Do you prefer solo friendly, or group friendly, or equal for both?

Discussion in 'General MMORPG Discussion' started by vash, May 18, 2016.

1. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

In an MMORPG, would you like the game to be solo friendly? That is you can go on hunting, leveling up, do quests, raid, etc. all on your own without "impossible missions" or being at a disadvantage compare to a group?

Or would you like to have some kind of group (xp) bonus?

Back when I was playing Neverwinter Nights (1) on a persistence world server, they had the system set up so that if you solo, you get 54% XP per kill; duo will get you 70% XP per kill (for everyone); a part of three will get 85% XP; a party of 4~6 players will get 100% XP.
    Basically, when you kill a mob on your own and get 54 XP for the kill, you would have get 70 XP if you have someone with you (your partner also gets 70 XP too, on the top of two of you will kill faster)... and so on. It makes people on the server always look for a party of at least 4 in order to level up as quick as possible.

I understand it promotes socialization on the server with such party bonus, but what if some players just want to solo?

Myself likes to be in a group, but sometimes I can play solo too. It depends on my mood.

What do you guys prefer to play?
    What do you guys think the system should be? (solo or group friendly? Or it doesn't matter?)

2. HippyZomby

HippyZomby Member
    Regular

I am still a solo player, I have yet to find someone that I get along with in the games. I want to try and be friendly but the moment I ask a question outloud I get attitude. I get that you have been playing this game for years but if you want your game to keep going and bring in more people and more funding then you have to be nice and play nice. I get there are idgets out there that are annoying but when you have a legit noob really trying play nice make it friendly. I prefer solo questing.

3. anadrotowski

anadrotowski Well-Known Member
    Regular

I prefer playing with a group of friends because it really does add more to the game. Being able to communicate and use teamwork to fulfill a specific task is really cool. It's satisfying not only for you, but for the rest of your group.

4. vash

vash Well-Known Member
    Regular

Actually, you guys weren't exactly onto the point of the topic.
    I was not asking if you prefer to solo or play as a team. I was asking if you think it is necessary to give some kind of advantage (for example: more xp bonus) to solo or to team based, or both or none for either.

5. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

tricky question. For me it comes down to the Trinity.

Best - Trinity based dungeons with solo questing ( WOW)
    Second - Solo based questing with well rounded characters ( how I play DDO)
    Last - Dungeon based group games without the Trinity. ( zerg type games, very boring). Games need tank-healer-dps in order to have interesting mechanisms for enemy bosses.

6. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

For now I like solo playing. I am usually not that hardcore when playing games and I always feel bad when I'm grouped with players that are a lot more serious, which is usually the case since I rarely hear of players being as casual as I am.

7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

Definitely solo playing, it's not that I don't like playing with my friends but I don't want to depend on them to level up or finish a quest. After all you should be able to finish a game all by yourself.

8. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove
    Regular

I prefer both. I play Vindictus, and it's both geared for solo play and group play. I can solo pretty much anything in that game! Well, except the raids of course. Though, I usually prefer group play most of the time, because without someone to play with or talk too, I can get bored pretty quickly. My character is max level though, so that's probably why.

9. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

Same here. For me it's more also just because I prefer that this hobby is my own though. I have enough of my friends in real life so when I play I consider it "me" time.

10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

That's also a good thing. Sometimes I play MMORPGs simply because I want to relax without having to interact with my friends or family. It can get annoying if a game is group friendly.

11. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member
    Regular

I love having company. Sometimes it gets so lonely leveling up alone that you talk to the bots just for kicks, anyone had that experience before? Sometimes the bots have interesting stories too like in Pokemon or Ragnarok. I join guilds in the long run and small hunting parties in the short run when I'm not leveling up just so I have company. Group friendly it is for me I think but being on your own is cool too but a real waste of potions if you ask me.

12. StillWinning

StillWinning Well-Known Member
    Regular

I love more than one element in an rpg, so I'd say both. It's cool to be limited, but it's way better to have variety to keep you going during the long run to the end of the game :)

13. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

If the content doesn´t specifically demand more than 1 player, than almost always grouping up actually means less efficiency. And I am all about efficiency.

14. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

I prefer solo friendly, to be honest. If an MMO lets me experience all of its content while playing solo, it is a win for me.

15. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

Same for me. It's the toughest part for any game to accomplish because when you play with friends there's already an additional fun factor so if the game is able to make it fun even when you are just playing alone then it's definitely a good game.

Chris_A likes this.
  16. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

Completely agree. I always appreciate a good MMO that lets me experience the content even when my friends are not around and without having to rely on other people.

17. DeeDee

DeeDee Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yup. For some reason when it comes to this genre I'm not that hyped to play with my irl friends whereas when I'm playing a fighting game for example I enjoy it a lot more when I'm playing with them. I think it's because for me this genre is my own little world where I can just focus on my own interests.

18. gonemorp

gonemorp Well-Known Member
    Regular

I prefer group friendly because it's really fun to play the game with a group rather than sitting alone on the chair.

19. gonemorp

Regular

Why you don't like playing the game with a group? Is it irritating for you?

20. gonemorp

Regular

Yes, that's a good notion. We need to finish the game ourselves but I enjoy the game more when I play it with my friends.