Did anyone prefer F:NV over F3?

Discussion in 'Fallout: New Vegas' started by NinjaTael, Jun 5, 2015.

1. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I'll give you that point in regards to the game. I really did enjoy the music of the game and I would be more than happy to track down the complete soundtrack so I can put it on my iPod.

2. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member
    Regular

I liked New Vegas much more then Fallout 3. The story was much more fleshed out, and the game gave you much better immersion then Fallout 3. But it is no wonder, since New Vegas was developed by the original Fallout developers.

3. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member
    Regular

I want to play both games right about now. :'(

4. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Well-Known Member
    Regular

Yeah it was better in pretty much every aspect but I just don't know. The nostalgic feeling I get from Fallout 3 since it was my first of the series as well counts for a lot. I really did love New Vegas though and how innovative it was, hopefully the new on is the same!

5. heatblast92

heatblast92 Member
    Regular

My first Fallout game was New Vegas, so I would be probably be deemed biased by saying that I prefer it more to Fallout 3. For me, at least, New Vegas had expansions with better stories and more likeable characters. I simply adore Dead Money, even though seeing ghost people jumping around wherever I went in the former for the first time freaked me out a lot, and as resources were scarce in the first few parts of the story, there were times I found myself in dire need of a stimpak or two upon having endured god knows how many spears thrown in my face by said ghost people, and on one occasion, I even got myself killed by a bear trap. :/

On the other hand, New Vegas felt empty compared to Fallout 3, even though I am aware that the former is set in the Mojave wasteland, which is supposed to be empty. There is a general sense of hopelessness that would usually accompany an image of a war-torn world in Fallout 3 with its crumbling buildings and subway tunnels. Also, I have no complaints about nuking a super mutant behemoth in Fallout 3 with a Fat Man for the first time, which is something New Vegas sorely lacks, so there's that. :) For some reason, I much prefer Fallout 3's radio playlist, though it may be due to the fact that there is an actual radio host playing it instead of a preprogrammed voice recording.

6. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Member

I think this was a great game. I would prefer the Fall Out 3 to the New Vegas though. I cannot explain my reasoning too well. I think they are both excellent versions of the Fall Out series. I just like the story line of the Fall Out 3 better than the story line for the New Vegas version.

7. slaughterboy

slaughterboy Member

Bethesda did a fantastic job with Fallout 3. There is a reason that Fallout 3 won game of the year. Fallout New Vegas did not. The only award that FO:NV won was "Most wanted game of 2010!" (Obsidian can thanks Bethesda for that.) Fallout 3 was better than Fallout New Vegas. It certainly did have a better ATMOSPHERE.

8. Kitty Reeves

Kitty Reeves Iron Hand in a Velvet Glove
    Regular

Nope, I like FO3 much much more the FO:NV. Sometimes about New Vegas puts me off, but there are some cool things in it. Which is a pity, because New Vegas seems so grand in concept but falls far sort in reality.

9. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member
    Regular

I find the story line in FO3 to be better due to the fact that your choices and your actions in the game matter and the setting for the most part is shaped by you. In New Vegas, you're just a pawn (albeit a powerful one) in someone else's plan. I just found the ending to be somewhat anticlimactic in that sense for New Vegas.

10. malarieours

malarieours Member

Personally, I liked the story line in F3 so much more! I will agree with some other posters and say that the environment in NV was really great, though. I'm pretty biased though, because F3 was the first game I ever really connected with and loved.

11. Vivi3030

Vivi3030 Member

I'm playing through New Vegas for the first time right now, and it's fun. But I have to say I prefer 3, I think. Maybe I'm clouded by nostalgia, but I remember 3 as being one of my favorite games, and while NV is good, it's not mind-blowing for me.

However, I have huge hopes for 4, I think it could easily be the best in the series with all the new mechanics and content. :)

12. Typhon

Typhon Well-Known Member

I can play F3 over and over again. NV I have to let sit for a while.

13. SpartanScooter

SpartanScooter Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think gameplay wise, most people liked NV over 3. The world in 3 was much more interesting to explore than the deserts of Mojave though. I also liked the story and endings of NV much more.

36 people like this.
  14. West

West Well-Known Member
    Regular

I didn't really like the stories for either game, but I think that Fallout 3 was more developed as a game. Maybe I'm biased, since I played FO3 first, but F:NV didn't even really feel like its own game. I would play and think to myself, "This is it?" There weren't really any additional mechanics or features that blew my mind. The graphics weren't that much better--everything just changed from being green to being orange/brown. It felt like a side-grade to FO3, and I was sort of disappointed in that right.

15. andkno

andkno Member

I agree with you, I prefer Fallout New Vegas over Fallout 3, I don't really know why, but when I'm playing the game I feel completely immerse on it, however when I play fallout 3, I feel a little bit outside of it, I am playing the Fallout New Vegas DLCs at the moment and they're pretty funny.

16. jessaashley

jessaashley Member

I'm usually ashamed to admit it, but yes I loved New Vegas a lot more than 3. I'm not sure what got me to play it more than 3. It was more fun wandering the wasteland in NV, I suppose. I found that I spent hours upon hours searching for a great treasure, and low and behold I'd find it. The desert and the theme also rubbed me the right way. I am from the DC/MD/VA area that Fallout 3 took place in and I suppose knowing what that area is really like and then playing a game in the same setting kind of made for a strange time.

17. muffinman19981998

They both have their perks. I think that 3 is better in my opinion. It was a much more enjoyable experience I found.

18. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member
    Regular

While I enjoyed the soundtrack of New Vegas I'll have to say that Fallout 3 is the better of the two. The game is simply amazing and has a beautiful story.

19. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member
    Regular

I like New Vegas more. The companions, the factions, the stories, the fact that you're a blank slate of a character so you can have whichever backstory you want... I love all of that. The DLCs contain some of the best writing in videogames, also. The developers down at Obsidian are so good with RPGs, it's nuts.

20. Freddymac1

Freddymac1 Member

As others have mentioned, NV was a little more bizarre than 3.

It had a good dose of the random, and felt more alive than 3, at least in the base-game comparison.

I played the F3 DLC's and really enjoyed them. With New Vegas, I'd moved onto other games already, and wasn't interesting in playing Fallout any more.
    Pity.

#40 Freddymac1, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2015