At what subscription rate would make you want to play ESO?

Discussion in 'Elder Scrolls Online' started by rivengamer, Oct 13, 2013.

1. rivengamer

rivengamer Well-Known Member

I've seen this topic a lot in forums now, and I'm just wondering if there's a rate we could all decide on. Assuming that you will still have to pay $60 for the base game, with all the necessary goodies that they are promising, at what subscription rate would you be willing if Bethesda is to entice you to play ESO?

I'm thinking around $10 or less since that's the amount I'm currently paying for a LotRO VIP subscription and it's personally the amount I'd be comfortable playing another MMO subscription. It would be better if there were *no* subscription fees but if spending means providing immense value for my gameplay experience, then I'm willing to go for it.

2. xlzqwerty1

xlzqwerty1 Well-Known Member

I would prefer just a Buy it then Play it model. I don't want to deal with monthly subscriptions - that's 120$ per year if it was at 10$ (and we know it's not going to be that low). With 120$ I could get myself a new computer part or some other electronic device for Christmas. Skyrim was worth the purchase, but it would sure as hell not be worth a monthly subscription if it had multiplayer.

Even F2P/P2W would be fine by me as I would like to try the game out, where in the future I can consider whether or not I would want to pay for ingame currency for exclusive benefits.

3. RMCMage

RMCMage Well-Known Member

I personally would say no more then $10 that's my limit personally I usually play F2P games, but that's out of the question.

4. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Well-Known Member
    Regular

$0. That's it, to me it's not about the money, even the $15 is not much when you think about what you are getting: a whole month of entertainment.

I'm just against the idea of subscription fees so I will not be supporting games which decide to use them.

5. jcairns82

jcairns82 Active Member

I think subscription fees are just the way that all media is going. It's no different than netflix, hulu plus, and everything else. At some point, we just have to decide what's worth having and what's not.

6. leahcim132

leahcim132 Well-Known Member
    Regular

Either make it free or make it a one time pay thing. I don't like how you have to pay every month to play a game. It's silly and shouldn't be done.

7. rivengamer

rivengamer Well-Known Member

There was a time when I felt the same. This may be the reason why I started playing Guild Wars and its successor: it's a one-time payment thing and you get to squeeze out all the value in the game as much as you want. True, there are microtransactions that help enhance gameplay but these are not necessary and no one is forcing you to do it.

This all change when I started playing LotRO. Now, LotRO is free-to-play but there's a subscription option (VIP) open if you choose to do so. During the course of my gameplay, I found that I liked the world, the content, and the game mechanics so much that I found it ludicrous not to go for VIP. The fact is going VIP provided immense value to a game that I already liked and with that it makes it even more worthwhile.

What I'm really saying is that although 'buy-once' is certainly a preferable and comfortable option, paying subscription fees is not necessarily a bad thing.

8. Rocketman

Rocketman Well-Known Member

My problem with it is that they've tacked on a subscription fee, an in game store, and a retail fee. That just screams cash grab. If they made it a cheap game with a $10 a month subscription fee, I'm okay with that. If they made it a $60 game with an in game store but no subscription fee, that's definitely okay with me as well. Maybe they could make the game free but give it a subscription fee and an in game store. That would be a little strange but still okay. You can't have all 3.

9. RMCMage

Of course I would want it to be F2P who wouldn't personally I would like to see them do something similar to LOTR that way if people want bonuses towards smithing or hunting or whatever they can get one of the VIP packs which can last for either a month or year.

10. FlupKe

FlupKe Member

I personally prefer the pay to play type because in most F2P you have to pay in the ingame store to access all the features and do everything. I prefer to pay the subscription and have an ingame store for useless models/pets if people want to, but not feel obligated past a certain point in the game.

11. Kexon

Kexon Member

$5 or $10 is the perfect price. Games that are P2P are much better. They have a much better customer service and the developers do not need to care about ways on making money. Like a shop where you buy xp boost or stuff that'll help you in the game. With P2P, the developers will be more focused on how to make the game better.

12. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

I think there is very little doubt it will be $15 per month. They may go $12 so that they are lower than WOW.. but it isn´t going to be below $8. What people don´t realize is that a subscription model allows the devs to plan in advance and hire the appropriate number of people.

13. dieselfit

dieselfit Active Member

I agree with most people here. I mean I prefer to not pay anything and 60$ is just outrageous if you ask me. I would prefer paying 10 or less if possible.

14. RMCMage

Either way I know for a fact I wont be getting the game as soon it comes out I am going to wait at least a year I am sure the price of the game is going to drop like crazy or at least that is what I am hoping for.

15. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member
    Regular

Waiting for the price to drop is really a double-edged sword. If the game is good, and successful, they will probably have a hard time adding servers. WOW actually had to stop selling copies for awhile because they couldn´t launch servers fast enough.. During that first 1-2 year period, they certainly didn´t drop the price of the box.

The only time box prices fall right after launch is if the game is doing poorly. At which case you wouldn´t want to buy it anyway.

16. siamsot

siamsot Member

I would prefer a free-to-play world with the option to go VIP like Lord of the Rings Online. I think that many people would go VIP if the game is good and one of them is myself. 10-15 $ would be fine for me if the game is excellent

17. BroknKyboard

BroknKyboard Well-Known Member

I definitely prefer free-to-play with an un-intrusive micro-transaction feature, but if I had to pay a fee I'd prefer $5-10 per month since that seems reasonable along with the initial $60.

18. dresdor

dresdor Well-Known Member

Not sure I'd play it at all, regardless of the price. I already have Skyrim, and I don't have to deal with annoying people there.

19. Nightfall

Nightfall Well-Known Member

Assuming that there is a base fee for $60 I wouldn't buy subscription if it cost anything more than $10. If they were to remove the base fee then sure, I'd be more inclined to pay $15 monthly. I feel like they are asking a bit too much with a $60 base fee then a $15 monthly subscription.

20. illusen

illusen Active Member

I'd like it to be around 10$, I guess. 55 euro for the game and then so much for the sub just doesn't feel like a good deal for me. I know the ingame shop will not have balance altering things, but I still dislike it !

I know some will argue that WoW is already doing this and has been for a long time now. WoW has a large fanbase AS AN MMO (not a single player), it has a strong fanbase that can take the hits, whereas TESO is just starting off in the MMO department and it just feels to me like their starting price is a bit high.