Quantcast

Do you prefer RPG with custom characters? Or RPG with pre-set characters?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by CeliVega, Feb 26, 2014.

1. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

I'd have to say that customizing characters is always better than getting stuck with generic ones, unless you're talking about some immersive story in another genre of games.

2. GamerPerson

GamerPerson Well-Known Member

I prefer the prior. I LOVE customization in video games. Makes it more alive and immerse I could put myself into the game's world and just have a ball! Think about what path I may take next or just straight out kill someone I don't like. That type of freedom is what I LOVE in today's video games. Now, I love games from years back, don't get me wrong. Story can lead you to some awesome places with characters that are fleshed out. However, if you give me a game where I make my own hero, you're letting the gamer take the reins and paint out their own ballad to be told for years to come.

3. Brady2121

Brady2121 Well-Known Member

I definitely prefer custom character options! I like to have a unique character, not some pre-created character. For me, customized characters make the game all so much better!

4. majessticah

majessticah Active Member

I have a weird preference for this, actually! So, any time the main character does not SPEAK audibly (ie has no voice we hear) then I want a custom character that I can make look however I want. One example would be Skyrim, where all dialogue from you is merely text, even though the NPCs have voice acting. Now if you can hear the character's voice, I usually prefer a preset character that already matches the voice... it bugs me if the voice does not match the face. One exception to this would be the Mass Effect triology... I'm not sure if I prefer the default characters in this game, but generally, this is my rule. Weird, right? :p

5. Primalclaws1974

Primalclaws1974 Well-Known Member

Honestly, I like both. As long as the RPG has multiple characters allowed per account, I like to have the ability to custom build a character's skills and appearance when I have time. If I am in a hurry, and have something specific I need to do with a character, I barely have time to name it, let alone decide what color his hair should be! There is a time and a place for both functions.

6. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member Regular

Either or, doesn't bother me. I grew up playing JRPGs where your character was pretty much set. I enjoy customizing my own characters for RPGs too but ultimately as long as I can enjoy the story and the game, it's not at all that bothersome for me.

7. fliktor7

fliktor7 Well-Known Member

It depends, usually I prefer to custommize my own characters, I love to spend hours editing their looks and skills, and also I love rpgs with tons of dialogue options, for make a more customizable charisma, but there are games with predefined characters that I love and I won't chage a bit of them, as Geralt of Rivia (from the witcher).

8. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member Regular

Custom characters. I love to create my own character but I also like Preset characters and adjust a little bit.

9. JohnnyHopkins

JohnnyHopkins Well-Known Member Regular

I prefer custom characters because I like to create characters with ridiculous names and outfits. I like to go all out and really mould my own story. With pre set characters half the fun of truly adventuring is cut in half.

10. Kittyworker

Kittyworker Well-Known Member

If theres no character customization in a game than I find it very hard to even call it an RPG. I don't need to customize my characters looks, but if I cant customize their skills and stats than the game isn't an RPG to me.

11. wowtgp

wowtgp Well-Known Member

It depends whether I am playing a RPG or MMORPG. If it's a single player game, I would much rather go with pre-set characters. That's why I love games like The Wicther. Is Geralt simple awesome?

12. gats

gats Well-Known Member Regular

I like games that have preset templates but the ability to change the names and builds of the character. Games like Final Fantasy and Diablo 1/2 had this.

13. fatguy39

fatguy39 Active Member

It would really depend for me with the game or the extent of which the developers actually want your main character to be part of the main story. One problem that I see with custom characters is that you sometimes lack dialogue or even be a part of the story itself, a feat which pre-set characters don't seem to mind, since their personality, placement in the story, and freedom of dialogue to use that comes along is done.

If what you mean though is customization as far as aesthetics go, it'll be nice as always. That being said, as long as the quality of the story is not sacrificed for a custom made, non-speaking usually, character, then it'll be great.

14. anadrotowski

anadrotowski Well-Known Member Regular

I would prefer pre-set characters. It allows me to dive more into the story with these characters of their own emotions, skin, and clothing. I can get more of a sense of the situation being outside rather than customizing myself into the game and trying to evaluate the game from my perspective. Plus, it saves me the hassle of customizing a character for myself and getting all the right features down.

fatguy39 likes this.
  15. Natalie89

Natalie89 Member

I really enjoy being able to customise characters, but I tend to find that I actually spend more time doing that than I do playing the game most of the time, so for RPG's the pre-set ones work better for me from a game play perspective.

16. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

Depends really, but I'd probably choose preset characters over the custom ones. I think that the story can be better if they're already following something from the start, but a custom character wouldn't be too bad either.

17. Athilea

Athilea Well-Known Member

I far prefer custom characters, as those are the games that tend to give you the option to be female over male. There are some exceptions to this, of course. Fable 2 and 3 had preset characters, but gave you an option between being male or female. I can't stand being forced to play a male character most of the time, so if I'm going to play something, I need the option to be female.

18. Oblivious

Oblivious Well-Known Member Regular

I definitely prefer custom characters. It's more fun to create a character from scratch and make them have their own distinct personality according to your preferences. They give you the opportunity to shape your character any way you want, both in terms of looks and "personality".

19. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member Regular

I love custom characters! Not only can I make the character look like however I want them, but sometimes I don't find the set characters appealing to me at all. Imagine having to play 30 hours with a character you wish you didn't have to look at...

20. rzbh

rzbh Active Member

A little of column A, a little of column B. I like customization, but preset character is far easier to write, which means the writing can be tighter, more focused, and better.

So, while I prefer customization, I generally don't mind sacrificing it if I can get better story from the game. Of course, sometimes the story still suck, in which case I'm annoyed~