Anyone ever try or currently play Star Wars: The Old Republic?

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2: General Discussion' started by guildwar, Feb 14, 2012.

1. guildwar

guildwar Member

Some guys at work were talking about it and it sounded pretty cool.

2. Xerran

Xerran Senior Member

Dont waste your money on it. Star Wars fans will try to convince you that the hum-drum quests, story, gear system, and character creator are all awesome and that its not at all a copy & paste of Rift. As far as the voice acting and choices system, go play KOTOR 1 and 2 and be happy... dont waste a sub on it. Be prepared to encounter SW ep.1-3 type voice acting, with boring dialog and mono-toned voices.

Of course this is all personal opinion... OR IS IT!!?? Inquisitive-Picard-SERIOUS-FACE-ING.jpg

3. Delvie

Delvie Well-Known Member

I'm currently playing but I'm a Star Wars geek. I do have to say that it was ho hum for me the first couple of weeks on the Republic side. Then I tried Bounty Hunter on the Empire side and am now hooked. Is it the bestest game ever - nah, is it a nice change of pace until GW2 comes out - definitely. Your mileage may vary depending on how bored you are with the game you are currently playing.

4. Fishmonger

Fishmonger Active Member

i heard it was a WoW remake...that would make me dearly sad.

and whatever happend with RIFT...It had so much promise. played the beta and a week and was sorely dissapointed.

5. Deezy

Deezy Best in the World

I'm currently playing I guess. Well... still subbed. (Payed for 3 months in advance gg) haven't been able to bring myself to logon in 2 weeks. The experience up to max level was awesome in my opinion. The most relaxed/enjoyable leveling experience I've had. (I hate leveling).

The end game however is so lackluster. So far I've grinded out full Champion epic pvp gear. The upgrade to this gear is Battlemaster pvp gear which you obtain as random drops from bags from doing PvP dailies. (lol RNG) currently there are no stats or rated Warzones (battlegrounds) of any kind so it's impossible to tell how good or bad you are. I'm on an RP server too so a lot of bad players get good rep for being good by basically kissing ass. (Sorry to be blunt but it annoys me to no end).

You need valor rank 60 to be able to obtain Battlemaster gear but I've stopped at 59 because I realized there's legit no point in having battlemaster because it's such a minimal upgrade to Champion and there is no competitive warzones yet that would require you to have it. I'll re-sub once they release rated warzones. Mostly to help my guild out but really it's a decent filler until GW2.

6. Allisonlv

Allisonlv New Member

i am play it, it's good for me!

7. Zsolaith

Zsolaith Member

Meh. I was in one of the beta's and was immediately put-off from the character creation, or lack thereof. I only had the choice of bulky, mid-sized or extra skinny.

None of them fit the image of my character i was trying to make.

Meh.

8. Orien

Orien Member

SWTOR is ok. It's a good game. It's in its infancy right now and working out many kinks.

Anyone that says its a reskinned WoW is simply dismissing it w/o a fair shake. I am playing it as I am not having to pay a sub right now because of some account issues. And I would even probably be willing to shell out a sub for it as WoW is boring beyond belief and I've already decided I can't get sucked back into FFXI after taking a little over a year's break from it.

What SWTOR is: Accessible, story driven, generally fun.

What SWTOR isnt: High end MMO oriented in anyway shape or form, bug free, customizable.

BW has made it clear that they are trying to go after as broad market as possible (makes sense as a corporation, right?). To this end you wont find add-ons (yet anyway), threat meter, or even combat logs. Yes, there is no combat log at all in game. This seems to be a major point for a lot of folks and coming from a heavy raiding background I certainly understand the need for one for a lot of the number crunching we raiders do as well as kind of being necessary before any parser/meter is able to be created. But BW has stated more than once their continued reluctance in making it accessible. They really want to do all they can to keep from schisms entering the community (though it's inevitable as meters are not needed to sort out good from bad meters just make the distinction that much clearer though lead to lazy raid leaders if all they do is monitor meters). Basically saying they dont want to help create elitism in the community. I understand the sentiment but think it is honestly going to do more harm than good in the long term.

Casuals (i mean real casuals who dont raid, log in 30min-hour a day, etc) are not the ones that make up the bulk of player population 5 years down the line. At that time most people are doing some sort of raiding or organized group content. Players that do these things are usually used to having some add-ons if not all the ones the high end raiders use.

2nd MAJOR point UI customization. Terrible, beyond words. Cant move anything. Cant resize anything. Can only have 4 Action bars total while they give you enough abilities to fill out 5 action bars (someone from BW really needs to address this), no macros (seriously?), no button to auto sell trash (a nicety most mmo's being released now include) cant move action bars, and on and on.

These things are nuisances, but as far as being able to play the game w/o bugging out to the point of preventing playability those sorts of issues have been sorted at this point. They've even started adding some UI customization (can change how the GCD timer displays) with more planned in upcoming updates. That nevertheless doesnt excuse the exclusion of such things at launch.

Also I agree with Zso, in that the character creation and the limits they put on what races can be what classes are a turn off. That worked back in the old days of MMO's when people were ok with things being limited by Lore. But today the MMO experiecne is about the player being able to create their own journey, live that specific adventure they want, and have a toon that looks as cool or lame or whatever they want it to look like.

Gameplay wise SWTOR is enjoyable. But there are things lacking. This is BW's first step into an MMO and I think they are doing pretty well at adding those things they overlooked but there is still room for growth.

9. guildwar

guildwar Member

Really? Where are you buy?can you tell me

10. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Save your money... at a minimum buy someone elses account to save on this overpriced game.

Its ok as a single player game but the PvP is awful and the game has very little end game content. You can level to max level in 3-4 days. The main story is good on each of the classes but other than that the game will feel empty most of the time. If they had made it a 4 person coop or something like borderlands it would have been a better game just because it would excel in a genre its good at. As an mmo.. its substandard honestly.

My online community has nearly all canceled. A few guys are burning their last game time. The in game guild our community was a part of went from 100 or so to just 4-5 active at a time in <2 months.

11. DonQuitto

DonQuitto Well-Known Member

played it, liked it, stoped playing it.

nothing new and i really never cared for story in mmos plus pvp was fun but to much CC going on in that game :\

12. Persian

Persian Well-Known Member

wow swtor sure died quickly..

13. Maguild

Maguild Member

I didnt enjoy it as much as Id hoped. Gonna play till my gametime runs out then wait for GW2 :)

14. Esport

Esport New Member

Played it and i can not recommend this game to anyone. It is just your typical themeparked MMO, just overprized.

__
    GW2L com