Quantcast

Do you generally play as an evil character, or as a good character?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by West, Sep 1, 2015.

1. razer

razer Well-Known Member Regular

I always play good characters. Somehow can't bring myself to play evil ones.

2. Wick99

Wick99 Well-Known Member Regular

I always play a good character. Whenever I do evil stuff in games I always feel guilty about it. Unless it's stealing. For some reason I don't feel bad about stealing very much.

3. shadejb

shadejb Well-Known Member Regular

I always play a good character, given the choice. To me there is just not enough incentive to play evil in video games. Sure, you can be an asshole, but that's not really evil; and often playing evil means loosing some of the rewards. Not to mention the comically evil chocie that you usually have (save the child, or kill him. Why, why can't I just leave him alone and finish the quest ?). IMO Bioware is very guilty of this binary system, although DA: Origin and Jade Empires are some good exceptions. I'd say playing a grey Jedi in KOTOR 2 or an ambiguous character in New Vegas is very refreshing, Obsidian seems to know how to make a morally grey situation.

4. HalfBeard

HalfBeard Well-Known Member Regular

Ruthless good guy who doesn't have any problem using violence or beginning a quest for revenge. Kinda like Batman.

5. evelination

evelination Well-Known Member Regular

It doesn't really matter to me; it's not like the game influences my IRL in any way. Sometimes, playing the evil character is more enticing than the good one, but which games nowadays really put a strong emphasis on evil characters anyway? I'd like to play 'em!

6. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

I play a well written character. And with that I mean that if to be a villain it means that I have to be the cartoony type that is evil just because, then it's stupid in my opinion and I never play like that. The same goes for being a good guy.
    I remember KOTOR2 for example, where there were actually good reasons to be on the dark side. That's what I'm talking about.

7. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member Regular

I prefer playing with a good character don't know why. However if I have played a game enough I like to play it again with a bad character and see how it differs.

8. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member Regular

There are a lot of games which don't exactly allow you to play as a proper bad character even though you have the dialogue options and that's a huge flaw IMO. However, I still like exploring those options after I finish my first playthrough as a goodey two shoes. I also switch my playstyle as well and go from warrior to rogue or a mage. Makes me feel like I'm playing a whole different game.

9. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

That's because the game writers care more about showing you what they wrote for the "canon" story that they won't allow you mess it up with player freedom, which goes against "role playing" in my opinion. Fallout 4, for example, suffers from that in many sections of the story. They won't let you ruin a scene with your input, or you can't choose to be a mean person in certain situations.

10. d'arakh

d'arakh Well-Known Member Regular

Yup, this fall sense of choice has kinda always been there, but it just feels so cheap in the day and age of massive games where hundreds of millions are invested into making that game. Not a lot of branching stories in video games these days.

11. Mildredtabitha

Mildredtabitha Well-Known Member Regular

I play as a good character.