the same town. I went through the story with 3 or 4 different characters over the years but I've only completed it with about two of them because the game gets so repetitive. Don't get me wrong, I love Fable and would probably play through the latest one quite soon now that you've got me talking about it, but it just seemed to make poor features of its predecessors worse.

13. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member Regular

Huh, I never bought Fable 3 since I had a feeling that it would not live up to the second game. Then, I read all the reviews about it and it made me feel better that I didn't spend my cash on it. Hearing the creator himself admit the game was bad is just icing on the cake...

14. GlacialDoom

GlacialDoom Well-Known Member Regular

Molyneux admitted it? I'm surprised, honestly. He's always the one who promises a lot but doesn't deliver. It's nice for him to actually admit he did not perform according to expectations.

15. ISKMogul

ISKMogul Well-Known Member

The biggest problems with the Fable franchise usually stem from Molyneux. There just needs to be a push for removing him from talking too publicly about the games he's involved in. His habit of overpromising is what hypes the games too much. This leads to every flaw of his games being scrutinized way too much. Fable 3 was another example of a mediocre game being bashed hard due to the hype train.

The game was pretty much more of the same standard Fable fare, the environments and mechanics weren't developed enough to hold player interest, which killed replayability. I enjoyed some of the game. The minutia of some of the mechanics was what really hurt the game. For example, having to constantly manage dozens of properties was a freaking pain.

16. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Well-Known Member Regular

Lol damn he came out and said it eh? Well it was bad and not of the quality of past fable games it was still decent and an overall enjoyable game. Good to see he is holding himself to such high standards though, hopefully it shows in the next installment.

17. Krisibelle

Krisibelle Member

I found Fable 3 to be more of a property management game with random battles sometimes. I also was really sad that I couldn't get heaps of the achievements on Xbox because you had to play online with friends and none of my friends wanted to play it :(

Also there didn't seem to be enough content in it to be honest. I guess it sort of felt like a half finished game that they then wanted you to spend mega-bucks getting expansions for it and that sort of development style makes me really angry.

18. guruproto

guruproto Active Member Regular

The fact that Peter frowns upon his own game saddens me. I wanted to defend Fable 3, but after so many disappointing sequels I could not muster the courage to do so. I kept my hopes in check for the release of Fable 3, and as I expected, it flopped. The basis for the game had potential. The ability to be a king and rule the land as you see fit could have delivered an unparalleled experience for gamers. The new magic and combat system was a huge plus and could have been the icing on the cake. But sadly the game did not deliver.

I played and tried to like it, but the experience was marred by bad mechanics and the ridiculous inventory system. I can only hope that the new Fable Legends learns from its predecessors and becomes a good game.

19. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Well-Known Member Regular

Peter Molyneux has always overhyped the Fable games and promised a lot more than what actually shipped on those discs. Fable one was pretty cool and I think he could've kept that game going for a while with DLC updates.

I actually think if Fable 1 had come out now ,with the current graphics and they had expansion packs , it would be even better now. I'll always have fond memories of the original Fable.

20. MJAlex

MJAlex Member

Overall, I enjoyed the gameplay of Fable 3. That being said, the plot wasn't anything to talk about and it was missing what made Fable 1 and 2 so popular and unique. It didn't seem as fulfilling to choose a side in the latest installment. The combat was fun, it didn't seem like too much of a grind, but it wasn't satisfying to become a tyrant or a hero, and that's what kept me playing on the others.

Losing this, I believe, created bad reception overall. The plus to this is it's not difficult to find a copy of it for under $5 if you wanted to give it a try!