Quantcast

Are you down with RPGs with multiple endings?

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by lindbergh, May 22, 2014.

1. skullalif

skullalif Member

Multiple ending is a nah IMO, i'd prefer straight forward games, replaying is awesome, but as i experienced it, it kinda ruins the first experience (no more enjoyment in playing the game just to get a single type of stuff). You can eventually watch them in youtube anywas man.

2. vegito12

vegito12 Well-Known Member Regular

I like the endings and can give a different insight into the game and your choices can affect the world and what you do as well which can be good or bad. Some endings can be what if ones if you do certain paths or join people or kill someone than it is different and sometimes the endings can be strange or weird as well. Dragon Age Origins has different endings not fully like if you choose Bhelen as king than he prospers, and Harrowmont he has a short rule and dies so some things are affected by what you do.

3. fatguy39

fatguy39 Active Member

If there's a definitive ending with multiple, say, character endings, then great! Or if it's really stated as there's a "true" ending of which is canon, and thus you are provided with multiple definitive endings, including bad ones, then absolutely better! For example, two of my favorite RPGs has multiple endings: the Hyperdimension Neptunia series, and the Ar Tonelico ones. I'm quite glad that there's a stated true ending, because it's quite sad to see the bad endings of course.

In my opinion, one of the greatest things a game can have are multiple endings, since it's shows you other things that the plot may have turned out, especially if they're not done lazily, like in Ar Tonelico *spoilers* of which it's really sad when all your Reyvateils die in contrary to the true ending where everyone lives. It's not done in a shabby manner, and is provided with lengthy, but appropriate sequences. *spoilers end*

The only annoying side to this would be the games that do provide multiple endings, but you will have to start from scratch in order to completely change the story. Now that's really good, since it affects the whole thing, but maybe it's just me who wants only certain factors to be taken into consideration to get a different ending, other than what you've done since the start of the game.

4. Azrile

Azrile Well-Known Member Regular

For me it depends on how late in the game the multiple ending happens and the replayability up until that point. If you have to play 95% of the game exactly the same way and then make a choice near the end that determines the ending, that kinds sucks. But if the ending is the culmination of all your activities, then playing again with a completely different style would be worth it.

5. Oblivious

Oblivious Well-Known Member Regular

If all endings are properly fleshed out and leading to them requires some effort, then I'm fine with them.
    If all endings and plot devices feel rushed, then there's no point in having multiple endings.

I don't think people play RPGs for the ending though. Depending on the RPG of course, the main point is to create your character and play as you see fit. That's the beauty of RPGs.

Definitely, the ending should be something substantial that will reward your efforts (in case you play the game to completion) but I feel like [caution: use of overused expression ahead] the journey is more important than the destination. :p

6. Athilea

Athilea Well-Known Member

I like it. It gives a more immersive feel to the game to me. It also gives the game some more play-ability as you can go through it again and have the game end much differently then it had before.

7. tubestud

tubestud Well-Known Member Regular

I not only am down with them, I prefer them. Aside from the replayabilty given by different classes, dialog options, alignments, factions, etc, different endings give people even more incentive to restart the game.
    If there are different endings based on difficulty level, that's even better.

8. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member Regular

Yes, I love games that has multiple endings. I will play it all over again until I've experience all the endings of the game.

9. troutski

troutski Well-Known Member Regular

Multiple endings never hurt. It gives you a second or third take on things.

10. Obi

Obi Well-Known Member

RPG's with multiple endings are just icing on the cake. It leaves me with a really good feeling about a game when I know that the ending is geared towards the choices I made rather than a cookie cutter plot telling me that this happens no matter what I did.

Games with like 20 endings are amazing as well, things I didn't even realise would change the ending all coming together to change the story.

11. anadrotowski

anadrotowski Well-Known Member Regular

The choices should dictate what ending you get. If the choices didn't matter at all and we are given the same endings, we wouldn't care about the choices we made on our journeys. The point of the game is to get a realistic outcome after all the decisions we had to make. That way, if we decide to replay this game, we also have a chance to change the choices and get a different ending because of it.

12. SereneAngel88

SereneAngel88 Well-Known Member Regular

I like games with multiple endings because I'm not forced from the start to play in a perfect fashion just to get a bad ending. Also, it also shows me that the people who made the game actually took the time to consider the player's actions and can make a ending to reflect it. Of course, the endings need to be well written and make sense with not only the overall story but more importantly, the player's choices for it to work out.

13. Aladar

Aladar Well-Known Member

I'm torn on them. On one hand, it's cool that you can have some replayability in your game, but on the other, it makes me feel kinda bad when I put 50 hours into a game and I don't even know if I saw the real ending..

14. theGIJST

theGIJST Well-Known Member Regular

I'm alright with it. Some games pull it off nicely, while others don't as much. I loved Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and it gave you a few endings. They give you a moral choice, and it made me feel bad when I chose the bad ending. I chose every ending to see what happens, and in that game, there's not a 100% good ending. It can never be perfect, not even everything you do to make it as good as possible.

Also yeah, it's fun to replay the games if you have more possible endings.

15. Like what everyone else is saying, I think multiple endings are a lot more interesting than just one ending. It gives the game a lot more replay-ability and keeps it fresh. Plus it's just plain fun trying to find all the endings.

16. Luuchan

Luuchan Member

I am totally on-board with multiple endings! Not only would the role playing be even more personalized, I believe the storyline and characters would become even more developed. I don't know if I would play every single ending if the game ended up being too long, though. Playing through an entire RPG to get multiple endings might be a little too much.

17. niightwind

niightwind Well-Known Member

Yeah, I love RPGs with multiple endings! The only time I find multiple endings kind of frustrating is when it has a lot of the same dialogue over and over again. That's part of what I like about a lot of Visual Novels, that you can skip past any dialogue you've read already.
    In general though, love em. Especially if my gameplay and things I've done throughout the game influence how the end develops. It adds to the immersion of the game in my opinion; makes me feel like I'm more of a part of the game's world.
    Plus it is just really neat to see how the game's story changes based on different choices being made or different events happening.

18. Gamepreneur

Gamepreneur Well-Known Member Regular

Games offering multiple different endings provides a tremendous amount of replayability and lots of fun to be had, too! Chrono Cross is one of my favorites and is one of the few games where I went through the effort to beat it to get all the different endings and in fact, was one of the most enjoyable experiences I had playing a PSX game in my life.

Another notable one that was a lot of fun was Tactics Ogre, one of the lesser known grid-based RPGs but a lot like Final Fantasy Tactics, and had multiple different endings and a lot of fun to get them.

I think without replayability it makes a lot of games quite lacking and personally this is why I love RPG's so much, especially of the indie kind as you can get a multitude of different fulfilling endings :)

19. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Well-Known Member Regular

Yes, I really like when RPGs adapt to what you've done throughout the game. It definitely makes the game more attractive and the story is also much better that way.

20. Chris_A

Chris_A Well-Known Member Regular

Definitely. Multiple endings only show how much freedom a certain game gives you. However, there are still stupid ways to implement this feature (Mass Effect 3).