Anyone else into crafting?

Discussion in 'Guild Wars 2: General Discussion' started by Delvie, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Delvie

Delvie Well-Known Member

Anyone else into crafting?

Here is the list of disciplines (from the FAQ on the home page http://guildwars2pc.com/faq

■Weaponsmiths craft melee weapons, such as swords, axes and hammers.
    ■Huntsmen craft ranged weapons like shortbows, longbows and pistols, as well as torches and warhorns.
    ■Artificers craft magical weapons such as staves and scepters.
    ■Armorsmiths craft heavy armor pieces.
    ■Leatherworkers craft medium armor pieces.
    ■Tailors craft light armor pieces.
    ■Jewelcrafters craft jewelry, such as rings and necklaces.
    ■Cooks can prepare food which characters can eat for temporary combat buffs.

Everyone can gather/harvest which includes ore, plants, and wood.

And here's a video from Gamescom http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE8FxHdgKvo

I like that you get to choose two to work with at any one time. I also like that you get recipes in a variety of ways.

2. Knives

Knives Well-Known Member

[youtube]dE8FxHdgKvo[/youtube]

i embd the video for you. I love crafting especially in vanguard. Not sure about crafting in GW2 yet, not so much information has been released. I actually think its one of the game mechanics lacking in GW2, there isn't really anything unique about it so much, hopefully that changes.

3. Level 1

Level 1 Member

I will do some with my thief if i still start with one.

4. Brains

Brains Well-Known Member

Artificer & Jewelcrafter has my interest. what special ways are there to get recipes? i haven't looked into crafting so much yet but i usually pick whatever helps my character personally the most.

5. Delvie

Delvie Well-Known Member

My understanding on recipes is that some are given as you level each craft, some are drop only, and most are discoverable - as in you combine materials and experiment to learn them. All of the crafted gear has its own look (as in not available any other way) and each discipline can craft add ons (special items that allow you to tweak a weapon, etc.). Gear in GW2 is supposed to be similar to how it works in GW1 where it is all equivalent in stats (not all the same stats but all the same magnitude, in other words no uber gear) but has very different looks depending on where it comes from.

I just realized that while I know crafting is in the game I don't believe I have seen anyone eating food in any of the videos, which means maybe that cooking wasn't ready when they prepared for the demos?

6. GamingOn

GamingOn Active Member

I like the way you can change crafts and it will remember the level you are on. That's a good quality means you can level up all professions and become very strong in this game. The graphics in this game also look great and that's a really nice quality in this game because without good graphics who would want to play? :)

7. ageofwars

ageofwars Member

Im going for cook cause i like it =P

8. FatCheeseMan

FatCheeseMan Active Member

I tend to focus on crafting with one character and leave it behind with the rest. In this case I will most likely go with something that benefits all choices such as jewelcrafting/cooking.

9. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

In some games you can just buy w/e u need from crafters cheap who are just trying to level the trade. Less work and cost (if u sell the mats). Do we know if GW will include BOP type craftables or consumables for all trades? That's the best way to keep trade vibrant I've seen (aside from the SWG system).

10. Majestic

Majestic Boo

I hope so, it will be lame if everybody has every skill, no diversity & no crafter would be considered unique over another. Crafting doesn't look to be a major focus in GW2 though.

11. DonQuitto

DonQuitto Well-Known Member

I love the randomness of crafting in this game, it gives the boring check list type crafting a good twist ;)

12. Delvie

Delvie Well-Known Member

Yeah it's very kewl. It actually could have ramifications throughout a crafting career. When they do updates it should be easy to just allow new combinations (no reason to drop recipes on vendors). If components get made in the same way then there is little need to wait for new levels with the new resource tiers (like most crafting in other MMOs does) instead they could just allow new components to be crafted which could open up a whole bunch of new stuff to make - thus crafting could have horizontal growth much like the adventuring part of the game.

My biggest hope is that when they put in housing and Guild 'Castles' that they add some construction/building focused disciplines such as masonry, carpentry, weaving, metalworking, etc. Create a whole game and economy out of improving our houses, castles, and personal instances. I find games that have a deep housing system keep me playing much longer than ones that don't. Though I know folks that don't get into this kind of thing and just use their houses for storage - lol I actually know someone who dislikes LOTRO housing cause you can't dump all your stuff in the middle of the floor and create a junk heap (like you can in EQ2 and could in SWG).