Quantcast

Earth, fire, or water for the starter Pokemon?

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Efrahinu19, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Efrahinu19

Efrahinu19 Member

The most difficult decision in any game. For me, I don't want to stress myself over it too much so I do a random pick and go with it. Sometimes I regret it and other times I'm thankful, but no matter who I pick I always end up with ghost and dark pokemons at the end of each game I play. I guess I'm part of the dark side.

2. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect Well-Known Member

Well if the fire pokemon in question is Charmander than the pokemon just chooses itself. Really, Charizard >> Blastoise and Venusaur

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member Regular

Charmander was the obvious choice for the first time I played through. Later however I preferred Blastoise simply because the fire attacks weren't that effective against a large range of targets. And besides, if you took Charamander then the other bastard took Blastoise and it was damn hard to find a couple of good grass types (especially in the beginning) to take him down.

4. xdratx1

xdratx1 Member

For some odd reason I always go for fire, they always seem to be the 'coolest' of the trio. For example Charizard looks way cooler then Venasaur or Blastoise

5. Oakster

Oakster Well-Known Member

I usually pick either fire or water, I just don't like using grass on my team, it has too many weaknesses

6. Zerth

Zerth Member

Yeah true, sometimes you regret picking your starter Pokemon, but I normally choose grass types since in most games, the grass types seem to be best for the first 2 gyms. Then after the 2 gyms, you can catch other Pokemon to win the rest which is easy.

7. KKrage

KKrage Well-Known Member

Picking the starter is so much stress. Takes me 30 minutes to pick, but I go for the grass types. Grass types look cool at the last evolution and it can learn awesome moves. Then just catch more Pokemon to grow and perfect.

8. I tend to go with whichever starter I think looks the best aesthetically which I usually find to be either the fire or water ones, although I did like Snivy. Grass also has a lot of weaknesses which I don't like and fire and water tend to be stronger in game.

9. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

Always fire. That's how I win :p

10. brandondnguyen90

brandondnguyen90 Active Member

I have always loved Water-type Pokemon. Back then when I first had Pokemon Blue, I always picked Squirtle. But the real starter Pokemon would definitely be Charmander. Charmander levels very easily through the early stages of the game because most of the Pokemon during the beginning of the game are Bug type and they are weak against Fire type. I'm only speaking for Pokemon Blue/Red/Yellow of course. I'm not quite sure about the other games.

11. Oakster

The problem with picking Charmander in Red/Blue was that the first two gyms were Rock and Water types so he had a little trouble getting through those, you were forced to get a new Pokémon to get past these gyms, luckily there were always appropriate types available to catch.

12. mauricioq

mauricioq Well-Known Member Regular

For me it was always between fire or water, I didn't like the earth type pokemon's.
    I mean on the first generation bulbasaur was pretty cool, but I just picked fire or water because they felt stronger.

13. Oakster

It's the other way around for me, I thought Bulbasaur was the worst one of the three in the first gen but for example in gen 3(?) Turtwig is by far the coolest and his final evolution gets a cool Grass/Ground typing.

14. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I always choose water as my starter everyone uses fire as their starter it's not original.

15. devilishomar

devilishomar Active Member

It depends on the version of the game really. For example, I would choose Charmander in Pokemon Firered because that's just my personal preference and i'll choose Mudkip in Pokemon Emerald because I just like those two Pokemons over the other starters.
    It doesn't really effect my gameplay that much. As long as i'm having fun with the Pokemon I chose, it all works out fine.

16. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

Usually in Pokémon games their are more water and fire type pokes and less grass types I remember restarting my Pokémon Soul Silver game for the grass type just because that element was way less.

17. kimjongchill

kimjongchill Active Member

You can choose any that isn't grass. Seriously, who chooses grass?

18. Kevin Valerio

Kevin Valerio Active Member

I would choose either Grass or Water. I personally hate the Fire starters only because most pokemon other than the grass starter would be caught with 2 or 3 Spores and Wrap. Vine whip if your lucky

19. SeanM

SeanM Well-Known Member

I always chose fire, fire pokemon tend to grow attack stats more readily, and that suits my playing style, relentless and straight forward attacks, thats just me.

20. Sharinflan

Sharinflan Member

Allways picked the water starter, but in 3rd gen I picked the grass one, and in 4th I picked the fire one. I guess I go with the one that looks cooler. But now that you can get your hands on the other ones via trade, it doesn't really matter anymore.