Quantcast

Does anyone else think Tales of is slightly overrated?

Discussion in 'Tales of...' started by Narukami, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

The games have some pretty damn fun combat systems, I'll give them that, but I have to say that they honestly seem overrated to me because of two reasons: story and characters.

The story and characters are so cliche that it hurts, it's like they took a bunch of generic anime cliches and put them all in a blender.

2. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

The only Tales game I played was Tales of Vesperia so I can't comment on this. What I do know is that Tales of Vesperia was a very good RPG but it wasn't an outstanding game. My main issue with the game was that I'm not fond of the designs; character wise.

3. Narukami

Vesperia, man, that's the 360 one, right? That dumb pink-haired chick and the stupid kid... urgh. Super lame characters.

4. 4justice

4justice Well-Known Member

No, I don't believe the Tales series is overrated. In fact, up until the PS2 generation, the series went under appreciated.

People don't realize the series is old. So old that it started on the SNES with Tales of Phantasia. The series was always good from the start. But because of things like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, it was always tried as a B class series.

All the attention the series gets now has been long overdue.

5. Narukami

I know it's really old, I've even played some of the PS1 era games which I think were partially remakes... but I just feel that it's not as great as some people rave on. Mostly, as I said, it's the characters and story that I have issue with because they just aren't all that great to me.

I do admit the battle systems are always very damn good and the music is pretty cool.

6. 4justice

There were no Tales remakes on the PS1 or the PS era for that matter. The stories and characters are solely opinion as to whether a person likes them or not.

But make no mistake, as a whole, the series is great.. The problem with the people raving about it as you say is the fact that MANY of them aren't true Tales fans. Most of them only just got into it in the PS3/360 era and act like they've played the games from the very start. So basically, they don't know what they're talking about, just following what "reviewers" tell them.

7. Narukami

I was under the impression that some of the PS1 games had been remakes, guess I was wrong on that front...

8. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

I don't think they are THAT overrated really. Most of the time they don't seem to get talked about at all. FF usually takes most of that spotlight.

9. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I feel that it was an overrated game, but with that be said just because it was overrated doesn't mean it wasn't good that is far from the casein my opinion a lot of games are way overrated in one way or another.

10. 4justice

Exactly, Tales falls under the same shadow that Suikoden, Breath of Fire, and Wild Arms fell under. It wasn't Final Fantasy so it "doesn't matter".

I'm glad Tales is getting some attention now. The problem is when ANYTHING is on the verge of getting big or popular people start too deem them overrated.

11. jbeavis100

Yeah, I agree. It's always been kinda a niece audience for the tales series. I don't really understand where this whole overrated thing is coming from? It's a refreshing game series with it's own interesting rule set that not very game share or even are anything like it. How is it overrated?

12. 4justice

That's the thing, it's not overrated. It's just becoming popular so by default it will have naysayers that think it's overrated. In a way, that's just proof that the series success is finally real.

13. jbeavis100

Yeah, I suppose that's true then. That's more of a good thing I suppose then a bad thing. Yay for Tales!

14. Narukami

Heh. I'm just gonna blame the people that say it's "OMG TEH BEST RPG SERIES" on why I feel this way over it, I guess.

Kind of sad that fanboys and fangirls can make things look so annoying.

15. 4justice

Those are the kind of people I reference when I say people that act like they've loved the series for x amount of time. But that happens when anything that gets big. Fanboys and Fangirls amp it and make a bigger deal of it than it really needs to be.

16. jbeavis100

Using that example you can pretty much say that about any franchise in existence though.

17. fireinyourwords

fireinyourwords Well-Known Member

I don't think I've played a Tales game before. I've been aware of the series for a while, but I don't think I've ever dived in. Has there been a recent Tales game on 360 or for the 3DS?

18. jbeavis100

Tales of Vesperia for 360 and The rerelease of Tales of the Abyss for 3DS.

I've heard both were quite good and I'm looking into picking up tales of the abyss

19. Narukami

And it's true, everything has its annoying fanboys and fangirls. For example, I frequent a the Vita subreddit in which people are always suggesting Persona 4 Golden, even to people that say they don't like jRPGs. There's a pretty massive circlejerk over that game in that forum... I love that game, one of my favorite games ever, but I get really annoyed by how silly the circlejerk is.

20. jbeavis100

It's worse because it seems modern persona people don't even know anything besides p3, and p4. I haven't quite gotten ahold of P3 or any of the other but I'm going to proclaim myself a fan after only playing one game in the series.