Quantcast

Difference between P3 Portable and PS2.

Discussion in 'Persona 5 Royal' started by jbeavis100, Dec 25, 2013.

1. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

What are the major differences? I want to get into the persona franchise and I've heard that P3 is the best place to jump in. Which one should I go for?

2. Narukami

Narukami Well-Known Member Regular

I prefer Persona 3 Portable, but there's some huge differences... I'll try to list the major ones so as to be concise

Persona 3 FES:
    +All cutscenes are presented with in-game models/animations
    +Includes The Answer epilogue which is an important part of the story (Persona 4 Arena spoils it, BTW)
    -Can't directly control party members

Persona 3 Portable:
    +Vision Quests allow you to refight bosses and fight a new powerful secret boss
    +Skill Cards allow for easier Persona customization
    +Female Main Character option with different social links, music and events
    +Can access high-level Monad dungeon and secret boss without having to play "New Game+"
    +Can directly control party members, making combat less tedious
    +Combat includes refinements originally made for Persona 4
    -Female MC isn't canon
    -All cutscenes are presented by still images, portraits and text (like a visual novel)
    -Doesn't include The Answer epilogue (major con, since it's important to the story)

So yes, basically... FES has better presentation and the important epilogue, but Portable has much better gameplay. I would recommend FES overall to a newbie, specially since it would be hard to play FES after getting used to P4's and P3P's more refined systems.

That, or play Persona 3 Portable and watch a playthrough of FES' The Answer online, lol.

3. jbeavis100

jbeavis100 Well-Known Member

MMM, well I'll have to grab FES then. I really think that would drive me nuts not knowing the epilogue..

4. Narukami

Alright, cool, heh. Have fun shooting yourself in the head to summon your inner demons and deities! :p

5. ProNine

ProNine Well-Known Member Regular

I also remember you not being able to move the MC in the portable version. All you can do is move a cursor using the PSP's analog stick.

6. Narukami

That's true. You only move a cursor and not the actual MC while in the city. I kinda like that change, since it is faster to move the cursor than the MC. I think that was one of the changes they did because maybe the PSP couldn't handle the fully-rendered city or something, though?

Anyway, yeah, that's one of the most noticeable changes.