Quantcast

Do you consider The Legend of Zelda to be an RPG

Discussion in 'The Legend of Zelda' started by Dame6089, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

I consider it more of an action-adventure game. It has none of the classic RPG elements such as gear stats, leveling up and such.

I would consider the Yakuza series more of an RPG. It even has "random" battles (you only fight once random punks approach you looking for trouble), along with having leveling, gear, gear stats, even crafting.

2. Jboh

Jboh Active Member Regular

If you take the phrase literally, then yeah, you could say Zelda is an RPG game. However, many elements that traditional RPG games have are missing from most TLOZ games. Levels, statistics, progression-based skill systems, ect.

3. Humble

Humble Member Regular

I think that it is more of an adventure game that was influenced by RPGs. I would not say that it is an RPG in the stricter sense. Link levels up and there is a story, but there isn't room for any change as the story is set. It focuses more on the adventure than the role playing aspect. Either way, its a great game.

4. aquaticneko

aquaticneko Well-Known Member Regular

I would mostly call it an action game with rpg elements. I mean the earlier zelda games were really platformers with elements of rpg and action. Even minish cap feels more action-y with the way the battle plays out etc. I do love the rpg elements in them though. As the zelda games progress they do gain more and more of the rpg elements.