Quantcast

Do you consider The Legend of Zelda to be an RPG

Discussion in 'The Legend of Zelda' started by Dame6089, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Dame6089

Dame6089 Active Member

This topic has been debated for awhile. I have always considered the Zelda series to be adventure games more than RPGs. I see why people can consider them RPGs because you amass more skills and power as you continue the quest, but it is not in the traditional experience system. What is your opinion on this?

2. tinybutnotfangless

tinybutnotfangless Well-Known Member Regular

The Zelda games are not strictly role playing games, even though you play a character that can level up. I would say it's an Action Adventure game with role playing elements.

To deem a game primarily a role playing game, the game must have character progression in the form of leveling of skills and attributes or the equivalent, as well as customizability. Also, what you choose to do should have consequences even if in a limited capacity. A good example of a role playing game would be the Fallout series or Elder Scrolls' series. A good example of an Action Adventure role playing game would be Torch Light 2 and Titan Quest.

3. anadrotowski

anadrotowski Well-Known Member Regular

It really is just an awesome action adventure game. I could see how people would try to classify the game as such, but it's essentially following a young boy and his adventure of saving Hyrule.

4. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Well-Known Member Regular

I always wondered if Zelda was a rpg game. Maybe it really is just an adventure game with rpg elements.

5. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member Regular

I really don't think that Zelda was an RPG game. I always thought this was an adventure game that is all.

6. RolePlayer

RolePlayer Well-Known Member Regular

Definitely more of an action game, but it still has a little bit of feel of a role playing game. The story line and characters liken it to a sort of Dungeons and Dragons type of game. You collect items and rupees and use magic etc. It's definitely a classic whatever it is.

7. Not really. The Legend of Zelda has RPG elements but I don't consider it to be one. But does it matter what we call it as long as it's fucking awesome? If only every RPG were as good as Zelda.

8. gats

gats Well-Known Member Regular

Although Zelda is very story based and linear, I still think of it as being an RPG. There is optional content and optional items that you can obtain just like in any other RPG.

9. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

The original games, maybe. The newer ones, not so much. Action adventure.

10. TurningCoffee

TurningCoffee Member

I think nowadays Zelda would really have to be considered a more adventure title. It doesn't have some of the traditional RPG elements, like character customization and progression. Sure you pick up a whole collection of weapons/items to help you out, but it's not really the same as a Final Fantasy or a Tales of... game.

11. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member Regular

I've never thought of the series as being an RPG since Link doesn't really level up and the only way he gains new abilities is by finding items and performing tasks. While it would be interesting to see an RPG made from this, I think it is better off being an Action-Adventure game.

12. niightwind

niightwind Well-Known Member

Hmm after reading the replies here I guess I'm in the minority, lol. I always have considered the Legend of Zelda games to be within the RPG genre. I guess if you think really hard about it, it is more of a sub-genre of RPG, something of a blend between RPG and action/adventure. But then again, maybe I'm looking at "RPG" wrong compared to what you all are thinking. To me a role playing game is a game where you do just as the title of the genre says; assume the role of a character to play. There's plenty of "classic" RPG elements that LoZ is lacking that can set it apart from the genre, but in my opinion that doesn't make it not an RPG at all. I mean, even with some things lacking, you still grow in strength, change your weapons, go on a quest through the game in the role of Link... Why shouldn't it be considered an RPG?

13. West

West Well-Known Member Regular

RPG stands for “roleplaying game”. It’s a game where you play as someone else. Yes, in LoZ you play as Link, and you earn equipment and level up. However, where does the roleplaying come in? You are not able to create your own character, you are not able to make decisions that affect the rest of the game, you can’t level any stats aside from your health, you receive new equipment only through the central story…By your definition, any game with a single player campaign can be considered an RPG.

14. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Well-Known Member Regular

Not an RPG, not as much customization and leveling up of skills, it is more of an adventure/action game type, with a huge basis on the story and basic gameplay.

15. ChilledFlamez

ChilledFlamez Member

Many people here seem to have a different opinion on what they think an RPG is. I don't think Zelda has ever been an RPG to me aside from Adventure of Link, to some extent, since it had a clear progression system which permanently increased more stats than just health (magic was also increased). Other Zelda games don't have the same feel as an RPG. Customizable armor and equipment, lasting decisions, 100+ hours spent on hundreds of side-quests, etc. The closest thing to that feeling was Skyward sword, with potion crafting, and upgradable shields, as well as a couple of side-quests over Skyloft and different areas.

16. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Well-Known Member Regular

In twilight princess you re able to turn into that wolf thing. But I guess that doesn't count as customizing your character.

17. Necrotica

Necrotica Active Member Regular

I'd say that The Legend of Zelda is a mixture of action-adventure and RPG. If anything, the older titles were incredibly influential to the RPG genre because of the levels of exploration and inventory system involved.

18. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

Well, technically it caters more to the adventure genre rather than RPG but you get involved with the characters a lot throughout the game which makes it kind of relevant in the RPG genre as well.

19. Cereus

Cereus Well-Known Member Regular

I personally see Zelda as action/adventure more than RPG. There's plot and storyline but there's a lack of certain character depth/immersion that would merit it as RPG. I'm not attached to the characters in Zelda the same way I am with characters from Final Fantasy.

20. misskrystal1982

misskrystal1982 Active Member Regular

I think it's hard to tell because RPG's are adventures. So in the end, it's like one of those horrible math problems. RPGs are adventures but not all adventures are RPG. In the end, I think it is, but that is just me. I don't care what you call it, I still love to play it.