Quantcast

Dark Souls 2? Scholar of the First Sin?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by HalfBeard, Dec 25, 2015.

1. HalfBeard

HalfBeard Well-Known Member Regular

Hey guys, I played Dark Souls one (never finished) and liked it a lot. Dark Souls 2 and Scholar are both on sale and I was wondering what you thought of em? I'm thinking of getting em, also is Scholar worth it?

2. razer

razer Well-Known Member Regular

Scholar is basically a modified vanilla game with DLCs included - why would you buy both? I haven't played Scholar ( I did play vanilla - fantastic game) but opinions on it seem polarizing. Do some research before you buy either else you might regret it.

3. Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Regular

Scholar of the First Sin is maybe better because you'll get every piece on content in one go and it's cheaper that way I think.
    In my opinion Scholar is the one that is less "fun" to play, because the new enemy and item placements are often frustrating and there are situations that are very unfair to the player. I've always found the Souls series to be a challenging, but fair, series. Dark Souls 2 started to adopt cheap ways to kill the player so in rebuttal the player has to adopt cheap tactics to get through various obstacles that game puts in front of you. And I'm talking about the vanilla version here, Scholar's even worse at that.
    I guess if you've never played DS2 it won't feel as frustrating as it can be to a person who has played both versions, so feel free to pick up the Scholar versions if you want.

4. razer

razer Well-Known Member Regular

I heard that there is quite a bit of "ganking" in the SOTFS, that is enemy mobs ganging up on the player. That was already annoying enough in vanilla, it must be nuts now.

5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

I'd say SOTFS is the way to go here, you can get more content. What did you end up buying?

6. SLTE

SLTE Well-Known Member Regular

Yeah, I'm kind of leaning this direction too. The extra story content tacked on is kind of neat, but so much of Dark Souls' story is left up to personal interpretation anyway that I'm not sure it really matters that much. I didn't mind First Sin, but I didn't love it, either.

I recall the Shrine of Amana getting tweaked for difficulty in Scholar of the First Sin in the opposite direction. That's something, at least - I hate that area so much.