Quantcast

Do you enjoy leveling up?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by lindbergh, Aug 31, 2013.

1. xlzqwerty1

xlzqwerty1 Well-Known Member

It depends on how one levels up... If it's grinding to level up, then no, I wouldn't even play such a game. But if it's a game that is very immersive and requires player interaction in order to level up, it will obviously be interesting and fun to play. It gives not only a sense of achievement, but you now know that you feel you worked hard for the new progression. Now that your character is higher level, you know that you can do a lot of other stuff you previously could not do before in the game. I wish all RPG games were like this... It just brings more replay value to the game.

2. Zlyuka

Zlyuka Well-Known Member

Definitely yes, can't wait to use that spell or skill, or a level restricted item. It's one of the things that keep me playing.

The reality is that even in best games you have to grind sometimes, be it for exp or rare drops :)

3. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

For me it might be fun at the early stages of the game, but usually around mid level it takes awhile to grind and for me it becomes tedious.

4. Oakster

Oakster Well-Known Member

That's when you get creative and start using your AoE skills to kill huge packs as fast as possible :)

5. Vegany

Vegany Member

I hate constant grinding. I like it when there are always side quests available to help you out so you can choose what to do. But yes, I loved when my characters leveled up. Also felt an good rush, and I grew eager to move on to higher level areas and find new items and battle different monsters. Plus new abilities are always fun to play around with.

6. Mameshiba

Mameshiba Member

I might be a bit weird, but I really do enjoy grinding. There's just something about watching my level go up that I really like - I think it's just the feeling of having something to show for it, that everyone can immediately see. It's just a never-ending goal. I remember when I used to play Maple Story in the beta; pretty much all you could do was grind.

7. Tykain

Tykain Member

In RPGs yes I do enjoy leveling up thoroughly.
    In MMOs, not so much. I just want to get to max level asap and do the high end content, that's where the fun is at to me.

8. TheViper

TheViper Well-Known Member

I think that if we didn't have leveling up then it would just become boring. Leveling up keeps things interesting.

9. jardantuan

jardantuan Active Member

Definitely - without levelling, or some similar system, it's not really an RPG in my opinion. Part of the RPG experience is that feeling of progression, the feeling of "hang on a second, I can survive in this cave I went past earlier" and the feeling of having accomplished something.

I do usually find it can get tedious towards the end of a game though. Early on, when you level up from a couple of fights, I enjoy it, but when it takes hundreds of fights just to gain a single level (usually with very meaningless stat increases) I lose interest in it. Pokemon is one of the few games in which I don't mind maxing characters out over and over again - not really sure why, but I very rarely do in any other games.

10. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitect Well-Known Member

Leveling up is a part of the game after all. As long as it doesn't get grinding, I definitely enjoy it.

I mean look at pokemon, the game is essentially about leveling up your pokemon. Take that out and the game loses its charm.

11. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

I agree, leveling up is the most important part in any game, it's like you are born, and you start learning things and growing up, ultimately reaching the final level and completing your training. I loved leveling up in WOW and Witcher because when you are small even a rat can be dangerous and threatening for your life.

12. BroknKyboard

BroknKyboard Well-Known Member

I don't mind the grinding as long as they offer a variety of opponents/areas to level up in, but having to repeat the same few actions again and again turns me off from the game and doesn't make the fleeting boss fights worth the time I spent working up to it.

13. heyhowareyou

heyhowareyou Well-Known Member

It depends on the game. As long as I feel accomplished and as long as I'm having fun, then I'm all for it. Some games making leveling a chore, though, and it feels more like a job than playing a game, and that's when I lose interest.

14. jbepp

jbepp Well-Known Member

I enjoy leveling up because if done right it makes you feel that your character grows with every level and you gain power, influence, etc.
    That's why I love RPGs.

15. Astdua

Astdua Well-Known Member Regular

Usually the first few leveling stages are the best, and I am pretty enthusiastic about it, the game is fun, I've just picked a fresh class and race, it's new and exciting, and it keeps me occupied and focused. But as with most RPG's, there comes a point where at a high level, just getting a single level more becomes a terrible, repetitive grind, and I am really tired of seeing myself not progressing for hours, and then I just sort of start disliking it.

Depending on the game, I might not even care about levels at all, I would just be focused on doing my thing, and the levels are a background noise and come as a bonus

16. lord1027

lord1027 Well-Known Member

Leveling up is the whole point of an RPG. If you don't like leveling up, you don't like RPGs :) It gives me great satisfation when I level up and meet some requirements for specific items or quest, especially at higher levels.

17. William Quah

William Quah Well-Known Member

That is why it's called RPG, you role-play as a character, go through the character's story and leveling up to become stronger. I think leveling up is the reason why we play RPGs. I can't imagine what's an RPG without leveling up.

18. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

I love leveling when it doesn't feel like a grind. Most games do leveling right, but Borderlands is one game in which leveling is extremely exciting. Specially in Borderlands 2, with the ridiculously awesome skills.

Leveling in like MMORPGs is a damn chore most of the time, though...

19. rosacrux

rosacrux Well-Known Member

Leveling up is one the most attractive features in RPGs. I like to see how my characters evolve, not only by getting better weapons but by learning new abilities and becoming stronger.

20. Zlyuka

Zlyuka Well-Known Member

Not so much, I prefer skill-based RPGs where you gain stats and skills, and not levels. However pure level RPGs are ok as long as there are no skills as both levels and skills make horrible combination - skills become secondary at best and are nothing more than annoyance when leveling up.