Quantcast

Do you generally play as an evil character, or as a good character?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by West, Sep 1, 2015.

1. West

West Well-Known Member Regular

If you're given the choice, of course.

Typically, I will play as a character who leans towards good, but will also do bad things. Just like most normal people are. For instance, my Skyrim character is very polite and completes everything the "good" way, but will still occasionally steal and pickpocket others.

2. Fozz

Fozz Well-Known Member Regular

I am all about that evil life. I try to make my character the most evil dude possible. I can't bring myself to do it irl, so, I do in game. Occasionally I'll get bleeding heart syndrome in game and make a "good" choice, however, generally, I am all about team evil.

3. ISKMogul

ISKMogul Well-Known Member

I tend to play both sides. I will almost always play a chaotic good character to the best that a given game will allow. The number of times I tried to roleplay as the heroic catalyst of some anarchistic revolution in various game worlds has caused me to lose count.

4. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Well-Known Member Regular

First playthrough I go fully good and I am the perfect person, second time im evil as shit and muder anything in sight.

5. thecorinthian

thecorinthian Well-Known Member Regular

When I'm just staring out in a game I play it good the whole time. When I finish the story I then make another character that's completely evil. I play for the story but stay for the murder. It's very cathartic and makes me a better person in real life.

6. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member Regular

Based on D&D terms, I used to primarily play Neutral Good characters, but as I got older, I started leaning towards playing True Neutral or Lawful Evil characters. Though I am still inclined to be less evil. Of course, if only there is a game out there that has that sort of gradient of dispositions and alignments, but it's impossible I surmise to have a game that caters to all sorts of alignments. What if I don't want to rescue the kidnapped prince? What if I want to destroy the kidnappers, then hold the prince for ransom? What if I don't want to help the town against the horde of ogres? I want to take over the town and make an example of the town mayor by having his head strapped to the gate.

What if I don't want to help you rescue your daughter? Instead, I am going to take her as my concubine. What if I don't want to return your father's treasured sword? I want to keep it for myself.

7. jbepp

jbepp Well-Known Member

I generally play as a combination of both. Not really good, but also not really bad. I always play like myself so I make decision based on how I would answer them. I can't really go against what I think so I never really play as someone very good or someone very bad.

8. grinder

grinder Well-Known Member

Generally I tend to be an evil one because I've been always fascinated by the characters who hides something malicious and fights the good ones. The outsiders are always the welcome to me.

9. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member Regular

I'm usually good though I have a tendency to do bad things towards any enemies in the game or to characters I couldn't care less about. I'm just a good person in general, except for when I get the urge to do something bad just for laughs.

10. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

I do some little bad things here and there, like steal shit when noone's watching, but I stick to being a good character since being evil is usually not rewarding at all.

11. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member Regular

Yeah, I'm mainly guilty of that in my games since I play my characters as heroic but have klepto tendencies. I still remember going into Skyrim and breaking into the Thalmor Embassy to steal everything and leave it bare except the furniture. It took me a few trips, but I was able to pull it off XD

12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

I don't have a preference, I usually go with the character that allures me the most. I like playing both parts, although it's nice from time to time to play as the bad guy as well - it just twists the story a little.

13. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

I usually play a good character in all of my games. I just can`t bring myself to play the bad guy. I might have done it a few times in Mass Effect, but just for the fun of it. Like that one time Shepard punches that guy on the interrogation table for massive Renegade points. :D

14. MandyMarieB

MandyMarieB Well-Known Member Regular

It honestly depends on the game. If it's something I'll replay, then I'll do a run-through of each.

For Epic Mickey, for example, I tried my best to stay with the 'hero' side... but sometimes you end up doing the wrong thing inadvertently. :/

15. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove Regular

I usually like playing as a "Chaotic Good" type of character. I'm generally the good guy, but I will do some insane shit for shits an giggles.

16. Touchstone

Touchstone Well-Known Member Regular

Typically a Good-aligned (or at least neutral) character. I can't stomach several of the evil actions an evil-aligned character would do. As for the ethics scale, sometimes I play as lawful, sometimes neutral, and sometimes chaotic.

17. Ram Levy

Ram Levy Well-Known Member Regular

Most of the time I play good characters. I like to be the hero.

18. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member Regular

I'll play both sides to get a feel. Generally I'm chaotically neutral. I can't stomach playing a saint and I'm not a megalomaniac.

19. moneyman

moneyman Well-Known Member Regular

It doesn't matter to me but mostly I prefer playing a game as good character instead of a bad one. However, it is not possible in all games.

20. Domixion

Domixion New Member

I'd say good in roleplaying and evil in fighting games; evil makes me feel like i am strong, as i am not really at all in real life. In roleplaying, i just like a fresh feeling of goodness.