Quantcast

Do you prefer RPG with custom characters? Or RPG with pre-set characters?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by CeliVega, Feb 26, 2014.

1. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

Customizing is one the aspect that I like most about the MMORPG game and if you take it away from it.. it would be come such awful. Of course customizable characters are way to badass to me and surely it would make a game better from this point of view.

2. tarverten

tarverten Well-Known Member

I like the preset characters as those tend to have a better story to them because they actually give the character identity rather than just some non-persona like the souls games for example.

3. llfsa

llfsa Active Member

Definitely custom. That for me is one of the few elements of customization and taking it away makes it all feel a whole less personal

4. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

I heavily prefer custom characters. I love games that give you a lot of possibilities with your character builds too, like Dark Souls 2, you can be pretty much anything in that game. A swift dual-dagger thief, a heavy tank with a massive sword, someone who reliest mostly on magics, someone who uses both magics and weapons equally, etc, etc.

Now, I don't really mind it if we are a pre-set character, as long as we get a lot of variety on how to play. I know Lords of the Fallen allows you to play with different sorts of builds, despite having a pre-set character.

5. Obi

Obi Well-Known Member

Depends on the story. Obviously if I'm playing Skyrim or Fallout I want to be able to change my character all I like, but in some other games the story is dependent on the preset character in the game.. Playing a 4ft cat is all well and good in Skyrim, but in The Witcher 3?

6. niightwind

niightwind Well-Known Member

Custom characters, definitely. I enjoy some games with preset characters but I don't feel as involved in them as I do with games with customizable characters. Even if the customization options are very limited, I find it easier to get into the game. It is an integration thing, I think. If I don't feel like I'm part of the storyline, I just don't feel the same sort of connection.

Heavily customizable characters are my favorite but even if the protagonist has a set appearance with the option to change the name, that's great to me. Having at least the ability to rename the protag is very important to me, even a deciding factor in a lot of RPGs.

That being said, I see the benefit in some games to having a preset character. I do enjoy some games with presets, like Kingdom Hearts. I just don't feel the same involvement in the story, though, and if I had the choice I would always choose a custom character.

7. Now, I love, love, LOVE customizing my character, but I always take like hours trying to come up with the best look for myself. Even when character creation doesn't have a lot of options I still take a long time. I love having the perfect look though, and it's actually kinda fun for me, but sometimes it's just exhausting and I want to start the game. For me, it's almost worse than thinking of a name for myself. So even though it pains me to say, I prefer without so I could just get onto the game.

8. srofltank

srofltank Well-Known Member Regular

Custom characters - having the ability to create your own characters allows the game to be more enjoyable because it allows you to create your own "story" for your character as well as appeareances and traits rather than being forced and limited to a certain character(s). Even most RPGs like Fallout and Skyrim allow you to create your own character.

9. theGIJST

theGIJST Well-Known Member Regular

Both have their ups and their downs. For example, when you get to create a character, it can never really have good voice acting or anything. For example, Witcher games have a pre-set character, and he is a bad-ass. The voice acting is superb and, most important of all, believable. Most games where you get to create your character, either don't have voice acting or do a poor job at it. For example, Saints Row, which is not an RPG, lets you create a character but the voice acting is horrible, but still it's a great game. Dragon Age Inquisition and Dragon Age 2 both let you create your character, but the voice acting is horrible, as well. Dragon Age Origins did a lot better job at that by not giving you a voiced character.

I prefer, however, a game where I can make my own character, with or without voice acting. Fallout 4, however, which is the game that I have been waiting for a long time for, is going to feature both voice acting and a custom character. I hope they pull it off nicely. I'm excited for that!

10. sorrowscall

sorrowscall Well-Known Member

For me, this depends on if the game is an online game or an Xbox game. If it's an Xbox or online game then I prefer to be able to have the ability to set the character how I want. I don't know why I specifically like it on those two platforms, but I do. As for any other platform, I'm fine with either a pre-set or my own set.

11. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

Well, it makes a lot of sense with an online game. You don't want everyone running around with the same damn character, after all, that's just lame.

12. While both have their time and place, I definitely prefer custom characters. I like to roleplay as my own character.

It's a cool feeling watching a character that was born in my head come to life and grow throughout the game.